Solved

$500 Gaming pc, can only play skyrim on low graphics?

Skyrim isn't really the newest or most intensive game to run, but I have to play on low graphics settings for playable framerates. I just got a gaming pc, and it's not the best, but it works for most of my games, however it seems to struggle with skyrim above low graphics settings.

I don't know why this is, and my only guess is that my GPU isn't good enough, which I can understand, and I already have a possible upgrade planned. I don't suppose if anyone knows of why my pc can't at least get some good frames on medium or high settings?

Pc specs:
AMD FX-4300 3.8Ghz 4xCores
8G of RAM
AMD R7 250 2G
Windows 7 (Yes I needed this. I'll never use 8)
And that's about everything that is really important.
Let me know if you have any thoughts!
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 500 gaming play skyrim low graphics
  1. Best answer
    its your videocard, i'd suggest you to get the gtx 760 instead. great bang for the buck!
  2. It is the video card. Best bang for the buck is the sapphire r9 270 for $150 on newegg. Basically a r9 270x if you overclock it a little. And you should have just got 4 gigs of ram to keep the cost down. Games don't use 8 gigs yet.
  3. Achromatic said:
    It is the video card. Best bang for the buck is the sapphire r9 270 for $150 on newegg. Basically a r9 270x if you overclock it a little. And you should have just got 4 gigs of ram to keep the cost down. Games don't use 8 gigs yet.

Games definitely use 8 gb ram, especially if you're running windows, and a game with a lot of textures/models.
    the 270 is a viable option, but i would go for the r9 270x then, but if you want more, then get the 760 since its a bit more expensive, but gives you more performance aswell.
  4. here's a link to another thread with the r9 270x and the 760: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1974056/msi-270x-msi-gtx-760.html
    take a look at that.

although i'd definitely recommend the 760, if you really want then r9 270x, then go for it
  5. Ah ok. Just as I had thought, my graphics card wasn't up to par. I will consider all of the above mentioned upgrades. I'm thinking that the Sapphire r9 270x looks good. I just got this pc though, so might take a while for me to get upgrades. Thanks for the help!
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Skyrim Components Graphics