$375 Video/Image Editing Desktop

TheNiceManCometh

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
I have been tasked with the impossible....
I need to put together a decent video/image editing desktop for somewhere between 300-375 dollars.

There are many things I don't know, however.
Should I go with an APU, or divide up between a CPU and graphics card?
Also, I'm unsure what the appropriate amount of RAM to buy is, and when I will start seeing diminishing returns on an funds better spent buying other components.

Any ideas? It would be very much appreciated, and would make a highschooler with cinematic dreams very happy on his birthday.

Solution
Video and image editing is more intense than gaming. Gaming you can get a decent rig with top end being i5 , 8gb ram and a $300 gpu and play max settings.
Video editing needs 8-12 core cpu's, workstation class gpu, 16gb+ ram, and a good cpu cooler.

To put it easy, a decent gaming rig would be $800-1000. A decent editing rig would be $2000+. That's not top end, that's just decent.

With you dollar amount, that's really low for anything. Id just try and find a desktop for that price, and be happy with it, because you will barely get a low end pc for that amount.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
Video and image editing is more intense than gaming. Gaming you can get a decent rig with top end being i5 , 8gb ram and a $300 gpu and play max settings.
Video editing needs 8-12 core cpu's, workstation class gpu, 16gb+ ram, and a good cpu cooler.

To put it easy, a decent gaming rig would be $800-1000. A decent editing rig would be $2000+. That's not top end, that's just decent.

With you dollar amount, that's really low for anything. Id just try and find a desktop for that price, and be happy with it, because you will barely get a low end pc for that amount.

Solution