Is the 880 worth the wait?

ImmortalMamba

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I was going to purchase a gtx 780 ti when I heard the 880 was coming out soon at around the same specs/performance but will be 500$, which is about 200$ less than the 780 ti. Is everything that I have been hearing correct?

Solution
One gigabyte employee did an interview and told (cant remember website name) that their GTX 880 G1 Gaming card will come out mid september also originally everyone thought that the GTX 880 would beat out the GTX 780 TI but now people are starting to think it will be between the GTX 780 and GTX 780 TI so i would think NVIDIA's version of the R9 290X just probably cooler, i was originally going to get the R9 290X but they went out of stock and im not getting an overpriced GTX 780 or even worse GTX 780 TI, as the R9 290X came cheaper then the GTX 780 and the R9 290 cost the same as a high end GTX 770 (Australian prices), so ill be waiting and maybe i can save $50 on a cheaper PSU but noone knows for sure we just know its coming.

the 880 is supposed to be a 770 but looks differently.

the 880 is supposed to fall in between the 780 and 780ti as far as performance but with 25-40% less power draw. this is all speculative. buy what you can now. if you constantly wait for something new to come out or prices to drop you will always be waiting because prices always fall and something new will always come out.

ImmortalMamba

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013

Its just I'm saving up at the moment for a GTX 780 Ti and would be done saving around september and since the GTX 880 is coming out around that month, I was thinking maybe wait a week or two in september?

PC-Noobist

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2014
One gigabyte employee did an interview and told (cant remember website name) that their GTX 880 G1 Gaming card will come out mid september also originally everyone thought that the GTX 880 would beat out the GTX 780 TI but now people are starting to think it will be between the GTX 780 and GTX 780 TI so i would think NVIDIA's version of the R9 290X just probably cooler, i was originally going to get the R9 290X but they went out of stock and im not getting an overpriced GTX 780 or even worse GTX 780 TI, as the R9 290X came cheaper then the GTX 780 and the R9 290 cost the same as a high end GTX 770 (Australian prices), so ill be waiting and maybe i can save $50 on a cheaper PSU but noone knows for sure we just know its coming.

Solution

Starbird0

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
I would wait honestly. I doubt it's going to be worse than the 780ti, and the extra 1gb of Vram is going to be awesome for future proofing reasons. We should see some specs next month if the internet buzz is to be believed, and you can make a decision then.

Legend001525

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014
The 880 is worse than the 780 ti, it's not debatable, 99% chance it's worse, it's 500 dollars and the 780 ti is 750, what revolution allows it to be cheaper and powerful by 250 dollars,?

Starbird0

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

When has the flagship of the following series been worse than the last one, dual GPU monsters aside?

Legend001525

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014
I'm pretty sure there will be a gtx 890 or maybe even a 890 ti, if you go on videocardz.com, they have reliable information sourced from employees or sneak peaks and they say it's a 770 underneath but looks differently

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

When the GK104 680 came out it was faster than the "big Fermi" chip GF110, for less money, so its entirely possible.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

No one can say for sure until its released, but between the 780 and the 780 ti would be good guess (for significantly cheaper, and using a lot less power, just look at the 750 ti)

Starbird0

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

The problem with this is that those parts could be released a lot later on 20mm. Afaik, the 880 G1 coming this year is still going to be 28mm.

I will eat a kitten if they pull the same crap they did with the Titan/780 back in the day though.

Okay thanks but would you say the 880 is better than the 780 ti? It's inbetween 770 and 780 level

Short answer: we don't know.

Long answer: I think it will be, but there are arguments to be made from either side. There is a benchmark floating around that shows that it's better - but it could be faked or outdated.

If they would release a 6gb 780ti in a reasonable timeframe I'd be fine with that too, but the 3gb currently scares me away. Consoles have a poopton of vram these days which means we will likely see developers making games with the expectation of at least 4gb.

when videocardz says 880 will be 770 replacement many take that as a definite fact that 880 will be slower than 780Ti. in fact some other believe it will perform similarly like 770 in games or at best matching 780 performance. that why the article has been modified a bit to clarify what exactly they mean by 770 replacement. it was meant to replace 770 PCB wise and not performance wise from manufacturer stand point. and you're saying like 99% that 880 surely will be slower that 780Ti when VCZ did not say such. even the pricing is still considered as speculation.

Gaidax

Distinguished
I too believe it will be between 780 an 780Ti - $500 price tag makes sense that it will be that, since otherwise that would instantly kill off their 780Ti and Titans profits.

I am sure that they are simply going to artificially cripple 880s so that 780Ti would still make sense to toss $700 for (or titans ofc), I can already see where - 256bit VRAM bus with the same clock as 780s... That's 224GB/s bandwidth, subpar by current standards and will affect gaming at decent AA settings.

That may also explain why it benchmarks higher than Ti - probably with no AA it will be better than 780Ti, but the moment sufficient AA is in, it will get outperformed by 780Ti and benchmark just shows no AA performance.

i think this has gotten a little off topic... there is already a huge thread dedicated to speculation.

the op wants to know if its worth the wait. if saving money and getting the same or more performance is what you want. yes, you can ALWAYS wait because there will always be better things around the corner and prices ALWAYS drop.

if you can wait... do it... if you cant wait, why waste time in your life to enjoy something later when you can enjoy it now.

for me at least i think it might worth the wait since september/october launch is pretty much confirmed. unless you really need a new card ASAP or not in the market in new high end GPU. and secondly it is interesting to see if there will be new DX feature that not available in previous gen card. at the very least nvidia have said so in the past so that might be another reason to wait for new gen card. but that's just me though. when i got my GTX460 it was about a month before nvidia launch GTX560 Ti and i'm very well aware of that fact. but i'd pick GTX460 anyway since i know there is not much difference between the two.

i still think this is all speculation to be honest. but at this point, you might as well wait. i still think this is will be a paper launch and if history repeats itself, it still think the earliest we will see any maxwell based gpu that is faster than the gtx760 gk104 will be december. i used to think it wouldn't be until at least jan/feb 2015, but some of the rumors "might" be true.