212 Evo and i5-3570K at 86 degrees under load

condorcraft110

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
I just installed my Hyper 212 Evo and ran OCCT at stock speeds. It lasted 8m 16s before the test stopped because the CPU got to 86 degrees. Idle temps are around 35-40 degrees. This is my first time with an aftermarket cooler and I don't know whether I installed it right or not. The heatsink turns if I apply moderate force to it. I spread on enough thermal paste to nearly cover the base of the cooler and didn't leave any gaps. Have I gone wrong somewhere?

Too much thermal paste can act as an insulator and reduce performance. Only a small drop is necessary. It will spread out under heat and pressure. If you ever see it overflowing the cpu you have used too much.

Clean off the old paste and try again. Once in place, do not try to twist the cooler or you may introduce tiny air pockets.

K6-II

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014
It's not safe of running stress tests after installing the cooler and new thermal paste, you can damage your CPU. I'd say a minimum of 48h prior running any tests, the new paste needs to accommodate and slowly fill all the micro gaps on the CPU

Its about as safe as running the program at any other time. If the CPU gets to hot it shuts it self down, obviously you shouldn't run it if your idle temps look to be way to high.

Thermal paste only takes a couple of seconds to settle, by the time you have the cooler screwed down its already done. The pressure of the heatsink takes care of it. I don't know of any paste thick enough for it to take even 20 minutes to spread out much less 48 hours.

If you are talking about the "cure" time of a specific brand of thermal paste then your temps only change by a couple degrees. I think the max I have seen is about 5 degrees.

K6-II

Honorable
Jul 29, 2014

During the CPU's initial use, the compound thins out to enhance the filling of the microscopic valleys and ensure the best physical contact between the heatsink and the CPU core. Then the compound thickens slightly over the next 50 to 200 hours of use to its final consistency designed for long-term stability. (Arctic Silver 5)

Some pastes, notably AS-5 may take 200 start/stop cycles to reach full performance.
But, we are talking about a very small difference. 1 degree c. perhaps?
The heat of a normally running cpu and the pressure of the cooler attachment spreads the paste out in seconds. No damage will occur.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Thats why many of us dont use AS5 any more, the heat cycles just arent needed on modern better TIMs, and get better performance.

It is not much worth it to worry about what thermal paste to use for normal operations.
If you are seeking overclocking records maybe.
The paste that comes with coolers such as cm, noctua, prolimatech, Phanteks... are perfectly adequate.

Artificial testbed benchmarks show minor differences in performance, and all are easy to use.

Chiaro

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
My best answer would be: "Try re-installing the cooler and watch installation Vids on to do it properly. I have a $10 Deepcool and I never go above 50 degrees even on Prime95 {H100 can suck it!}

Oh yeah, changing the orientation may help too