Sign in with
Your question

i5 4690 / 4690K does the next generation polymer TIM lot more better than the 4690 not K version?

Last response: in CPUs
July 31, 2014 10:14:34 PM

hi there, im going to upgrade my rig,, ill get the MSI H97 Gaming 3 and i5 4690,, but i confused with the new i5 4690K devil's canyon,
it said the K version come with the next generation polymer TIM,, which improves the temperature,, even if im going with the 4690K i wont overclock my CPU , because i only use it for gaming and editing some photos and videos.
so is it worth to spend more money to get the K version NGPTIM?
the TIM that intel said is the one come inside the CPU die not the pre applied on the stock heatsink right?

will the K version run cooler than the not K version on the stock clocks ?
for the heatsink itself i'll use my CoolerMaster TX 3 Evo with Xigmatek Freezing Point-G4718 TIM.
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2014 10:23:22 PM

LittleNezt said:
hi there, im going to upgrade my rig,, ill get the MSI H97 Gaming 3 and i5 4690,, but i confused with the new i5 4690K devil's canyon,
it said the K version come with the next generation polymer TIM,, which improves the temperature,, even if im going with the 4690K i wont overclock my CPU , because i only use it for gaming and editing some photos and videos.
so is it worth to spend more money to get the K version NGPTIM?
the TIM that intel said is the one come inside the CPU die not the pre applied on the stock heatsink right?

will the K version run cooler than the not K version on the stock clocks ?
for the heatsink itself i'll use my CoolerMaster TX 3 Evo with Xigmatek Freezing Point-G4718 TIM.

Overclocking will yield a noticeable advantage, especially for gaming.

If you are not Overclocking then, even using the stock heatsink, you will have low temperatures anyway.
m
l
July 31, 2014 10:40:22 PM

thanks for the fast reply,

im not going to OCing my next CPU, i just want my cpu runs on more cooler temps.

will the K version with NGPTIM will run more cooler than the not K version, and is it worth the money?
for theTX3 evo heatsink i already have it from my current build.
m
l
Related resources
August 4, 2014 4:53:26 AM

LittleNezt said:
thanks for the fast reply,

im not going to OCing my next CPU, i just want my cpu runs on more cooler temps.

will the K version with NGPTIM will run more cooler than the not K version, and is it worth the money?
for theTX3 evo heatsink i already have it from my current build.

If you don't won't to overclock what is point of buying the "k" version?
Go with i5-4690. You really only wasting money.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2014 5:50:35 AM

I expect that the new NGPTIM would only really start to show benefits whilst overclocking.

At stock, I would be surprised if the NGPTIM made a single degree of difference, given that the amount of heat you're looking to shift is proportionally quite low. Perhaps if both chips were at full load, the NGPTIM might shave off a degree or two, if you're really lucky - but this is hardly going to be noticable at stock, and would in no way impact the performance.
m
l
!