R9 290 Drivers "Not Responding" and Crashing

davis28905

Reputable
Jun 30, 2014
CPU: AMD FX6300
GPU: AMD R9 290 (reference card)
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2400MHz
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
CPU and GPU have stock coolers for the time being.

I am having problems with the drivers "Not Responding" and crashing with my R9 290. It happens during normal use, such as browsing Facebook, and during gaming. with every game I own. It happens with Battlefield 3 and 4, Minecraft, Garry's Mod, everything. Using MSI Afterburner, I have set a fan speed, disabled ULPS, and forced a constant voltage. Nothing has worked. I have also used "Display Driver Uninstaller" and uninstalled and reinstalled my drivers to no prevail. Any ideas on what is wrong with my card? It has been doing this since I put in my freshly built computer back in January.

TiluChris

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
Have nearly same card than you (290X) and was facing both "Display Driver stopped responding..." and BSOD with atikdmag.sys issues. I have seen many solutions proposed in different sites and forums, but none of those were working for me, until I got recommended to use Microsoft Fix it 50848 for Windows 7. I used it once only and after that all was working! I was so happy. Since then, sporadically, mostly after my game gets a bigger update, I still get the case "Display Driver stopped....". When it happens, I simply re-run Fix it 50848, after that clean my registry (if you have no registry cleaner, you can use cost free version of CC cleaner), and all is OK again. So, it is true, ideal would be that it does not come anymore. But less than once a week, and then immediately solved by this little application, I can live with. I would recommend you to give it a try. I whish you that it works as well as it did for me. :)

Note the dates beside posts when replying. The original poster of this thread hasn't responded in over a month and is unlikely to still be looking for answers or we would have heard something by now.

On a separate note, for most of these driver issues, uninstalling using Display driver uninstaller (Google it) and reinstalling with the new CCC 14.9 drivers seems to be working for a fairly high number of people that were having issues with newer cards and the 14.4 drivers.

TiluChris

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
For a feedback about my case: I have not needed to go for Display Driver Uninstaller.

Within the forum, there is another thread where someone explains that for him, the solution came from a - to my eyes - quite surprising action: In the AMD Catalyst Center, in the section Video, sub-section Color, he has changed the selection from default to something different (whatever). After that, he had never again troubles. Well, why not? So, I have tried it. And... Same on my side! Since I have done that, no troubles anymore. At all. No black screen. No BSOD. All run smooth and trouble free. So, I cannot pretend to know how this can I have an impact, but I don't care, I just enjoy... up to next event! Then I will be back :sarcastic:

Link to that thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1927734/black-screen-installing-amd-drivers-radeon-290.html