r9 290 reference comparison

Amr Gomaa

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
my friend got 2 cards r9 290 reference and now i can get one of them for about 300$ ,, should i take it or i could get asus directcut r9 280 X ?
becuase i hear that the temp and noise is high in the refrence editions
so what choice you recommend for me ?

Solution
I live in the Philippines and it's pretty much all the same in terms about temperature.

But as I said, you can change the Max Temperature of R9 290 lower than 95c as the card will automatically adjusts its fan and clock speeds to have get a stable temperature you set it with. Performance is not gonna have a big hit, you will only lose about 3-4 FPS only in games and that's not even a big. ;)

Littlesackninja

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
I would get the R9 290's , The reference versions are "Ok" but they arent the best, Although whenever buying second hand cards make sure they haven't used it for too long and Degraded the performance too much, Although if you live in a hot area or hot house, you should definatly go with the R9 280x.

PsychSC2

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
The R9 290 cards are known for their heat and can withstand 95c. I know that it's not great in terms of cooling but performance wise, R9 290 Crossfire will outperform the R9 280X in a very big way. Good thing about AMD's R9 290, you can reduce the Max Temperature to a lower degree like 75c. But the fan rpm will be more faster and possible nosier.

If you're fine with the noise, then you're good to go. But if you want to have it noiseless, then don't change the temperature and go add your card with a liquid cooling system. :)

For me, I don't care about the noise and I'm using 1 card which is an R9 290X with 75c Max Temperature settings and the fan will go around 60% if I play games from High to Ultra. It's a bit noisy but it's fine for me since I always have my sounds louder tho. Haha. :)

Your call.

Amr Gomaa

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
thank you guys for replay to me but my room temp is around 40 and i live in the middle east "egypt" so if that card goes around 95 C there in your country then i think it will become over 110 C here or somthing around that .. so i think it will be like burning something in my case + noise which i do not care about much but the temp will be very high

PsychSC2

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
I live in the Philippines and it's pretty much all the same in terms about temperature.

But as I said, you can change the Max Temperature of R9 290 lower than 95c as the card will automatically adjusts its fan and clock speeds to have get a stable temperature you set it with. Performance is not gonna have a big hit, you will only lose about 3-4 FPS only in games and that's not even a big. ;)

Solution

Amr Gomaa

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014

do you mean that is the 95 c i a normal temp ??? i can fry a bird and eat it in that temp ..my cpu if hit the 70c it is a very big deal but does that normal in the gpu ?

PsychSC2

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
According to AMD, it's the maximum temperature and the card will adjust to have a stable of 95c. And for them, it's perfectly safe. I know it can fry a bird already. Lol. But I just lowered my max temperature to 75c to just have it much more cooler than having a 95c, it affected my room tempt too lol.

And yes, for R9 290 / 290X, 95c is safe. But a piece of advise, just lower your Max Temperature setting in the AMD Catalyst Manager so it will not reach 95c. I know it's safe according to AMD, but I just don't want my card going up to the temperature. ;)

Amr Gomaa

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014

thank you for your help :)