Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Booting Windows 7 from a USB Drive/External HDD?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • External Hard Drive
  • USB Drive
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
August 1, 2014 3:12:51 PM

I recently built myself a new desktop computer and downloaded the Windows 7 OS onto my external HDD and a flash drive and tried to boot up the comp from there. I went into BIOS and made them both priority after the other didn't work and i'm still getting no results. I downlaod Unetbootin and it brings me to an error screen with a 10 second count down and it tells me to hit tab. Anyone know how i can get this to work and stop getting error messages? i

More about : booting windows usb drive external hdd

a c 624 $ Windows 7
August 1, 2014 3:17:04 PM

Quote:
downloaded the Windows 7 OS onto my external HDD and a flash drive and tried to boot up the comp from there.

What do you mean by "downloaded" ? From where, and how?
m
0
l
August 1, 2014 3:22:44 PM

My friend had it on his computer and sent me the file and I put it on an external HDD and a USB.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 624 $ Windows 7
August 1, 2014 3:26:21 PM

CombatWombat55 said:
My friend had it on his computer and sent me the file and I put it on an external HDD and a USB.


"It" what.....

You have your own license key for this? You can't use your friends.

To install Windows from a USB, see this:
Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 1, 2014 4:58:51 PM

CombatWombat55 said:
I recently built myself a new desktop computer and downloaded the Windows 7 OS onto my external HDD and a flash drive and tried to boot up the comp from there. I went into BIOS and made them both priority after the other didn't work and i'm still getting no results. I downlaod Unetbootin and it brings me to an error screen with a 10 second count down and it tells me to hit tab. Anyone know how i can get this to work and stop getting error messages? i


Well I hope your friend has an actual Retail disk and just made an ISO for a faster install through USB. Otherwise it's most likely a cracked version of windows and you will receive no support from me. But if it is a legit version of windows, you have to make that device you put it on Bootable. You cant just drag and drop a file and load it. You pretty much have to reformat that particular drive/usb to be read as a bootdisk. Which there are programs that will do it, it just takes forever.

But first before we go further. How did your friend obtain this file?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 1, 2014 5:00:15 PM

USAFRet said:
CombatWombat55 said:
My friend had it on his computer and sent me the file and I put it on an external HDD and a USB.


"It" what.....

You have your own license key for this? You can't use your friends.

To install Windows from a USB, see this:
Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool


And if his friend does have a cd key for that disk, he can use it. He just has to call MS and they issue a new one.
m
0
l
August 2, 2014 2:35:27 AM

Guys I say again stop torrenting and downloading pirated software- if you are caught you'll have to pay a fine that is more than the price of the full version software.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2014 10:52:31 AM

Indeed. Even though Microsoft really doesn't care, unless you're running a business, if you download the wrong file or don't have a friend with a retail disk than can make a legal "Backup" of the disk, then you are putting yourself at risk. For example, if your friend downloaded that cracked windows 7 from a site, it could have hidden viruses/backdoors on the installation file that will instantly infect your computer. Also, there could be a "Tracker File" embedded within it as well. So all in all, be safe and just buy the disk or only accept Retail Backups. Windows 7 is only like 60 bucks now anyways. And windows 8, if your hardware is compatible, is the better choice now that they fixed a lot of issues with 8.1.
m
0
l
!