I need an 1000 Foot radius Wi-Fi for resort Please Help

gee0520

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
I have a rather large project at hand.

I need to provide internet for 21 acres of property, the longest distance from the internet source to somewhere where we need internet to be accessible is 1,000 feet.

The most important radius, however, would be 600 feet, we can then use a repeater from there I suppose and connect the other location to that repeater.

I really would love some help on getting the resort connected.

Something economic would also be extremely appreciated -- we currently have a budget of about $350-$400

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks!!

- George

Solution
It is even worse if you want the signal to penetrate into the cabins. The number of users per radio is based on how much traffic they are running. I suppose you could have 50 users doing nothing attached to 1 radio/router but that does not do much good. The 10 number comes from what many commercial AP are installed in a office area. It is getting very hard when every person seems to have a cell phone a pad device and a pc.

Unless you were very lucky and 2 cabins happened to be close I am going to bet you are going to need a outdoor bridge unit on every cabin pointed back at the main location. You would have to retransmit the signal into the each building.

This site has a nice picture of how this works. I have not used...
Even if you had a huge open field it likely won't work even if you put in a some monster transmitter. You still have tiny antenna in things like phones and pc. You might get 300ft. The other issue is going to be the density of the users. You really can only run about 10 devices on each radio and that is assuming they are all doing fairly low volume stuff like web surfing. A couple users streaming video will use all the capacity very quickly.

You do not want to use actually repeaters especially if you use multiple. It will make the load issue even worse. The only way to make this work is to put in a central location that uses one radio channel that only talks to remote bridge units. Each of these bridge units will then connect to AP to provide a signal to the end users. This is a form of repeater but it uses 2 radios one to talk to the users and a second to talk to the central location. How many of these you need is going to vary greatly. It is partially dependent on distance but also must take into account the number of devices in each area as well as any terrain issues. All this equipment need clear line of site. If you have lots of trees you will likely need at least a large tower in the central location.

In most cases you would pay more for someone to just come and give you a design for your problem. You can look at engenius and ubiquiti sites if you want to see equipment that is used but this is not a simple thing to put in and have it actually work well.

gee0520

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014

It isn't really dense as far as trees and cabins -- there is 29 cabins, which is like 1 and something cabins per acre, which is pretty spacious.

Really no way to get this done on such a tight budget?

Also, how would we overcome the "10 devices per radio", and by radio do you mean router?

Sorry for being so ill-educated, I've never done any of this before!

Thanks again,
George

It is even worse if you want the signal to penetrate into the cabins. The number of users per radio is based on how much traffic they are running. I suppose you could have 50 users doing nothing attached to 1 radio/router but that does not do much good. The 10 number comes from what many commercial AP are installed in a office area. It is getting very hard when every person seems to have a cell phone a pad device and a pc.

Unless you were very lucky and 2 cabins happened to be close I am going to bet you are going to need a outdoor bridge unit on every cabin pointed back at the main location. You would have to retransmit the signal into the each building.

This site has a nice picture of how this works. I have not used this particular brand and I am not sure it will go as far as you need but it show the general design.

http://hawkingtech.com/products/hi-gain_wireless_networking/high_power_wi-fi_solutions/how2r1.html

I have seen cheaper models from other manufactures but I would bet you are not going to get them for under $100 each.

Solution