$400 build need help

G

Okay im switching to the pc race I hae only $400 to spend on a pc please dont say get a ps4 either. Os and Montior not included thanks

Solution
Now, this IS over your budget. You can knock it down $25 by taking out the cooler (The stock one runs a little hot and won't let you overclock), and you can take out another $50 by taking out the case and running the setup built on the motherboard box... until you can save up and afford a case.

There are cheaper builds, but this one has a LOT of upsides:

1) You can overclock the CPU, which means way better performance, and the dual-core CPU is way more efficient than AMD's offerings and will beat it hands-down in anything that's not more than dual-threaded. (Most games are dual-threaded at most, and if you expect a $400 machine to run crysis smoothly...)

2) It has one of the fastest 750ti's out there, which is an extremely good entry...
Okay, well, few questions.

1) How flexible is that budget? $500 is a lot easier to work with.

2) Are you looking for a computer that's going to be upgraded over time, or do you you only want to spend the $400 and be done?

3) What monitor do you currently have? More specifically, what resolution is it? It's a difficult task to play at 1080p smoothly with $400, but 720p or 900p should be doable.

That's... a little exaggerated. A PS4 is not going to blow away a $400 pc, not even close - it'll be slightly better, but that's it. And will still lack the functionality of, you know, a computer. And won't have a mouse and keyboard.

A PS4 or Xbone will get ripped apart by a $550 gaming computer - $750 gets you in to the bottom end of a midrange rig.

G

I gonna use my 1080p 20 inch tv as a montior for now and I want a pc that I can upgrade over time and my budget can be raise to $450 but thats it.

Now, this IS over your budget. You can knock it down $25 by taking out the cooler (The stock one runs a little hot and won't let you overclock), and you can take out another $50 by taking out the case and running the setup built on the motherboard box... until you can save up and afford a case.

There are cheaper builds, but this one has a LOT of upsides:

1) You can overclock the CPU, which means way better performance, and the dual-core CPU is way more efficient than AMD's offerings and will beat it hands-down in anything that's not more than dual-threaded. (Most games are dual-threaded at most, and if you expect a $400 machine to run crysis smoothly...)

2) It has one of the fastest 750ti's out there, which is an extremely good entry level card, and highly efficient. At the same time, it has a big enough power supply that you could upgrade to a more powerful card later down the road without having to worry about it.

3) It will beat the snot out of a PS4, hands down. And you get to use a keyboard and mouse!

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($48.37 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($53.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $472.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Solution
Okay, that's fine. Don't get the cooler yet, and then when you can afford it, buy the cooler and you can learn how to overclock. :)

You could also get a cheaper graphics card now, and then save up to get a better one later, but the 750ti should be able to get you the 'high' preset in most games at 1080p with an average of around 55fps.

G

Okay thanks and I have two hdds in my latop one is a 400gb thats clearly free can I take that out and use it towards the build and use the money that I would of spent on a hdd on somthing else? I know 400gb isnt much but its enough for now

You could do that, but here's the trouble. A 2.5" hard drive like the ones in your laptop are going to be noisy, slower than normal, and less reliable. I personally would keep the 1TB drive for $60, but it's entirely up to you if you want to go through the process of reinstalling windows if you go with the 400GB one and upgrade later. There will be a noticeable difference in the responsiveness of windows, though, and how long loading screens take. Actual fps won't be affected either way.

One thing I forgot to note is the lack of an optical drive. Unless you have a bunch of games on CDs, you really don't need an optical drive anymore - if you have a friend with a computer, or your laptop, you can take the windows ISO on the install CD and transfer it to a 4GB or larger USB stick, and install from that.

G

Okay thanks it turns out its just a partion not a second hdd so I will use the og build Thanks again!