780 Ti: Expensive DirectCU-ii vs Cheaper Reference

rlakhani11

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
I may have read more than 50 articles/reviews/forum discussions/benchmarks/number comparisons etc. etc. combined, but still ambiguous about it. There are many discussions here on tom's too but as usual, largely out of context for me. So here it is,

Reference models:
- are generally considered better if SLI is on the horizon;
- could possibly achieve better overclocks than factory-OC'ed models, but then they tend to overheat a lot more in comparison;
- may not sit too well with positive airflow due to their DHT/blower-type cooler;
- of Asus and EVGA are exactly the same specs wise, except for the 300W max. power draw of Asus vs. 250W of EVGA (http://www.gpuzoo.com/Compare/ASUS_GTX780TI-3GD5__vs__EVGA_03G-P4-2881-KR/#perf). Also, this gpuzoo comparison shows EVGA having reference PCB, while newegg images show the custom one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487001&cm_re=evga_gtx_780_ti-_-14-487-001-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121822

1. Is all the above correct?
2. EVGA reference is not available to me, but is there a big possible performance difference between it and Asus's reference?
3. Not only I do plan to SLI in future, but the cost difference between the reference and dcu-ii is drastic. I may get a second-hand reference card from a good source for $630, but the new DCU-II will surely cost me minimum $800. Is it worth paying $170 for the DCU-II?
4. Is a WB necessary to OC the reference model?
5. I read many bad things about 780 Ti WindForce 3 GHZ and OC models (including newegg user reviews). But still if I had the WF3 OC available too for $630, would it have been a better choice over Asus reference?

Or should I just stick to my GB 770 2gb and get a little bit better performance out of it by installing windows 8/8.1 :) ). Now this surely will sound stupid and completely out of context, but some people do suggest that windows 7 has some ugly issues in terms of gaming performance.

Thanks very much.

Solution
not really, the non matrix are mid range along with the evga and the msi, lightning, inno3d dhs and platinum are high end, these are definitely top 3, but the order of them is arguable but that's not to say the other models are bad, I'm just telling you the high end ones, mid end ones are just as good really , maybe 5-10fps difference

hypergon

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
You could run furmark or any other gpu benchmark google can find you...

There is no (up to date) program to check the vram of the card, only way to check is probably to play a vram intensive game and look for anomalies

rlakhani11

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Thanks. I knew Furmark, 3Dmark11, Kombuster and some other but didn't know exactly what to use.

By the way which games do you think are heavy VRAM intensive? Some ppl say BF4 but other don't agree. I think Watch Dogs too is right up there. You suggestion will really matter.

Thanks very much.

hypergon

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
BF4 never uses more than ~2.4 GB vram (depends on map) with my r9 280x, playing on ultra with 2x msaa (not 4x) and resolution scale on 100%. Your 780ti could max out ultra with higher resolution scale so it could get to 3gb usage (as said, depends on map)

rlakhani11

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
I only play single player. Watch Dogs completely chokes 2GB 770. Do you think it could do the same to Ti with Supersourav99's "Pure Visuals" mod, since he suggests it's made for Ti SLI setup?

rlakhani11

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
So, finally I'm not buying any of the Ti's but a brand new Asus 780 DCU-II for CAD$ 630 (incl. GST).

Please let me know if it's a better decision, as I've read at lots and lots of places that Asus has made marginally/arguably the best 780 there is. Is this true?

you're right in a way, the asus matrix platinum is one of the best along with the msi lightning and the inno3d 780 DHS edition

not really, the non matrix are mid range along with the evga and the msi, lightning, inno3d dhs and platinum are high end, these are definitely top 3, but the order of them is arguable but that's not to say the other models are bad, I'm just telling you the high end ones, mid end ones are just as good really , maybe 5-10fps difference

Solution

rlakhani11

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
I think I'll be good with the non-matrix purchase for the time being. It's not that it would've mattered anyway if I changed my mind. My cousin has already made the purchase in Canada half an hour back :).

So thanks a lot to all the brilliant and kind people who spared their precious time to help me out.

TRENDING THREADS