Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Computer Slowing Down?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 2, 2014 8:16:21 PM

OK so to be more specific my pc has recently, as in the last few days been getting very sluggish when starting up. It takes forever to display things and then the fans inside start going, apparently it heats up a lot for some reason? The fan once went into a very loud over drive mode just while watching a simple youtube video, which has never, ever happened before.

Then when trying to play video games the loading times on ALL games is incredibly slow. Like it takes around 10-20 minutes to load a game up, and when in the game, the frames are fine, no lag or anything, just like normal, but go through a part where the game must load more data, and it takes friggin forever again. What is going on help is much a appreciated.

More about : computer slowing

a b à CPUs
August 2, 2014 8:31:34 PM

Its either one
1.The hdd is failing.Check S.M.A.R.T of the hard drive,if you don't know google it you will find plenty of results.
2.a malware
m
0
l
a c 161 à CPUs
August 2, 2014 8:36:54 PM

Listing points to be covered in order of importance.

1. Tell us your PC specs-CPU, GPU, MoBo, RAM, Win OS version, what you do with it, etc.

2. Open task manager and see if it says your CPU or RAM usage to be above 80-90% without doing anything particularly CPU intensive. If so, check which process, in another tab, is taking up the CPU and Memory.

3. Which games are you talking about? name them.

4. Specify if you have a stock cooler or custom cooler.

From what you've specified, it looks like a RAM issue. If you can play games without probs when they have loaded, then your CPU and GPU seems just fine. But loading games uses RAM, same for loading Windows. Maybe RAM has been shaken up, partly corrupted. Run MemTest x86 to test for RAM issues.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2014 8:40:14 PM

MeteorsRaining said:
Listing points to be covered in order of importance.

1. Tell us your PC specs-CPU, GPU, MoBo, RAM, Win OS version, what you do with it, etc.

2. Open task manager and see if it says your CPU or RAM usage to be above 80-90% without doing anything particularly CPU intensive. If so, check which process, in another tab, is taking up the CPU and Memory.

3. Which games are you talking about? name them.

4. Specify if you have a stock cooler or custom cooler.

From what you've specified, it looks like a RAM issue. If you can play games without probs when they have loaded, then your CPU and GPU seems just fine. But loading games uses RAM, same for loading Windows. Maybe RAM has been shaken up, partly corrupted. Run MemTest x86 to test for RAM issues.


If it's a ram issue most likely blue screens are likely to occur.system hang occur's.

but still,yes do a memtest x86.

m
0
l
a c 161 à CPUs
August 2, 2014 8:49:07 PM

Yadhu said:
MeteorsRaining said:
Listing points to be covered in order of importance.

1. Tell us your PC specs-CPU, GPU, MoBo, RAM, Win OS version, what you do with it, etc.

2. Open task manager and see if it says your CPU or RAM usage to be above 80-90% without doing anything particularly CPU intensive. If so, check which process, in another tab, is taking up the CPU and Memory.

3. Which games are you talking about? name them.

4. Specify if you have a stock cooler or custom cooler.

From what you've specified, it looks like a RAM issue. If you can play games without probs when they have loaded, then your CPU and GPU seems just fine. But loading games uses RAM, same for loading Windows. Maybe RAM has been shaken up, partly corrupted. Run MemTest x86 to test for RAM issues.


If it's a ram issue most likely blue screens are likely to occur.system hang occur's.

but still,yes do a memtest x86.



I know its unlikely, but can still happen. Recently this Antivirus of mine suddenly stopped updating saying the definition file is corrupt. Did everything from clean boot, reinstall both from CD and Net. Then contacted Customer support. They ran this test while remotely controlling my PC. It found many errors in the RAM module. Antivirus worked fine after I replaced the faulty one. So I advice him to try it as well.
m
0
l
August 2, 2014 10:20:17 PM

Alrighty I checked my cpu usage and it seems to spike up to 60% when doing nothing! That's crazy! Never has that happened while doing nothing. Most of it is going out to about 6 google chromes(even though it isn't open), windows explorer(still not opened at all) and catalyst control center...

I use these:
Processor AMD Phenom II 945 quad core 3 GHz - 64 bit
Memory 919 GB (8 GB RAM)
Motherboard Hp- Pavillion
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
Soundcard Speakers (AMD High Definition Audio)

I'm talking about all games. Any game at all, Skyrim, Dead Island:Riptide, Civilization 5, Minecraft, Call of Duty, you name it, hell even wordpad had trouble changing fonts, it stopped responding.
I believe I have stock cooler. Ill run a memtest to see whats what
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 161 à CPUs
August 2, 2014 10:39:31 PM

That's really absurd.
Here's what I can recommend (Do the one below if the one you're reading doesn't help):

-Close those Chrome Processes.

-Go to msconfig, selective start up, go to start up tab, deselect all, press ok, restart will follow.

-Clear up your Cache, Temp, %Temp%-Using CCleaner is recommended.

-Defrag your disk.

-Scan for rootkit/ trojan/ malware viruses, check Task manager for unknown processes happening at random-observing is the key, if you think a process, even if you know it, is taking just too much CPU and RAM, try to know why-Google will help you here.

-Run MemTest. Replacing RAM if the test detects faults is the key then.

-Check HDD for errors using free HDD testing tools like HDDScan or Seagate SeaTools or HD Tune.

If this all doesn't help, do a full system start time scan, it must get some corrupted registry files, do this only if you don't get viruses, scan for viruses first by 2 or 3 good antivirus. Look up on net or here, about the files names that are corrupted, what can be done.

Lastly, if this above DOESN'T HELP, a re-install is the only option. That will fix the issue.
Share
August 3, 2014 8:06:23 AM

geez, an all nighter and the clean stayed at 5%, I think I might have to reset. I cant defrag, it gets stuck too. Scanning for malware etc. doesn't work it comes back empty, the processes are fine, memtest came back with no faults, thanks for the info wish me luck with the reset!

AND Yadhu, I used to get blue screens all the time! I'll need to fix that, but I'm still trying the reset first.
m
0
l
a c 161 à CPUs
August 3, 2014 6:33:00 PM

benths09 said:
geez, an all nighter and the clean stayed at 5%, I think I might have to reset. I cant defrag, it gets stuck too. Scanning for malware etc. doesn't work it comes back empty, the processes are fine, memtest came back with no faults, thanks for the info wish me luck with the reset!

AND Yadhu, I used to get blue screens all the time! I'll need to fix that, but I'm still trying the reset first.


All the best it will fix the issue :) 
m
0
l
!