Solved

Broke USB Stick. Recover Files?

Here's the story. I've been working off of a couple Excel files on my USB stick since I don't have a single computer to work on, saving on the USB, not the PC as I went along. Yesterday, the USB broke in two, at the silver part (So the part that actually goes into the computer has broken off). I was wondering if there are any temporary excel files in the PC that I can use to restore the data. Or is it gone forever. I was working on both Windows XP and Windows 7, on Excel 2007 and 2010 respectively.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about broke usb stick recover files
  1. Unless excel auto saves, I really doubt it. How broke is it? If the metal shielding just came off and you still have the pins intact you might be able to salvage it. Gonna need pictures though.
  2. Can you post pics of the drive? It's possible you can repair it, at least enough to recover the files before you toss it.
  3. mouse24 said:
    Unless excel auto saves, I really doubt it. How broke is it? If the metal shielding just came off and you still have the pins intact you might be able to salvage it. Gonna need pictures though.


    Anonymous said:
    Can you post pics of the drive? It's possible you can repair it, at least enough to recover the files before you toss it.


    Pictures:
    http://37.media.tumblr.com/e93ce62963a37912f72fc9d17b226de1/tumblr_n9j2v5nxWE1rqowzvo1_250.jpg
    http://37.media.tumblr.com/7a99be85c0abecd679f84c4f4c67dbd7/tumblr_n9j2v5nxWE1rqowzvo2_250.jpg
    http://38.media.tumblr.com/3c1257847b81981e4a83f00f089b8836/tumblr_n9j2v5nxWE1rqowzvo3_500.jpg
  4. If you open the casing, you may be able to resolder the connector back onto it.
  5. Best answer
    Well on the negative side its completely broke, the plus side is it looks like its a clean break so if you know anyone that can solder then they can fix it for your pretty easily. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.
  6. mouse24 said:
    Well on the negative side its completely broke, the plus side is it looks like its a clean break so if you know anyone that can solder then they can fix it for your pretty easily. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.


    Thanks
    Do you know how much it would cost to pay someone to do that?
Ask a new question

Read More

Storage USB Stick Excel