Solved

Capabilities of 2 780 ti's

So I have a 780 ti, and people have told me that it can run all games at max, and I'm worried whether in the future it'll be able to run games max, 1080p, at 60 fps. Sooo what could do that? Developers for Witcher 3 say one 780 ti with max settings at 1080p can only run at 30 fps. Also, I think I heard from someone that Crysis 3 can't even run max settings,1080p at 60 fps on a single 780 ti. So I mean what do you need? Isn't the 780 ti like one of the best cards? Also, I heard from Rich of Reviewtechusa that there's no point in upgrading to a Titan Z because of Direct x12 coming out, so what do you need? Is it that hard to get 60 fps with max settings? If so, well of course the next gen consoles can't hit 60 fps. I mean especially if one of the best graphics cards can't do that (AND it cost more than either console)
39 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about capabilities 780
  1. Instead of getting 2 780ti's for future games, just wait for 800 series and hold onto one 780 ti for now.
  2. A single 780ti will run all but few games at max settings at 1080p with 60 FPS, otherwise you will probably get high settings, and unless you are looking awfully close you're not going to know the difference.
  3. Good PC games have a multitude of settings that can go well beyond what is currently available. Remember, games are in development for a long time, so they look at current hardware, and previous, and try to extrapolate from that, about how powerful the latest hardware might be when their product actually drops.

    There's a lot of different reasons why a top of the line card can't hit a constant 60fps at 1080p with maxed settings in some games. It'd be near impossible for game developers to design a fps title to have a consistent number of effects / props etc on screen at all times. There's always dips and highs. If you ever feel like your minimum fps drops too low and hinders your enjoyment, then by all means, add another card.

    The benefits of that second card will vary from game to game. Some games might have such a buggy implementation of SLI, that you run better with higher image quality by disabling it. It's just the way it goes with SLI and Crossfire.

    The only current rumor about the 880 is that it'll fall somewhere between a 780 and 780 Ti in performance. That's a paper launch that won't happen for some time. There's much gaming to be had now. If you want it, get it.
  4. Can either a single Titan Black or Z run Crysis 3 maxed at 60 fps? It's odd how people say 60 fps is the golden standard and should be for consoles when not even the most expensive cards on the market can hit 60 fps on all games.
  5. Now I understand people that are legitimate pc gamers will find this odd, but I found 30 fps completely sufficient previously. I actually PREFERRED it to 60 fps...now wait, before I get maimed, here's my reason why. I was originally a console gamer until a week ago, and 60 fps was jarring to me.

    See, I'm a film guy along with my interest in gaming, and there's this golden standard that films should and always will run at 24 fps. The main reason for this is just arguably the "cinematic glow" that is only reserved for 24 fps, and people have ALWAYS seen 24 fps. With new tech and the introduction of faster frames and refresh times, people have witnessed the emergence of the dreaded "soap opera" effect such as seen in the Hobbit and on newer LED tvs with motion blur. Nonetheless, I can assume most know how those implementations panned out with a majority of audiences. They were repulsed. The faster frames had some sort of ethereal and eerie sheen applied to the picture that was just simply gag-inducing for a large part.

    But recently with the next gen consoles and through seeing more examples of 60 fps, I have been really contemplating which is really better. With the Last of Us remastered I was toying with the frame lock setting and switching between 30 fps and 60 fps. Eventually I just really started liking 60 fps and I've been keeping it on that setting for much of my playthrough. Now, revisiting Forza Motorsport 4 on my 360 I had noticed a crucial factor. There was motion blur added! So technically that would be a key thing in making games more realistic right? Like, I know real life doesn't run in frames obviously, but which represents something more akin to it? 60 fps, 100 fps, 200 fps, 1000 fps all with motion blur or just 30 fps? I'd really like to know where to settle my expectations and which is the RIGHT way to go. You'll get shunned in the film community for liking anything more than 24 fps and be likewise shunned in the pc community for liking anything under 60 fps.
  6. Maybe it's just that they're two different mediums and with films, purists want to maintain the essence of a "moving picture" even with digital cameras, and with games, environments are being rendered in real time.
  7. A 780Ti can run all the games at max. settings even on a 1600p.It's actually a 1600P card and on the 1080p,it's a joke.
  8. It depends on what 780 ti you have...
  9. Aren't all 780 ti's the same? I have this one http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclocked-Dual-Link-Graphics-03G-P4-2884-KR/dp/B00GMTGJIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407233291&sr=8-1&keywords=780+ti

    Is it good? Gimme a breakdown of what it can and can't do. I don't have all the games in the world. Maybe I don't have to buy another 780 ti for Witcher 3.

    Also, what's a recommended system or graphics card that can run future games like Witcher 3 at 60 fps 1080p max settings?

    Here's my setup. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-your-own-gaming-pc,3766.html
    But replace that motherboard with this one http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-Motherboard-Motherboards-H87-G43/dp/B00D12OANW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407233542&sr=8-1&keywords=h87-g43
  10. Douglas Harris said:
    Aren't all 780 ti's the same? I have this one http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclocked-Dual-Link-Graphics-03G-P4-2884-KR/dp/B00GMTGJIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407233291&sr=8-1&keywords=780+ti

    Is it good? Gimme a breakdown of what it can and can't do. I don't have all the games in the world. Maybe I don't have to buy another 780 ti for Witcher 3.

    Also, what's a recommended system or graphics card that can run future games like Witcher 3 at 60 fps 1080p max settings?

    Here's my setup. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-your-own-gaming-pc,3766.html
    But replace that motherboard with this one http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-Motherboard-Motherboards-H87-G43/dp/B00D12OANW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407233542&sr=8-1&keywords=h87-g43


    Well firstly, there are different coolers and different base clocks etc which affect your game performance, your card is low high end, high mid end 780 ti, if you get what i mean, it can max out any game on 1080p, on witcher 3, i should get a stable 50-60fps on ultra, cause even a 760- can max out witcher 2, so unless they made massive leaps and bounds in their graphics, you will probably be able to max it out no problem, you shouldn't have to buy another one as it can max out most games like bf4,metro above 60fps, so it shouldn't go down that much that it becomes unplayable, educated guess, 50-65fps on witcher 3
  11. This is the article I keep referring to in terms of future games because it looks like Witcher 3 is the next big push in gaming. We (well I) gotta figure out how to maximize our pc's guys for the sexy next gen games. What about the Division too? That may make our systems scream too. Also GTA V. Remember how badly optimized GTAIV was? We gotta maximize that. Especially for the mods too.
  12. Sorry I forgot to put in the article for Witcher 3. Here: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/the-witcher-3-gtx-780ti-could-push-35-45-fps-at-max.html
  13. Your 780 ti will be able to keep up with most games at ultra on a 1080p monitor, compromises may have to be made in the future, but for now, it's a safe bet that it can run all games no problem
  14. Wait...my card's...LOW high end!? I thought it was like 1 of the best. Isn't the Titan Z like - unnecessary because it's 3,000 bucks and it isn't Direct x12 ready?
  15. Douglas Harris said:
    Wait...my card's...LOW high end!? I thought it was like 1 of the best. Isn't the Titan Z like - unnecessary because it's 3,000 bucks and it isn't Direct x12 ready?


    read what I wrote, carefully, I said it's a high mid end 780 Ti, but low high end 780 Ti, I may have confused you a bit , the card is in the top 5 780 Ti's but maybe 4th place
  16. huh...really? then what's the best 780 ti? Will I get a lot more performance?
  17. You're a graphics card expert, what do u have? Probably something beastly. Also, can somebody clarify SLI for me? What is that? Just code for multiple graphics cards?
  18. Douglas Harris said:
    You're a graphics card expert, what do u have? Probably something beastly. Also, can somebody clarify SLI for me? What is that? Just code for multiple graphics cards?


    Best 780 ti?

    1. evga kingpin
    2. asus matrix platinum
    3.Inno3d 780 Ti DHS edition
    4.EVGA classified acx
    5.EVGA superclocked acx

    SLI just means multiple nvidia cards in a setup, so a sli configuration refers to 2 nvidia cards in the rig, you can get triple sli etc. for amd cards, it's called crossfire and I'm getting the inno3d dhs edition :)
  19. Is this the asus matrix platinum card you're talking about? http://www.frys.com/product/8003514?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

    If not, where is it?
  20. http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/ROG_MATRIXGTX780TIP3GD5/ this one :) it retails for arounf $750-$800
  21. OH MY...well, now that I know more about this SLI, then I think I can just add another 780 ti in the future. Ok, so I got another question. Does it matter if the card I add is NOT a 780 ti and is something weaker and cheaper? It'll still add a lot of performance won't it?
  22. Douglas Harris said:
    OH MY...well, now that I know more about this SLI, then I think I can just add another 780 ti in the future. Ok, so I got another question. Does it matter if the card I add is NOT a 780 ti and is something weaker and cheaper? It'll still add a lot of performance won't it?


    No, multiple cards only work if you have the same series, so you can only pair up a 780 ti with a 780 ti, you can't pair it up with let's say... a 770. By sli'ing you get roughly 40-50% increase on performance
  23. Hmmm, very well then. I say in the future they'll be down in price when I upgrade so I assume I'll be good. Last question before I give you the "solution." Can you check Fry's website and tell me which 780 ti I should get. I don't care about price. I want maximum performance. Thanks, it'll mean a lot.
  24. Douglas Harris said:
    Hmmm, very well then. I say in the future they'll be down in price when I upgrade so I assume I'll be good. Last question before I give you the "solution." Can you check Fry's website and tell me which 780 ti I should get. I don't care about price. I want maximum performance. Thanks, it'll mean a lot.


    Fry's website? Link me it please :) couple of questions so i can find you the right one

    1.Do you plan on overclocking it like hell?
    2.Any specific colour you want?
    3.Do looks of the card matter
    4.What length does your case allow for a graphics card
    5.Do you want to watercool it?
  25. Here's Fry's: http://www.frys.com/template/index/

    1. No I'm not going to overclock cause I think it's dangerous. Idk though.
    2. No specific color
    3. Don't care about looks
    4. Don't know, here's my case: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006I2H084/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    5.I don't have watercooling in place at the moment, and I don't think I will any time soon.
  26. why on this website? If you live in amercia newegg has such a bigger range
  27. Well, you see, I'm buying it at the store. I understand newegg is the go-to place online, but I want to be able to physically return the card if there's a problem. I already bought a card online from Amazon, and it overheated during games, so I assumed it was faulty. I returned it to get my refund, and well...that just just takes too much time compared to driving to the nearest Fry's. You have a different store suggestion for a bigger selection? Sayyy like Best Buy orrrr really I don't know any other physical retail department store for electronics.
  28. Douglas Harris said:
    Well, you see, I'm buying it at the store. I understand newegg is the go-to place online, but I want to be able to physically return the card if there's a problem. I already bought a card online from Amazon, and it overheated during games, so I assumed it was faulty. I returned it to get my refund, and well...that just just takes too much time compared to driving to the nearest Fry's. You have a different store suggestion for a bigger selection? Sayyy like Best Buy orrrr really I don't know any other physical retail department store for electronics.


    If you get it from newegg, you can easily return it, since they deal with electronics alot, they will deal with it better than amazon do, it's better to risk it and get a better card than to not risk it and get a mid end 780 ti, also, if you get a good 780 ti, there won't be any faults with it so you won't need to return it or whatever :0
  29. What's the difference in performance between that card and this one? http://www.frys.com/product/7962500?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
  30. The one you listed is like the little brother of the one I sent you, It has a slightly lower clockspeed than the one I listed but doesn't come with the ln2 mode, which increases the cards' usage to 115%, so boosts performance by 15%, if you don't want to overclock then the one you listed would be fine, but overclocking is very safe on the card I listed you and evga warranty replaces your card with a brand new one if you damage it through overclocking but the one you listed is okay too :)
  31. Your GTX 780 ti is fine for now. As others stated make sure you upgrade AFTER the 800 series come out in 2-3 months time. The price will drop by quite a large margin and you will save a lot. This should be more than fine maxing out games at 1080p for the next few years.
  32. I'm sorry for the additional question, but would the little brother evga card be a big upgrade from my previous 780 ti: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127770
  33. oh wait, you already have a 780 ti.. just remembered that... :') Then I would definitely recommend you get anotehr one of the one you already have, for 1080p now, a single 780 ti is overkill but if you wanted to go multiple monitors or higher res, then a sli would help more, but just wait for the witcher 3 to come out, if you can run it at ultra, then don't get anotehr card, because if you got sli before you played the game then you may have wasted money for nothing, so wait for the game, play the game, if the performance isn't good enough, get another one of the same card for sli
  34. Douglas Harris said:
    I'm sorry for the additional question, but would the little brother evga card be a big upgrade from my previous 780 ti: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127770


    Just read my last post, but to answer your question, no, they're not, the one I listed just has some smaller extra functions that appeal to overclockers,
  35. No, no, no, no. I'm so so sorry for not being clear. I sent the MSI 780 ti back to Amazon for a refund. I'm looking for a replacement, and I'm reeeeeeally eyeballing the little brother evga.
  36. Best answer
    Douglas Harris said:
    No, no, no, no. I'm so so sorry for not being clear. I sent the MSI 780 ti back to Amazon for a refund. I'm looking for a replacement, and I'm reeeeeeally eyeballing the little brother evga.


    oh... okay, so you currently don't own any 780 ti's right? Then the one you suggested would be fine, it can get 70-80fps on most games, the one i suggested just has more features that appeal more to overclockers :) The one you listed has the same cooler and same base clock so the difference between both the cards won't be noticeable unless you overclock it, but you said you don't want to overclock, so the one you suggested is fine, since the overclocking has already been done for you in the factory :)
  37. yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!!! AND YOU ARE THE WINNER!!! You get the "solution". Yay for you and yay for me. Thanks, man. So so so so so so SO helpful. You ARE a graphics card expert. And funny thing is once I get my 780 ti all I'm really gonna be playing is Crysis 1, GTAIV, and some dolphin emulated games, so yeah lol. But I' ready to finally ascend into pc gaming and check out Skyrim with mods maybe go a little Arma 3 or Crysis 3, and then really get ready the next gen games like Far Cry 4 and the ones I mentioned earlier. Really excited. Thanks again so much and big thanks to everyone else that contributed, but I mean c'mon, this guy went over the moon to help me out. I really like Tom's Hardware. :)
  38. Douglas Harris said:
    yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!!! AND YOU ARE THE WINNER!!! You get the "solution". Yay for you and yay for me. Thanks, man. So so so so so so SO helpful. You ARE a graphics card expert. And funny thing is once I get my 780 ti all I'm really gonna be playing is Crysis 1, GTAIV, and some dolphin emulated games, so yeah lol. But I' ready to finally ascend into pc gaming and check out Skyrim with mods maybe go a little Arma 3 or Crysis 3, and then really get ready the next gen games like Far Cry 4 and the ones I mentioned earlier. Really excited. Thanks again so much and big thanks to everyone else that contributed, but I mean c'mon, this guy went over the moon to help me out. I really like Tom's Hardware. :)


    ahaha no problem :) you'll love it, should last you for 3 or 4 years :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Games Systems FPS