FX-8350 VCore, Frequency and Prime95

chankey007

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
tutswiki.com
I am facing issues with temperature while playing BF3. I found that one reason was Turbo core, it was causing high voltage and high clock resulting in high temp. So I played a bit with the VCore.

VCore: 1.2875, Clock: 4GHz, Prime95 Blend Test for 10 minutes = Pass
VCore: 1.25, Clock: 4GHZ, Prime95 = Fails (Windows gives error: Your PC ran into a problem).

Question: Should I stay at 1.25 or 1.2875? The reason I'm asking this is that at 1.25 everything works fine except the P95 test. I play BF3, it doesn't give any issue, I do development using VMware etc and all works fine, actually BF3 is the only high load activity I do on my system.

PS: I'm not overclocking, just trying to stay at stock but dropping voltage to deal with heat issues, until I figure out my heat problem (which will be solved by a better cooler I think, my current cooler is cheap, or maybe there's some other reason for this, which I'm trying to find out in another thread which I linked at the top of this thread).

Solution
I wouldn't drop it. Even if you're not BSODing now with normal applications, instability isn't a measure of a boolean condition -- i.e. your PC will or will not BSOD -- it's a word to designate how likely you are to BSOD. You could always be working on something important or intensive in future when your PC all of a sudden shuts down, in fact you could shut down when not doing anything intensive at all sometimes. Sure it's rare, but if you're unstable you're increasing the likelihood of that happening. If I were you, the first things I'd do is try cleaning off and reapplying thermal paste. Also, try situating your PC is a cooler area of your office/room.

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
I wouldn't drop it. Even if you're not BSODing now with normal applications, instability isn't a measure of a boolean condition -- i.e. your PC will or will not BSOD -- it's a word to designate how likely you are to BSOD. You could always be working on something important or intensive in future when your PC all of a sudden shuts down, in fact you could shut down when not doing anything intensive at all sometimes. Sure it's rare, but if you're unstable you're increasing the likelihood of that happening. If I were you, the first things I'd do is try cleaning off and reapplying thermal paste. Also, try situating your PC is a cooler area of your office/room.

Solution

chankey007

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
tutswiki.com

OK. I'll stay at 1.2875V then. Does 10 minutes of P95 test proves it's stable or should I test more? I have read people here testing for 24 hours or so but I don't have that much time, is 10 minutes fine?

Also regarding the thermal paste, I did that. Could you please check the linked thread because I'm discussing about temperature issue there, I don't want to mix things up in this thread. Thanks!

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
10 minutes is nowhere near enough. I kinda read past that the first time, but seeing that you failed 10 minutes or less of Prime95 is a huge indicator of a terribly unstable CPU. If you're strapped for time, at least 2 or 4 hours of Prime95 is like bare minimum "stable". 12 hours is stable by the standards of most gamers and people who don't do very important tasks on their PC, and 24 hours is if it's a workstation or you actually do really important stuff on your computer and can't afford your PC losing data or crashing. I'm sorry but I myself am strapped for time and will read the other forum later when I get a chance. As for a CPU cooler that'll help, try for a Hyper 212 EVO for $30 USD. Also, I recommend that if you haven't already, make sure you hit the "default settings" switch in your BIOS/UEFI in case you accidentally touched something that's making your temps or stability worse than it should be at stock.

chankey007

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
tutswiki.com

OK, I'll put it for 24 hours this weekend.

By the way I'm confused about this stability, if you don't check the stability then your PC may face issues like crash/hang/bluescreen. The disadvantage in this case is losing of data, right? Window may get corrupt and you'll have to reinstall it, right?

If I keep a backup of my system, then it's fine?

chankey007

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
tutswiki.com

If that's the only disadvantage in this case and as long as it doesn't cause any harm to my hardware then I'm fine with that. I have novabackup professional which backs up my data on weekly basis.

I'll play a bit more with the VCore and frequencies though, but this thread is resolved now. Cheers!