is the 8350 really that bad? (if not overclocked?)

JussiSavolainen

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
hello. i recently got the gigabyte gtx 770 4gb and im playing Dota 2 on 1920x1080 on high settings
, combined with the fx 8350.
my friend has a 2nd generation i5 something like 2550k ( cant recall the exact name) combined with a gigabyte 7950.
He has almost steady 150 fps in dota 2,
while i get 90-120. On same video settings.
Is the 8350 really so underpowered? :(

caqde

Distinguished

neieus

Distinguished
There could be other factors for the difference also such as memory used, video cards being different and other stuff running in the back ground. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that while the systems maybe comparable there are enough differences to account for some variance. Heck even then you have to consider that some games run better from one video card to another.

JussiSavolainen

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

im talking about those cards
http://

JussiSavolainen

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

the only thing that runs in the background is steam, battle.net and the nvidia experience

FX 8350 isn't really as strong as the i5 in gaming, at least in more single threaded heavy games. FX 8350 might not be able to keep up with newer i3s and pentiums in some cases. I believe dota is a game that is a more single threaded game which would explain the fps. It's not really a big deal past 60fps in my opinion. If you have 60 Hz monitor, you might get the annoying screen tearing in most games.

JussiSavolainen

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

this sounds logical. i play planetside2, wildstar on ULTRA decently. we havent compared the fps in those games though.
i know its not big deal, but i've paid much more and i get lower performance and this is disappoints me. you understand :p

Montblanchill

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
With a 770 and an 8350 I doubt you're getting any bottlenecking in Dota 2.

His advantage is likely just down to settings or driver optimisation.

Nothing wrong with your hardware though, should be no need to worry. In general the i5 will perform better in the majority of games but we're talking minimal fps gains, nowhere near the difference you're seeing there. As I said likely down to settings, or perhaps even the amount of tasks running in the background (with an 8350 this should be no issue, but it can detract from performance if you're running a lot of other tasks).

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

cpuboss is a click bait site, if you want real comparison between the two check out reviews, other than that yes fx 8350 is a lot slower, no matter how far you oc it, i7 will be faster in everything,that holds specially true for i=online games where strong single threaded performance is mostly needed and the fx just doesn't have it, my new pentium ae system @4,7 ghz runs circles around my fx 8350 @5,0ghz in all online games, if you have a choice always go intel

Actually there are some games that will gain noticeable fps between the i5 vs the fx 8350. Some of the more recent ones don't really show that as much, but games prior to the past half year to year do have some difference in fps. Only a few games show where the fx 8350 keeps up with the i5 or passes it (assuming all else equivalent of some sort). The fx 8350 won't bottleneck anything, but there is a benefit to having a stronger single thread cpu in some things is basically what I'm saying.

Unless you have a 120-144 hz monitor. There is no real difference in performance at the frame rate you are playing at, turn on vsync to remove frame tearing, if necessary, and you'd be at 60fps, if you're using a 60Hz monitor.

Between the i5 vs fx 8350, it's stronger in applications that would benefit more from multiple cores and multitasking. It's still a good processor especially for its price. The i5 is stronger in single threaded applications. It's a trade off. If you ever do any kind of video editing, live streaming, or 3d rendering, the 8 core would do better in those aspects.

caqde

Distinguished

Having a look on their forums I found people with i5-2500k's getting 10-11 FPS that had 780Ti's so..... Yeah.... Seems Diablo III performance issues are common regardless of how powerful a CPU you have....

EDIT: for more fun you can also find people with OC 4770K's having the same issue

If you're getting 10-12 fps in d3 with nothing around then that's a problem, but if there is a lot going on in the game, then it's the game. Almost all of blizzard's games as far as I know aren't very well optimized. It's engine sided as far as I'm aware.

JussiSavolainen

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

oh glad to hear that.. i mean im glad im not the only one..

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

The 280x is not faster than the 780! Its at the same level as the 770.

caqde

Distinguished

For that game (Dota 2) it is.. If you would read the whole thread you may have understood that.... Not that it really matters as most cards get good enough FPS in that game to begin with. But for most concerns yes the 780 is faster than the 280x. But it seems at least at the time of that benchmark (Feb 2014) that the 280x was a tad bit faster than the 780 in Dota 2.

bobbybamf12

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Well his cpu has better single thread performance. That's why his fps is so much higher. It's definitely not the gpu's both gpu's should easily handle that game at highest settings. I don't think Dota 2 is thread very well because it doesn't really have to be. That's why his pc run's the game so much better. For example, my friend has a i7 3770 and a hd 6850 1gb card, I have a FX 6350 overclock to 4.5ghz and a R9 270x 2gb card. When we play WoW i get between 60-90 fps on ultra. His setup even though he has a lot weaker gpu he gets between 80-115fps both our rigs have 1080p monitors. WoW doesn't used more then 2 cores so his pc wins.

JussiSavolainen

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
2mgjacj.jpg

about the max_fps thing , you were right. I could set it from console to 200.
But still mine performs worse!
But anyway

The 8350 is slower in games that don't use many cores/threads. Dota 2 is an example of that. You can expect it to be slower. I only skim-read this thread, but which motherboard do you have? You could try overclocking a little if it's capable.

The GPU on the other hand makes little difference in this instance.