Sign in with
Your question
Solved

1366 x 768 Pixel vs 1920x1080 getting a new Laptop 15.6 Please help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 6, 2014 3:21:58 AM

Hi,

Im really confused with buying a Laptop-15.6 inch ,since there are a lot of threads discussing

1366 x 768 Pixel vs 1920x1080

I understand that 1920x1080 resolution will give more workarea by reducing the size of icons and stuff and the images will also appear polished.

And you can mulittask with it.But i presume the windows will be too small and the text will
be small too.Well mulititasking liike that will be too hard with small windows atleast for me.
(coding)
Also i understand that there are issues in browsing some websites,like you need to zoom in.
Plus the net connection here is weak the maximum video quality achievable is 720p

I have this 20 inch 1600X900 Monitor,i find it good enough and cannot find much differences
with my laptop screen which is 1366 x 768 unless i sit closely and look for the pixels.
And i find this resolution pretty good for what i do.

The Full HD Models costs way too much and 1600X900 ones are limited and too costly(out of mu budget) .

Can someone having a 15.6 Lap with Full HD Screen post photos of the screen with 2 applications
so that i can understand the difference.

Im looking to get HP P077TX http://www.flipkart.com/hp-pavilion-15-p077tx-notebook-... around $800 USD.

Im looking to upgrade mu old dell vostro 1015 http://www.dell.com/in/business/p/vostro-1015/pd

Is it a good upgrade please help me out :) 
August 6, 2014 4:00:05 AM

Hey,

More pixels don't mean you'll see the text or windows smaller, they'd be the same size. IT WON'T INCREASE YOUR WORK AREA PHYSICALLY.
What it'd really do is to increase the depth and details while gamin or streaming media or almost anything. It'd bring out more clarity, provided the video is 1080p.
There's no difference in the browsing experience and your text won't look smaller.

And that lappy is a solid one. The graphics, if not the best, will surely handle medium to heavy gaming. As you said 1080p is out of range so that appears the best to me. The CPU is good, solid RAM and Beats Audio all make very versatile value for money lappy. Go for it!
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 6, 2014 4:06:39 AM

"More pixels don't mean you'll see the text or windows smaller, they'd be the same size"

not true, I have a 4k monitor and FHD, the pixel amount has made the text much smaller, and I find it quite hard to read at times, the more pixels you are able to fit more things on the screen, so technically it does physically increase your work space, but the things are smaller.

I would like you to try this -

If you have a monitor that is 720p/1080p scale the resolution to a lower setting, you will see the text/icons are much bigger, and also the amount of things you can have on the screen is much less, with limited movement of programs across the screen due to the larger scaling of applications.
m
l
Related resources
August 6, 2014 4:17:29 AM

Ok I just tried that, on my 1080p 17" HP. Well what I really noticed is:
The text and icons just appeared blurrier than usual, in quality, NOT SIZE, as I'm used to FHD quality.
Yes they'll surely make a difference in 4k obviously lol, I'm about to get one so I'll check on that too.

Yes content in 1080p was a bit smaller than 720p but because of sharper edges and more detail. It wasn't noticeable to me though. 2-5 minutes of 720p and I could say 1080p is much sharper, played a 30sec video and the difference is noticeable. Windows also adjust to pixel density and screen size to optimize and be easy to read. I couldn't use for more than 5 minutes my eyes started getting hurt.

Since its a lappy you're gonna sit in front of it within 3 ft most of the time, so I don't think it'd be smaller than tolerable and it starts bothering you.
m
l
August 6, 2014 4:20:17 AM

BTW by smaller content in 1080p I mean the text/ icons are very slightly smaller in FHD, compared to 720p, which has a bit larger items.
m
l
August 6, 2014 4:26:06 AM

Thanks for the replies. what @unknownofprob says it true, @MeteorsRaining The thing is on a 15.6 inch text will be too small and you cannot read easily.
"so I don't think it'd be smaller than tolerable and it starts bothering you" Im used to working with the 1366 x 768 and 1600X900 i feel that i cannot appreciate full hd on screen less than 22 inches in size.

@MeteorsRaining can you post some pics of your 17 FHD screen
m
l
August 6, 2014 4:27:37 AM

I hope most Laps under $800 comes with 1366 x 768 Pixels.
m
l
August 6, 2014 4:28:58 AM

unknownofprob said:
"More pixels don't mean you'll see the text or windows smaller, they'd be the same size"

not true, I have a 4k monitor and FHD, the pixel amount has made the text much smaller, and I find it quite hard to read at times, the more pixels you are able to fit more things on the screen, so technically it does physically increase your work space, but the things are smaller.

I would like you to try this -

If you have a monitor that is 720p/1080p scale the resolution to a lower setting, you will see the text/icons are much bigger, and also the amount of things you can have on the screen is much less, with limited movement of programs across the screen due to the larger scaling of applications.

So what will be your advice?
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 6, 2014 4:35:16 AM

MeteorsRaining said:
Ok I just tried that, on my 1080p 17" HP. Well what I really noticed is:
The text and icons just appeared blurrier than usual, in quality, NOT SIZE, as I'm used to FHD quality.
Yes they'll surely make a difference in 4k obviously lol, I'm about to get one so I'll check on that too.

Yes content in 1080p was a bit smaller than 720p but because of sharper edges and more detail. It wasn't noticeable to me though. 2-5 minutes of 720p and I could say 1080p is much sharper, played a 30sec video and the difference is noticeable. Windows also adjust to pixel density and screen size to optimize and be easy to read. I couldn't use for more than 5 minutes my eyes started getting hurt.

Since its a lappy you're gonna sit in front of it within 3 ft most of the time, so I don't think it'd be smaller than tolerable and it starts bothering you.

Don't know what your doing so look at my FHD monitor being scaled so you can see for yourself -

Also I like the way you go from saying 'same size' to 'slightly smaller'.

so here we go then - 1920 x 1080

1280 x 720 -HD (resolution we are testing against FHD)

Now, I don't know what your doing but physical workspace is much less, and icon size is huge, so why not do it again, as it isn't just more blurry. i even had to scale down the display settings as they were too big. If you can't see the enlargement I don't know what to say. Also the icon size for both tests are set to smaller (default).
m
l
August 6, 2014 4:38:50 AM

Ohk I did it again, I was using 1024p lol. I see the difference now.
On 720p, the icons really appear huge, Idk how can one work in that space.
You were right on that, apologies.
Btw, I have already approved your lappy so enjoy! :D 
m
l
August 6, 2014 4:41:50 AM

So considering my uses,what you guys suggest,should i go with a full hd 15.6?
m
l
August 6, 2014 4:45:35 AM

If you enjoy lots of scrolling to view things then buy the 1366x768.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 6, 2014 4:46:09 AM

maverick121 said:

yes, defiantly.
m
l
August 6, 2014 4:47:49 AM

unknownofprob said:
maverick121 said:

yes, defiantly.

huh,why? so so small text and icons on a little 15 inch screen?
m
l
August 6, 2014 4:50:18 AM

Mind you, video and games quality will not be as good as in FHD, other than that, you're good to go with 768p 15.6" if you sit suitably far for text to not be pixelated.
IMHO, I sit no more than 2-3 ft away from my 17" FHD and don't have a single issue of text or icons being problematically small. I rather enjoy the quality. Your take now.
Btw, you should also keep in mind you'll be sitting no more than 2-3 ft away, so will 768p not be pixelated? I can't really say yes, as I was able to detect individual pixels by downgrading the size to 720p about 2 ft apart, but it may be that its just me, as I'm used to FHD from that distance.
m
l
August 6, 2014 4:51:03 AM

Joey2oo9 said:
If you enjoy lots of scrolling to view things then buy the 1366x768.

Well whatever be the resolution,a 15 inch screen has limits in the amount of space.There is no point in seeing the whole page microscopically rather than scrolling.

m
l
a b D Laptop
August 6, 2014 4:51:30 AM

Why is it better you ask? What were you planning to do so I can list some examples.
m
l
August 6, 2014 4:54:54 AM

MeteorsRaining said:
Mind you, video and games quality will not be as good as in FHD, other than that, you're good to go with 768p 15.6" if you sit suitably far for text to not be pixelated.
IMHO, I sit no more than 2-3 ft away from my 17" FHD and don't have a single issue of text or icons being problematically small. I rather enjoy the quality. Your take now.
Btw, you should also keep in mind you'll be sitting no more than 2-3 ft away, so will 768p not be pixelated? I can't really say yes, as I was able to detect individual pixels by downgrading the size to 720p about 2 ft apart, but it may be that its just me, as I'm used to FHD from that distance.

To pull the full hd resolution for gaming you need a powerful GPU with that adds the huge cost,there is no point in getting a mid range GPU and a Full HD Screen.Im just a casual gamer,i will be using this lap to meet my gaming needs when i dont have access to my PC.

My question-Where you guys live, is 1366 x 768 Pixel pretty much standard for mid range laptops?

m
l
August 6, 2014 4:58:23 AM

unknownofprob said:
Why is it better you ask? What were you planning to do so I can list some examples.

I will need to code in VS,Netbeans,Eclipse etc,Test some apps.
Casual gaming.
Multitasking is the reason i considered full hd as it has bigger(VIRTUAL) workarea but it seems on a 15.6 screen things will be too small for writing code in 2 windows simultaneously.

m
l
a b D Laptop
August 6, 2014 5:03:50 AM

I don;t really want to force any personal opinions on you, only pay what you feel is worth the difference or not. For me personally, FHD is defiantly worth it, I can have more things on the screen at once, Have better quality rendered images, including 3D. I program also (ROBOTC Vex 2.0 Cortex), and I have m program and design model open at the same time, saves my from constantly minimising programs often. I say this as on my HD macbook air, I can't have two things open at the same time of reasonable size, and its also 11".
m
l
August 6, 2014 5:08:06 AM

You're reacting as if you're told to work on 15" FHD from 5 ft away. It isn't that bad. My Toshiba lappy is FHD (my mom's actually) at 17" and is pretty much good for viewing. I sit next to her while she works, she's a software dev. I'm around 3 ft away from the screen and can read the text as well as see the icons both crystal clearly. Its the same as looking at 15.6" FHD from 2 ft away.
m
l
August 6, 2014 5:12:34 AM

:)  I understand.

Do you refer to your large screen monitor?
unknownofprob said:
I have m program and design model open at the same time, saves my from constantly minimising programs often.

I did not understand this statement,you are saying that you cannot have 2 programs open on your 11 macbook?

I can't have two things open at the same time of reasonable size, and its also 11". said:

I can't have two things open at the same time of reasonable size, and its also 11".

[/quotemsg]

I dont have anything against full hd it looks great on a bigger screen.
m
l
August 6, 2014 5:14:38 AM

MeteorsRaining said:
You're reacting as if you're told to work on 15" FHD from 5 ft away. It isn't that bad. My Toshiba lappy is FHD (my mom's actually) at 17" and is pretty much good for viewing. I sit next to her while she works, she's a software dev. I'm around 3 ft away from the screen and can read the text as well as see the icons both crystal clearly. Its the same as looking at 15.6" FHD from 2 ft away.

I dont know about that cannot confirm unless i see it :) 

m
l
August 6, 2014 5:15:09 AM

I'm not pressing you or manipulating to buy FHD. If its really out of your budget, don't consider it. If you can buy one with FHD display even if it seems costly but you are willing to spend if its worth it, then believe me, it is indeed worth it.
m
l
August 6, 2014 5:16:33 AM

MeteorsRaining said:
I'm not pressing you or manipulating to buy FHD. If its really out of your budget, don't consider it. If you can buy one with FHD display even if it seems costly but you are willing to spend if its worth it, then believe me, it is indeed worth it.

Well i think i will be disappointed after seeing all the text and stuff smaller and its not all worth it according to me.
m
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
August 6, 2014 5:17:41 AM

maverick121 said:
:)  I understand.

Do you refer to your large screen monitor?
unknownofprob said:
I have m program and design model open at the same time, saves my from constantly minimising programs often.

I did not understand this statement,you are saying that you cannot have 2 programs open on your 11 macbook?

I can't have two things open at the same time of reasonable size, and its also 11". said:

I can't have two things open at the same time of reasonable size, and its also 11".

I dont have anything against full hd it looks great on a bigger screen.
[/quotemsg]

my Macbook air can have two programs running, it's just the pixel density is to small, and the size and depth isn't good enough, on my 27" FHD monitor, it's not just the size but the added pixels which make me recommend it.

I was referring to the larger resolution screen, not the screen size itself.
August 6, 2014 5:18:38 AM

I will be better of with a Full HD Monitor as im planning to replace this one im typing on :) 
m
l
August 6, 2014 5:20:11 AM

@unknownofprob
I really love Full HD when it comes to large screen, but its a no go for a smaller screen.Full HD on a bigger screen provides more depth and more area and better images,i agree with you on that but on a smaller screen its not all worth it.Just my opinion.
m
l
August 6, 2014 5:21:41 AM

maverick121 said:
MeteorsRaining said:

Sure. Go to a good PC retail store and get 2 lappys, one with FHD and other with 768p, preferably of same size. Try to gauge out the differences. First look at FHD and see if its really that hard to see the text. Then move to 768p and I'm sure you'll feel the difference. It won't appear bigger and brighter on 768p but instead huge and blurrier. Or I can advice. I have all kinds of displays lol.
768p lappy 15.6" at 2ft is not that bad. 4 years old
1080p lappy 17" at 2ft is good. 2 years old
1080p monitor 17" at 3ft is excellent. 5 years old
768p monitor 19" at 3 ft: not too bad but far from good. 8 years old
4k monitor 28": yet to join. 7 days to come home

Hope I'm clear.
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 6, 2014 5:27:40 AM

maverick121 said:
@unknownofprob
I really love Full HD when it comes to large screen, but its a no go for a smaller screen.Full HD on a bigger screen provides more depth and more area and better images,i agree with you on that but on a smaller screen its not all worth it.Just my opinion.

the bigger screen doesn't really offer much, just spread out pixels. the screen isn't going to be so small for things to be visible, the resolution is far better and even if the screen size is smaller, I would preference it. I would like you to go with that your comfortable to get, and happy with the price. I just offered the advantages of the FHD screen.
m
l
August 6, 2014 5:30:35 AM

unknownofprob said:
maverick121 said:
@unknownofprob

the bigger screen doesn't really offer much, just spread out pixels. the screen isn't going to be so small for things to be visible, the resolution is far better and even if the screen size is smaller, I would preference it. I would like you to go with that your comfortable to get, and happy with the price. I just offered the advantages of the FHD screen.

I get that.FHD has its pros and cons :)  as well as HD.Anyway thanks :) 
m
l
August 6, 2014 5:34:38 AM

MeteorsRaining said:
maverick121 said:
MeteorsRaining said:

Sure. Go to a good PC retail store and get 2 lappys, one with FHD and other with 768p, preferably of same size. Try to gauge out the differences. First look at FHD and see if its really that hard to see the text. Then move to 768p and I'm sure you'll feel the difference. It won't appear bigger and brighter on 768p but instead huge and blurrier. Or I can advice. I have all kinds of displays lol.
768p lappy 15.6" at 2ft is not that bad. 4 years old
1080p lappy 17" at 2ft is good. 2 years old
1080p monitor 17" at 3ft is excellent. 5 years old
768p monitor 19" at 3 ft: not too bad but far from good. 8 years old
4k monitor 28": yet to join. 7 days to come home

Hope I'm clear.

Some reference http://forum.notebookreview.com/what-notebook-should-i-...

m
l
August 6, 2014 5:37:43 AM

Thanks for your comments and opinions.
m
l
August 6, 2014 5:38:19 AM

I can't really deny what I've seen and worked with. I just can't help but like FHD. Its entirely upto you though.
m
l
!