$800-$1000 CAD and gaming PC

arlemedra

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014
Hello and first of all thank you for reading my post and any response you may give. As the title suggests I am looking to build a desktop capable of rendering 3D models in CAD, as well as playing some games on the side. This isn't my first build, but frankly I know nothing about CAD because this is for my brother, so I need a little help. He already has a mouse, but needs a budget keyboard and monitor.

I'm willing to answer any questions or provide any further information.

Solution
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($144.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Killer ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($128.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($162.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($356.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Enermax ECA3253-BL ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows...
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($144.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Killer ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($128.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($162.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($356.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Enermax ECA3253-BL ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Gigabyte GK-FORCE K7 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1056.37

Solution

arlemedra

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014

Okay that looks much better. Can you tell me what I'm supposed to be looking for in a system that will be primarily running CAD? My first course would to just build a gaming PC, because he'll be playing some games too, but I'm not sure if that will be good enough for what he needs for his work.

Edit: He won't be doing any serious overclocking if any at all.

if you want
i can make the rig closer in your needs
*is he professional ? if he is, you need an i7k
*what games he will play?
*what is your maximum possible budget?

CAD needs cores and RAM ,and for games is GPU
i give him a FX octacore processor. it will outperform i5 incomes in multitasking and using CAD because of its octacore, but i5(non-k) is better for gaming even it is quadcore their core is powerfull than FX's cores, but dont worry if he overclock i think they will be meet at some point.
i give him a 16GB of RAM because CAD eats a lot of ram. you need a lot of ram to perform rendering.
and for GPU if he is serious in CAD he need Quadro series which is $,$$$.$$

arlemedra

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014

Yes this will be for his work as he is currently working for an aircraft manufacturer, but seeing as this is his first computer other than his laptop he's set the budget in the $800-$1000 range. He's said that gaming is not the priority, and that the machine just needs to be able to run the latest games (Guild Wars 2, to name one), but not necessarily at the highest settings. One of my reasons for making this thread was to see if making a computer with these specifications was at all possible. Do you think it is or should he set aside more money? It would be ideal to make it as cheap as possible while still remaining a desirable system for a year or two (the foreseeable future).

He doesn't need the OS, but he does need a monitor, and thank you again for your help so far. I'm somewhat familiar with gaming rigs, as I've put together my own and for a few other friends, but I don't know the first thing about CAD.

i dont know exactly what he will construct in CAD and no idea bout specific aircraft piece, but i think that is too serious, youll need a Quadro gfx cards instead of gaming gfx cards, most of CAD use opengl instead of Direct x.
take a look at this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-workstation-graphics-card,3493-13.html

for proc he will need a Intel Core i7-4960X Extreme Edition 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor
its about $1,200.
for RAM he will need a total 32Gb which is $440.
and he will need a lot of storage maybe samsung 840 512GB SSD and a 2-3TB for HDD.
for psu i think 750w is enough .
for Monitors > (2) ASUS PA279Q Black 27" 6ms WQHD HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight True Color Professional Monitor 350 cd/m2 100000000:1 Built-in Speakers height&pivot adjustable $1,600 ($800 ea).

and that is too expensive

but of course your budget... i highly recommend to get i7 and GTX Titan Black with 16Gb(but i dont know if this rig will able to give him a performance that he need in his work, because its too serious) for game it can play all games(even 2015 games) in ultra settings 60+FPS

im not well known about constructing a serious CAD rig for professional skilled CAD operator
im sorry if i cant help

arlemedra

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014

He's still in school, so I'm not sure I would call him a serious professional ;). Do you think that maybe an i5 build with my old Sapphire 7970 vapor-x would suffice? I've been looking for something new in my own machine, and I've noticed that the 7970 stands out as a good card when it comes to computing. He will be rendering smaller objects (such as a chair or a wing) in autoCAD, so I'm sorry if I made it came off as a much larger endeavor than it is.

TRENDING THREADS