i3 4330 vs. FX 6300

Solution
Contrary to popular belief, the FX-6300 is not exactly a six-core processor. Yes, it has six cores, but it only has three floating point units (FPU), meaning that only three cores can be used simultaneously. When you compare that to a dual-core and hyper-threaded i3 which has much stronger single-core performance, the FX looks rather weak.

Like you said, the upgrade path is much better with the i3. The AM3+ socket of the FX has been around for a long time and AMD haven't released any new processors for nearly a year. They seem to be concentrating more on their APU series, which uses the FM2 socket.

Go for the i3; better per-core performance, lower heat and better upgradeability.

arges86

Distinguished
I can't remember if Minecraft is MultiThreaded (it didn't used to be, and this mod fixed thathttp://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/1272953-optifine-hd-a4-fps-boost-hd-textures-aa-af-and).
If it is, then the 6300 is the way to go.
If its not, then you'll need brute single core power and then the 4330 is the clear winner:
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-4330-vs-AMD-FX-6300

Contrary to popular belief, the FX-6300 is not exactly a six-core processor. Yes, it has six cores, but it only has three floating point units (FPU), meaning that only three cores can be used simultaneously. When you compare that to a dual-core and hyper-threaded i3 which has much stronger single-core performance, the FX looks rather weak.

Like you said, the upgrade path is much better with the i3. The AM3+ socket of the FX has been around for a long time and AMD haven't released any new processors for nearly a year. They seem to be concentrating more on their APU series, which uses the FM2 socket.

Go for the i3; better per-core performance, lower heat and better upgradeability.

Solution

arges86

Distinguished
If your going for upgrade-ability, then the LGA 1150 socket in the Intel CPU is the way to go.
You can get the i3 now, then upgrade later to something like the i5 4570 or 4670K.
Those CPUs over tremendous performance per dollar.