R9 270 GPU upgrade

TheCheapGamer

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
So I've come across a bit of a problem.
I really need to upgrade my GPU from the ancient GT240 1GB Card to something..more powerful.

I have been researching a hell of a lot lately and want to know what would be a better option for gaming on ultra that wont break the budget for a 720p monitor.

The R9 270 appeals to me as it seems incredibly powerful for the price it is and it has Cross-Fire capabilites and that would be amazing for future upgrades.

The problem im facing is the R9 270 requires a 6pin connection which my PSU does not have. (450W PSU so it will need to be upgraded either way)

The alternative would be getting a GTX 750ti. which doesnt require a external power.

Would the GTX 750ti be a suitable replacement? Or do you think getting a 650W Corsair 80+ as well as the R9 270 be a better option for future upgrades such as cross-fire.

I play games such as Witcher 2, Skyrim, Assassins Creed IV, Arma 3 and DayZ and I would kill to play on Ultra.

Many thanks!

Solution
Get a new power supply. You won't regret it. The old power supply you have is probably a POS, so you're better off upgrading it anyhow.

I'd vote for the R9 270 + the new PSU. It'll offer more expandability than the 750TI. The 750TI is a good card but it's just as expensive and the 270 + new PSU allows for you to upgrade anything and still have some wattage leeway.

Shadowblade2652

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Get a new power supply. You won't regret it. The old power supply you have is probably a POS, so you're better off upgrading it anyhow.

I'd vote for the R9 270 + the new PSU. It'll offer more expandability than the 750TI. The 750TI is a good card but it's just as expensive and the 270 + new PSU allows for you to upgrade anything and still have some wattage leeway.

Solution