Solved

Gaming PC Help

Hi, so i'm creating a gaming PC and I'm cautious of which components I should buy, so I would like to ask about the compatibility of some of my components and whether I should get different ones;

MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z87-G45 GAMING

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz (Should I instead go for the 4790k, and would it be compatible with the motherboard?)

GPU: EVGA GTX 660 ti sc 3gb (Probably in a year or so I will save up for the 780ti sc w/acx cooling, would this be a wise choice and would it be compatible?)

RAM: 2x Corsair 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM

CASE: Cooler Master HAF X

HARD DRIVE: Western Digital WD20EZRX 2TB

Are all of these compatible and please, if you know of any cheaper and better components I should get , tell me.
Thanks in advance :)


By the way, will this pc be able to run upcoming titles such as The Witcher 3, Doom, kingdom Come ect... ( With GTX 660 ti sc* )

EDIT: AMD Cpu's are not compatible with the motherboard
33 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming
  1. Firstly I would suggest to get a Z97 chipset mobo ... preferably Asus ..... or anyother, but should be Z97 not Z87....

    Secondly .. Go for i5-4690K .. rather than i7 ... bcaus i5 is more effective gaming rather than i7 .... and also considering the price performance ratio

    Lastly... go for a good brand and quality of PSU ... preferably 650watts or above .... do not take lightly with PSU
  2. whats your budget and will you be overclocking
  3. You'll be able to run the games, but The r9 280 should be around the price of the gtx 660 Ti, or maybe even the gtx 760.
  4. R_K said:
    Firstly I would suggest to get a Z97 chipset mobo ... preferably Asus ..... or anyother, but should be Z97 not Z87....

    Secondly .. Go for i5-4690K .. rather than i7 ... bcaus i5 is more effective gaming rather than i7 .... and also considering the price performance ratio

    Lastly... go for a good brand and quality of PSU ... preferably 650watts or above .... do not take lightly with PSU


    I have a corsair 750 Watt in my old computer which i can swap over... And if i get the i5 , will it last me a few years of being able to run games at top settings? And can i ask why about the z97?

    thanks for fast reply :)
  5. get a r9 290 it is better than nvdia and cheaper too
  6. z97 supports haswell refresh chips out of the box. It's basically more up to date sort of thing. If you're getting something like the i5 4460/4590/4690/4690k or i7 4790/4790k or any other haswell refresh chip, then getting a h97/z97 board would be better so you don't have to deal with possible bios update requirements.
  7. Calnin said:
    z97 supports haswell refresh chips out of the box. It's basically more up to date sort of thing. If you're getting something like the i5 4460/4590/4690/4690k or i7 4790/4790k or any other haswell refresh chip, then getting a h97/z97 board would be better so you don't have to deal with possible bios update requirements.


    On Amazon (UK) I can't figure out which board it is; One of them is 99 quid but has no reviews and only 1 picture... The other is 120 quid but has no product details although it has 8 reviews and more photos :/ ( i buy all components from amazon since it's cheaper )

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Z97-G45-Gaming-LGA1150-Motherboard/dp/B00K8KODYQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407143419&sr=8-1&keywords=z97+g45+gaming

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Z97-G45-GAMING-LGA1150-MOTHERBOARD/dp/B00K23BYCI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407143419&sr=8-2&keywords=z97+g45+gaming


    and thanks for the fast reply and help :)
  8. SamiSC said:
    whats your budget and will you be overclocking


    My budget is around 700 pounds keeping in mind i already have the GPU and PSU, and yes i'll be over clocking
  9. For 120 pounds get a msi gaming 5 or a asus maximus ranger, both are z97 and both are really good
  10. Just go with whichever is cheaper.

    You could look at pcpartpicker for a bigger list of parts and bigger variety of sellers if you would like to see more options.

    This would be a board to consider: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z97extreme4
    ASRock's a pretty good brand.
  11. Calnin said:
    Just go with whichever is cheaper.

    You could look at pcpartpicker for a bigger list of parts and bigger variety of sellers if you would like to see more options.

    This would be a board to consider: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z97extreme4
    ASRock's a pretty good brand.



    hmm, I was looking at MSI because there is many good things said about the easy overclocking... Since i'm a noob at building/overclocking I think MSI would be good for me :P What would be the best z97 msi mobo for the money?
  12. MasterBard said:
    Calnin said:
    Just go with whichever is cheaper.

    You could look at pcpartpicker for a bigger list of parts and bigger variety of sellers if you would like to see more options.

    This would be a board to consider: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z97extreme4
    ASRock's a pretty good brand.



    hmm, I was looking at MSI because there is many good things said about the easy overclocking... Since i'm a noob at building/overclocking I think MSI would be good for me :P What would be the best z97 msi mobo for the money?



    the asus z97-k will be okay for you, or the msi gaming 5 or asus maximus ranger
  13. Overclocking is easy regardless of what motherboard. Each company has their own sort of easy overclocking software if you want to go through it via software. Bios is always better though.

    As for Motherboards, ASRock extreme4 that I linked is a pretty good one. ASUS Maxiumus Ranger is also a good one as mentioned above. Really depends on budget for what to suggest...
  14. Calnin said:
    Overclocking is easy regardless of what motherboard. Each company has their own sort of easy overclocking software if you want to go through it via software. Bios is always better though.

    As for Motherboards, ASRock extreme4 that I linked is a pretty good one. ASUS Maxiumus Ranger is also a good one as mentioned above. Really depends on budget for what to suggest...


    At the most I would spend £130... Is the MSI Gaming 7 any good? and which Maximus Ranger are you suggesting? I'm looking at the VII atm
  15. MasterBard said:
    Calnin said:
    Overclocking is easy regardless of what motherboard. Each company has their own sort of easy overclocking software if you want to go through it via software. Bios is always better though.

    As for Motherboards, ASRock extreme4 that I linked is a pretty good one. ASUS Maxiumus Ranger is also a good one as mentioned above. Really depends on budget for what to suggest...


    At the most I would spend £130... Is the MSI Gaming 7 any good? and which Maximus Ranger are you suggesting?


    The gaming 7 won't be useful to you unless you have 5 ssd's , a gaming 5 will do and the asus maximus ranger?
  16. legend001523 said:
    MasterBard said:
    Calnin said:
    Overclocking is easy regardless of what motherboard. Each company has their own sort of easy overclocking software if you want to go through it via software. Bios is always better though.

    As for Motherboards, ASRock extreme4 that I linked is a pretty good one. ASUS Maxiumus Ranger is also a good one as mentioned above. Really depends on budget for what to suggest...


    At the most I would spend £130... Is the MSI Gaming 7 any good? and which Maximus Ranger are you suggesting?


    The gaming 7 won't be useful to you unless you have 5 ssd's , a gaming 5 will do and the asus maximus ranger?


    Oh, thanks :) Are you talking about the VII?
  17. Yes, the Asus Maximus VII Ranger, there is also the sabertooth mk2, which i like better as its colour allow it to fit into any colur scheme
  18. legend001523 said:
    Yes, the Asus Maximus VII Ranger, there is also the sabertooth mk2, which i like better as its colour allow it to fit into any colur scheme


    Yeah, i think the Sabertooth is a bit too pricey though... Is the Asus Maximus VII Ranger compatible with all of my other components?
  19. MasterBard said:
    legend001523 said:
    Yes, the Asus Maximus VII Ranger, there is also the sabertooth mk2, which i like better as its colour allow it to fit into any colur scheme


    Yeah, i think the Sabertooth is a bit too pricey though... Is the Asus Maximus VII Ranger compatible with all of my other components?


    yep, all fits :_)
  20. legend001523 said:
    MasterBard said:
    legend001523 said:
    Yes, the Asus Maximus VII Ranger, there is also the sabertooth mk2, which i like better as its colour allow it to fit into any colur scheme


    Yeah, i think the Sabertooth is a bit too pricey though... Is the Asus Maximus VII Ranger compatible with all of my other components?


    yep, all fits :_)


    Thanks for all the help! What's your opinion on the CPU? Should i get the 4690k or the 4790k?
  21. MasterBard said:
    legend001523 said:
    MasterBard said:
    legend001523 said:
    Yes, the Asus Maximus VII Ranger, there is also the sabertooth mk2, which i like better as its colour allow it to fit into any colur scheme


    Yeah, i think the Sabertooth is a bit too pricey though... Is the Asus Maximus VII Ranger compatible with all of my other components?


    yep, all fits :_)


    Thanks for all the help! What's your opinion on the CPU? Should i get the 4690k or the 4790k?


    For gaming only - 4690k
    For gaming,rendering,streaming,photoshop,3d stuff - 4790k
  22. legend001523 said:
    MasterBard said:
    legend001523 said:
    MasterBard said:
    legend001523 said:
    Yes, the Asus Maximus VII Ranger, there is also the sabertooth mk2, which i like better as its colour allow it to fit into any colur scheme


    Yeah, i think the Sabertooth is a bit too pricey though... Is the Asus Maximus VII Ranger compatible with all of my other components?


    yep, all fits :_)


    Thanks for all the help! What's your opinion on the CPU? Should i get the 4690k or the 4790k?


    For gaming only - 4690k
    For gaming,rendering,streaming,photoshop,3d stuff - 4790k


    What if I want to both game and photoshop or eventually stream?
  23. I'd recommend you get the i5 then, since you're not professionally doing it, more like a hobby thing, the i5 can handle streaming and the occasional photoshop etc
  24. legend001523 said:
    I'd recommend you get the i5 then, since you're not professionally doing it, more like a hobby thing, the i5 can handle streaming and the occasional photoshop etc


    Will it also be able to play games such as The Witcher 3 when they come out?
  25. MasterBard said:
    legend001523 said:
    I'd recommend you get the i5 then, since you're not professionally doing it, more like a hobby thing, the i5 can handle streaming and the occasional photoshop etc


    Will it also be able to play games such as The Witcher 3 when they come out?


    That depends on your gpu more than anything but it should be okay I'd say
  26. And do you think the GTX 660 Ti Sc can run Witcher 3 on at least medium settings?
  27. MasterBard said:
    And do you think the GTX 660 Ti Sc can run Witcher 3 on at least medium settings?


    Yeah, even the 660 can max out witcher 2, so I don't think the system requirements will be that big. I'd say a good steady 50-60fps on medium
  28. legend001523 said:
    MasterBard said:
    And do you think the GTX 660 Ti Sc can run Witcher 3 on at least medium settings?


    Yeah, even the 660 can max out witcher 2, so I don't think the system requirements will be that big. I'd say a good steady 50-60fps on medium


    Ok, thanks again for all the help :) Is there anything i'm missing when building this PC, and is the HDD i've chosen a good choice? :)
  29. You may need a cpu cooler if you want to overclock but that is it really :)
  30. legend001523 said:
    You may need a cpu cooler if you want to overclock but that is it really :)


    Ok thanks, so the Western Digital is fine? :)
  31. Best answer
    MasterBard said:
    legend001523 said:
    You may need a cpu cooler if you want to overclock but that is it really :)


    Ok thanks, so the Western Digital is fine? :)


    yep, should be okay :) reviews on a pc site have 4.5 out of 5 stars
  32. legend001523 said:
    MasterBard said:
    legend001523 said:
    You may need a cpu cooler if you want to overclock but that is it really :)


    Ok thanks, so the Western Digital is fine? :)


    yep, should be okay :) reviews on a pc site have 4.5 out of 5 stars


    Ok, thanks so much! :)
  33. no problem :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Compatibility Components