Solved

Is my motherboard good for a GTX 780 ti?

Hey there,
I've been planning on replacing my GTX 760 with a GTX 780 ti, but I'm not too sure if the motherboard I have can handle it.

My motherboard is a IPMMB-FM Formosa (link to the motherboard page overview)

Feedback would be appreciated in knowing if I need to upgrade the motherboard or not.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about motherboard good gtx 780
  1. Best answer
    yes it can, a 780 ti uses a pcie x16 3.0 and your motherboard has one
  2. No you don't need to replace the motherboard to be honest it would even work in a PCI-E 1.0 or 2.0 slot it just wouldn't be working at full speed as PCI-E cards are backwards compatible with older slots. Now the only issue you may run into is the longer card not fitting in your case or your PSU not being strong enough to handle the 780Ti.
  3. caqde said:
    No you don't need to replace the motherboard to be honest it would even work in a PCI-E 1.0 or 2.0 slot it just wouldn't be working at full speed as PCI-E cards are backwards compatible with older slots. Now the only issue you may run into is the longer card not fitting in your case or your PSU not being strong enough to handle the 780Ti.


    Well I currently do have a 600W PSU, but I am definitely replacing that soon with a 1000W PSU. As for my case, I'm also getting a bigger one since the one I have is extremely small and thin, I haven't decided which one I'm getting though.
  4. Netherst0rm said:
    caqde said:
    No you don't need to replace the motherboard to be honest it would even work in a PCI-E 1.0 or 2.0 slot it just wouldn't be working at full speed as PCI-E cards are backwards compatible with older slots. Now the only issue you may run into is the longer card not fitting in your case or your PSU not being strong enough to handle the 780Ti.


    Well I currently do have a 600W PSU, but I am definitely replacing that soon with a 1000W PSU. As for my case, I'm also getting a bigger one since the one I have is extremely small and thin, I haven't decided which one I'm getting though.


    As long as your 600W PSU is from a reputable company you should be fine. A 1000W PSU is overkill for a Single GPU system and will just be a waste of money and electricity as that PSU would be consistently underutilized as they are rated to be efficient when between 20% and 80%.
  5. caqde said:
    Netherst0rm said:
    caqde said:
    No you don't need to replace the motherboard to be honest it would even work in a PCI-E 1.0 or 2.0 slot it just wouldn't be working at full speed as PCI-E cards are backwards compatible with older slots. Now the only issue you may run into is the longer card not fitting in your case or your PSU not being strong enough to handle the 780Ti.


    Well I currently do have a 600W PSU, but I am definitely replacing that soon with a 1000W PSU. As for my case, I'm also getting a bigger one since the one I have is extremely small and thin, I haven't decided which one I'm getting though.


    As long as your 600W PSU is from a reputable company you should be fine. A 1000W PSU is overkill for a Single GPU system and will just be a waste of money and electricity as that PSU would be consistently underutilized as they are rated to be efficient when between 20% and 80%.


    Yeah I guess you're right, it is pretty overkill hahaha. I am wanting to switch out my 600W PSU because I've heard that 600W is the minimal requirement for a GTX 780 Ti, so to be on the safe side it'd be better to replace it with something a tiny bit more powerful.
  6. What 780 ti are you getting? some require a 650W recommended
  7. legend001523 said:
    What 780 ti are you getting? some require a 650W recommended


    I really kind of figuring out on which one to get,
    a lot of people say that the ones from EVGA are the best, while others say the ASUS and Gigabyte ones are better.

    I've been more leaning towards an EVGA one, but it's hard to choose.
  8. Budget? i can recommend you some
  9. legend001523 said:
    Budget? i can recommend you some


    I got close to mid $800-$900 saved up here, of course the extra money is for a new case and whatnot, but I can go pretty high.
  10. so budget aint a issue? Do you plan on ocing? any colour schemes?
  11. legend001523 said:
    so budget aint a issue? Do you plan on ocing? any colour schemes?


    Nah, budget ain't really an issue here as I've been saving up for quite a while now.
    Honestly, I can care less about OCing, never was really fond of it.
    Not sure about colour schemes.
  12. Okay, so...
    Asus DCII - Great starter for 780 Ti , lowest you can aim for
    Galaxy HOF edition - Base clock is over 1ghz, can run bf4 at 80fps ultra
    EVGA superclocked - Base clock over 1ghz, there are 2 versions, w/ACX cooler and one without, some say the acx cooler is better and vice versa, you choice really
    and there is the evga classified but since you don't oc, you won't need to buy that
  13. legend001523 said:
    Okay, so...
    Asus DCII - Great starter for 780 Ti , lowest you can aim for
    Galaxy HOF edition - Base clock is over 1ghz, can run bf4 at 80fps ultra
    EVGA superclocked - Base clock over 1ghz, there are 2 versions, w/ACX cooler and one without, some say the acx cooler is better and vice versa, you choice really
    and there is the evga classified but since you don't oc, you won't need to buy that


    Alright thanks a lot man, I'll look into them.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx Motherboards