Solved

AMD FX-8320 Overheating on a new build, need advice on cooling![Urgent]

Hi! These are my specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8320 ( with stock cooler )
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 ( will upgrade later )
Mainboard: Asrock 990FX Killer
RAM: Kingston HyperX BEAST 8GB (2x4GB)
HDD: Toshiba 1TB, 7200rpm, 32MB, SATA 3
Power Supply: Inter-Tech Energon, 750W
Case: Raidmax Viper GX ( 2 coolers, front&back )
Windows 8.1
--------------------
Ok, so... i've been having some problems:
1. Cpu Temp: 47/60*C while idle, or using Chrome.
When playing Battlefield 3 it goes up to almost 70* C
2. Gpu Temp: 49/60*C, the same issue.
3. HDD Temps are ok, 34* C , but sometimes it gets very slow and when i look at Task Mananger, it says 100% Usage.
This is a new pc, i built it myself, and i've installed everything correctly, the thermal paste is the one that came with the heatsink.

Is my moderboard overclocking my CPU ? Because i don't think it's running on stock settings. If i disable Turbo Boost the temps go up to 80% !! And i can't turn overclocking off from Bios, the lowest setting is 15 % , can you please give me some advice, what should i do ? I know that the stock cooler isn't very good, but i also don't think that 60*C is a good idle temp. Bios is up to date, and it's running on default settings, except that i turned on Turbo Boost so it doesn't get fried. The overclock default setting was " Auto ", now it's 15% and i can't turn it off.
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about amd 8320 overheating build advice cooling urgent
  1. What temperature monitoring programs have you been using? Some are said to give inaccurate temps for AMD CPUs.
    EDIT: Read this for more info:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2122665/understanding-temperature-amd-cpus-apus.html
  2. what kind of CPU cooler do you have on it?
  3. gear999 said:
    What temperature monitoring programs have you been using? Some are said to give inaccurate temps for AMD CPUs.
    EDIT: Read this for more info:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2122665/understanding-temperature-amd-cpus-apus.html


    Amd OverDrive and F-Stream Tuning(it came with my motherboard cd) I'm sure the temps are right, it also burns like hell when i touch it.
  4. Then it's the stock cooler, those are known to be crappy, especially on AMD CPUs.
  5. delellod123 said:
    what kind of CPU cooler do you have on it?


    The stock cooler that comes with FX-8320 series... it's really noisy, but i don't think i should have such temps while idle
  6. AOD should report *thermal margin*

    Heat is driven by volts .... what might yours be ??
  7. Get a Hyper212plus. Stock cooler is not sufficient for a 15% over clock.
  8. Wisecracker said:
    AOD should report *thermal margin*

    Heat is driven by volts .... what might yours be ??



    Frequency: 3675 Mhz
    Multiplier: 17.50 x
    Voltage: 1.225 V
    Thermal Margin: 47.9 *C
  9. delellod123 said:
    Get a Hyper212plus. Stock cooler is not sufficient for a 15% over clock.


    I can't afford it at the moment, maybe next month, do you have any solution until then ?
    Also, is Hyper 212 EVO good enough ? Or do you think i should invest in a more powerfull cpu ?
  10. also disable overclock. Turn OC MODE to manual. Under CPU configuration, turn OVERCLOCK MODE to Manual.

    Change CPU frequency to 200
    Keep Turbo mode on AUTO
    Change MULTIPLIER to MANUAL, then change multiplier to 18.

    Keep all else on auto
  11. Yes EVO will work
  12. delellod123 said:
    also disable overclock. Turn OC MODE to manual. Under CPU configuration, turn OVERCLOCK MODE to Manual.

    Change CPU frequency to 200
    Keep Turbo mode on AUTO
    Change MULTIPLIER to MANUAL, then change multiplier to 18.

    Keep all else on auto


    Ok, i changed the CPU frequency to 200 from BIOS , but i can't find the option to change the multiplier , should i do this from Amd Overdrive ?
    Whoa, Thermal Margin dropped to 24.5 , and multiplier is at 17.50 should i change it to 18 from Amd Overdrive ?
  13. Quote:
    Frequency: 3675 Mhz
    Multiplier: 17.50 x
    Voltage: 1.225 V
    Thermal Margin: 47.9 *C


    That looks really good -- almost great, in fact.

    You might have an OC-Monster with a CM cooler ...
  14. don't use windows software to over clock. Only BIOS.
    Multiplier towards bottom. See screen shot i found...
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fullimage.php?image=56858
  15. delellod123 said:
    don't use windows software to over clock. Only BIOS.
    Multiplier towards bottom. See screen shot i found...
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fullimage.php?image=56858


    Ok, found it, i changed it from 17.5 to 18 , and now i have higher Thermal Margin Temp: 39 , also Bios showing Cpu Temp: 60 *
    Settings:

    Multiplier/Voltage Change: Manual
    Cpu Frequency Multiplier: x18.0 3600Mhz
    Cpu Voltage 1.2250V
    NB Frequency Multiplie: x11.0 2200Mhz
    HT Bus Speed: Auto
    HT Bus Width 16 bit

    Are these ok ?
  16. that seems high. Can you turn your CPU fan and Case fans up a bit? put them in turbo for the mean time. you need a better cpu cooler though. get the 212 EVO you inquired about. Make sure your case fans are creating a good pull (front or bottom side) push (top by CPU) environment.
  17. delellod123 said:
    that seems high. Can you turn your CPU fan and Case fans up a bit? put them in turbo for the mean time. you need a better cpu cooler though. get the 212 EVO you inquired about. Make sure your case fans are creating a good pull (front or bottom side) push (top by CPU) environment.


    All fans are at full speed, i went for x17.5 multiplier , and now it's running at 40 * C , i guess that's quite ok for now, until i get a new CPU cooler, right ? Thanks a loooot i owe you a beer !
  18. Best answer
    no prob! Keep it on the 17.5 until new cooler, i agree. Though 20 degrees is a huge leap for 100mhz. May be reading error. For now though, keep it where it is.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overheat Temperature FX Thermal Compound AMD BIOS Cooling Build High temps New Build ASrock CPUs Asrock 990FX Killer Overclocking Heatsinks Temp Problem Help Burner Kingston FX-8320