Solved

3tb WD My Book 1140 Media external hard drive not working

Hello, I have a 3tb WD My Book 1140 Media external hard drive, for about a year now. Has worked fine up intill now.

I turn on my computer and my hard drive sounds like it's starting up then it makes this noise sounds like its stuck on a lope over and over again. Then it stops making any noise, when I turn it off it makes the same shutting down.

The little light is on as well and blinking.

My mac laptop says it doesn't see the hard drive and it cannot read it/not supported. The disk utility shows up but it doesn't let me do anything.

This hard drive is very important everything is on there, all my work and personal stuff. it is very very important i get the stuff on it.

thank you
-JM
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 3tb book 1140 media external hard drive working
  1. There's physical damage in your drive. Its unlikely it can be fixed. Seems like the accutor is out of order.
    Try taking help of professional recovery and they might be able to extract the imp info out.
    Also, after pro recovery, you may want this drive to get replaced as they have 2 years warranty.
  2. MeteorsRaining said:
    There's physical damage in your drive. Its unlikely it can be fixed. Seems like the accutor is out of order.
    Try taking help of professional recovery and they might be able to extract the imp info out.
    Also, after pro recovery, you may want this drive to get replaced as they have 2 years warranty.


    Do you think I can still get the information off the drive?
  3. Best answer
    If the storage platter is not damaged then yes, or else, you may be out of luck.
    Only a physical inspection from a certified professional can tell for sure if or not the HDD is recoverable.
  4. Data recovery by a commercial company is not cheap. But what is your data worth. Expect to pay at least a few hundred dollars.
  5. Dear JM,
    You're actually getting a lot of very LAME advise---no offense posters, advise here CAN at times be good.
    Critical issue to understand with WD MyBook externals is that they have 2/TWO controller Cards. A PCB card which is more or less typical of any platter HDD but then a another controller that interfaces between the regular PCB and your USB connection. That card not only makes these drives USB3 capable, it also greatly facilitates being able to format these 3TB drives to run on an OS like XP 32--which normally doesn't recognize 3TB drives.

    That's all well and good but the second controller comes with a HUGE Gotcha. It encrypts EVERY THING written to these MyBooks. I've about 9 of the 3TB USB3 externals and I've run into read/write problems from time-to-time. I can be pretty HANDS on and one solution that's worked for me is to replace the "External "2nd controller card. You HAVE to order online from somewhere like EBAY because WD WILL NOT SELL YOU ONE. It MUST be the exact controller card for you drive's PCB controller. Every possible number (serial model rev version etc) has to be an exact match. I've been able to recover 3 seemingly DEAD WD MyBooks each for about $30-40 depending on who's got what cards for sale. Hong Kong IS supplying a lot of these (as well as PCB cards for most brands of drives--and AGAIN none of the manufacturers, Seagate (which has acquired nearly EVERYONE) Western Digital, Toshiba--NONE of them will sell you a PCB card--or any other "part" for that matter. NOR DO ANY of the Manufacturers trouble themselves with any kind of data retrieval. NOT IN THEIR BUSINESS PLAN so don't even expect sensible advice from their techies---they have none (because they have ZERO experience) whee data retrieval is concerned. .

    MANY times it IS one of the MyBooks 2 PCB cards that malfunction--95% of those times it will be what I call the External PCB which piggy backs off the drives regular PCB. Occasionally It's even the read/write heads locking or parking and NOT BUDGING---and sometimes they will inexplicably unpack themselves and you can be back in business. So do keep trying--much better if there is NOT huge urgency and you can just every now and then give it another shot.

    YES, I will confess to having stuck a clicking clacking HDD (will not even identify itself to the OS) HDD in the freezer and gotten it to work--but don't count on that. That ONLY really works for an "illegally parked head" If you have even a minor true hardware failure almost NOTHING will work with these 2 controller card, encrypted WD MY Books. HDD Regenerator, which can be fairly adept reading a drive sector-by-sector and continually trying to read a "bad sector" until it finally does get enough right 1&0's to "refresh" the sector with the correct data. In the best of scenarios that really only buys you enough good reads to successfully recovery your data (if you do it immediately)==for MyBooks HDD Regen usually doesn't fair very well. .Nor does Spinrite.

    Similarly you will have much LESS luck trying to recover accidentally formatted M-Books or My Biooks that have lost their MBR etc, using Recurva, GetDataBack, R=Studio and any other number of very good, sector-by-sector recovery Apps. IF it's a very simple file-integrity issue you might be able to regenerate lost data but MY BOOK, with it's double PCB's and it's every bit encrypted. is NOT a great candidate normally. If these APPS have to parse through and track down an entire array of pointers to regen a file.--even though the data may actually still be "in there", it's often simply beyond the scope of even the best recovery programs to successful deal with My Books.

    The advise to send your HDD for professional forensics is one of the most brain-dead suggestions I've seen offered up here. I assume folk have NO CLUE AT ALL just how much it cost to recover date from a 3TB multi-platter drive by way of a Professional Service. There is almost NO Ordinary user on the planet that is going to be able to, or want to, justify THAT expense.

    TO THAT POINT: These inexpensive 3TB drives FINALLY make it feasible to backup Windows fully and regularly--something we haven't been able to do since Windows 95. You also need to back up your externals to OTHER externals (use something like Acronis True Image) if you're storing critical data on them. They just aren't that expensive. If your Christmas photos from 2012 are have a couple of grand worth of sentimental value to you--then spend another $120 bucks to backup your externals. You ARE looking at the price of about 16 3tb externals if you're thinking of paying for professional recovery service.

    Back in the day, I would open a 350 Gig HDD and replace read-write heads, physically unfreeze a platters--mount platters in an identical but WORKING HDD, to spin them up and read them again. With these HIGH capacity drives that's really not a viable option, for me, any longer. It's a much more intricate and difficult undertaking now--and the Professional recovery services (which AlWAYS charged an arm and a leg even for single platter forensics--they want both arms and your first born now (well between $600 to $1200--even to "evaluate and estimate" your final $2300 to $3000 tab.
  6. Paulb47 said:
    Dear JM,
    You're actually getting a lot of very LAME advise---no offense posters, advise here CAN at times be good.
    Critical issue to understand with WD MyBook externals is that they have 2/TWO controller Cards. A PCB card which is more or less typical of any platter HDD but then a another controller that interfaces between the regular PCB and your USB connection. That card not only makes these drives USB3 capable, it also greatly facilitates being able to format these 3TB drives to run on an OS like XP 32--which normally doesn't recognize 3TB drives.

    That's all well and good but the second controller comes with a HUGE Gotcha. It encrypts EVERY THING written to these MyBooks. I've about 9 of the 3TB USB3 externals and I've run into read/write problems from time-to-time. I can be pretty HANDS on and one solution that's worked for me is to replace the "External "2nd controller card. You HAVE to order online from somewhere like EBAY because WD WILL NOT SELL YOU ONE. It MUST be the exact controller card for you drive's PCB controller. Every possible number (serial model rev version etc) has to be an exact match. I've been able to recover 3 seemingly DEAD WD MyBooks each for about $30-40 depending on who's got what cards for sale. Hong Kong IS supplying a lot of these (as well as PCB cards for most brands of drives--and AGAIN none of the manufacturers, Seagate (which has acquired nearly EVERYONE) Western Digital, Toshiba--NONE of them will sell you a PCB card--or any other "part" for that matter. NOR DO ANY of the Manufacturers trouble themselves with any kind of data retrieval. NOT IN THEIR BUSINESS PLAN so don't even expect sensible advice from their techies---they have none (because they have ZERO experience) whee data retrieval is concerned. .

    MANY times it IS one of the MyBooks 2 PCB cards that malfunction--95% of those times it will be what I call the External PCB which piggy backs off the drives regular PCB. Occasionally It's even the read/write heads locking or parking and NOT BUDGING---and sometimes they will inexplicably unpack themselves and you can be back in business. So do keep trying--much better if there is NOT huge urgency and you can just every now and then give it another shot.

    YES, I will confess to having stuck a clicking clacking HDD (will not even identify itself to the OS) HDD in the freezer and gotten it to work--but don't count on that. That ONLY really works for an "illegally parked head" If you have even a minor true hardware failure almost NOTHING will work with these 2 controller card, encrypted WD MY Books. HDD Regenerator, which can be fairly adept reading a drive sector-by-sector and continually trying to read a "bad sector" until it finally does get enough right 1&0's to "refresh" the sector with the correct data. In the best of scenarios that really only buys you enough good reads to successfully recovery your data (if you do it immediately)==for MyBooks HDD Regen usually doesn't fair very well. .Nor does Spinrite.

    Similarly you will have much LESS luck trying to recover accidentally formatted M-Books or My Biooks that have lost their MBR etc, using Recurva, GetDataBack, R=Studio and any other number of very good, sector-by-sector recovery Apps. IF it's a very simple file-integrity issue you might be able to regenerate lost data but MY BOOK, with it's double PCB's and it's every bit encrypted. is NOT a great candidate normally. If these APPS have to parse through and track down an entire array of pointers to regen a file.--even though the data may actually still be "in there", it's often simply beyond the scope of even the best recovery programs to successful deal with My Books.

    The advise to send your HDD for professional forensics is one of the most brain-dead suggestions I've seen offered up here. I assume folk have NO CLUE AT ALL just how much it cost to recover date from a 3TB multi-platter drive by way of a Professional Service. There is almost NO Ordinary user on the planet that is going to be able to, or want to, justify THAT expense.

    TO THAT POINT: These inexpensive 3TB drives FINALLY make it feasible to backup Windows fully and regularly--something we haven't been able to do since Windows 95. You also need to back up your externals to OTHER externals (use something like Acronis True Image) if you're storing critical data on them. They just aren't that expensive. If your Christmas photos from 2012 are have a couple of grand worth of sentimental value to you--then spend another $120 bucks to backup your externals. You ARE looking at the price of about 16 3tb externals if you're thinking of paying for professional recovery service.

    Back in the day, I would open a 350 Gig HDD and replace read-write heads, physically unfreeze a platters--mount platters in an identical but WORKING HDD, to spin them up and read them again. With these HIGH capacity drives that's really not a viable option, for me, any longer. It's a much more intricate and difficult undertaking now--and the Professional recovery services (which AlWAYS charged an arm and a leg even for single platter forensics--they want both arms and your first born now (well between $600 to $1200--even to "evaluate and estimate" your final $2300 to $3000 tab.

  7. Hey Paul, I just read this post because i'm having a very similar problem. I have a My Book DUO and last time I checked, both hard drives were indicated as ok. Now the damn thing won't startup... the fan comes on for about 4 seconds and then shuts off. This IS important data to me... and I thought I was safe with the Raid 1 setup.

    Are you saying that an authorized WD office won't take the My Book in and replace the failing PCB cards? This is an important issue for me... can you shed more light on it? I'd rather not try ordering parts and start playing around with it... would rather pay someone to repair the darn thing and then, as you recommend, transfer the data to another backup system.

    Let me know what you think? I'm just about to panic!

    Douglas
  8. NO! Western Digital will NOT trouble shoot any returned drive even at the level of trying to replace the PCB controllers. They simply are not geared up to do that. The best you can hope for is that they will replace the drive (if under warranty) but they will not attempt to fix YOUR drive or do ANY type of data recovery.

    It sounds like the read/write head is stuck in a "parked" state. Usually I can get past that but generally I have to remove the HDD from the external case to do so.

    You can just keep unplugging and plugging it back in again (or keep toggling the on/off switch---physically unplugging it more likely to work with multiple attempts) and hope that on one attempt it will un-park itself. IMexperience--if you're patient enough, eventually it will.

    I'm not that patient which is why I will take the drive out of the external case and try to force the head to unpark. You do have to be very careful in that enterprise. Some folks will just slap the drive "lightly" and have success but they are just as likely to take it from a parked head to a malfunctioning head by applying any kind of brute force.
  9. Paulb47 said:
    NO! Western Digital will NOT trouble shoot any returned drive even at the level of trying to replace the PCB controllers. They simply are not geared up to do that. The best you can hope for is that they will replace the drive (if under warranty) but they will not attempt to fix YOUR drive or do ANY type of data recovery.

    It sounds like the read/write head is stuck in a "parked" state. Usually I can get past that but generally I have to remove the HDD from the external case to do so.

    You can just keep unplugging and plugging it back in again (or keep toggling the on/off switch---physically unplugging it more likely to work with multiple attempts) and hope that on one attempt it will un-park itself. IMexperience--if you're patient enough, eventually it will.

    I'm not that patient which is why I will take the drive out of the external case and try to force the head to unpark. You do have to be very careful in that enterprise. Some folks will just slap the drive "lightly" and have success but they are just as likely to take it from a parked head to a malfunctioning head by applying any kind of brute force.
  10. Thanks. I tried starting many dozens of times over a period of a week... with the same result. I ended up removing the hard drives and connecting them directly to my PC... and much to my surprise both hard drives were
  11. ... both hard drives were 100% OK. So it was the PCB card that had failed. So I kept the hard drives and threw everything else out. Incidentally, I did go into the local WD service center asking them if I could pay to get a new PCB card and, as you predicted, they would do NOTHING. I gave them an ear full. It's one thing not to engage in data recovery... which is understandable... but to not offer to sell a spare part seems irresponsible to me. Anyway, lesson learned. Raid 1 on a storage device is NOT enough protection for data... one needs to back up a RAID 1 device. Now I've bought an 8TB NAS to back up the OTHER external hard drives. Ridiculous but so be it. I hope this serves to help others in my position.
  12. djknox said:
    ... both hard drives were 100% OK. So it was the PCB card that had failed. So I kept the hard drives and threw everything else out. Incidentally, I did go into the local WD service center asking them if I could pay to get a new PCB card and, as you predicted, they would do NOTHING. I gave them an ear full. It's one thing not to engage in data recovery... which is understandable... but to not offer to sell a spare part seems irresponsible to me. Anyway, lesson learned. Raid 1 on a storage device is NOT enough protection for data... one needs to back up a RAID 1 device. Now I've bought an 8TB NAS to back up the OTHER external hard drives. Ridiculous but so be it. I hope this serves to help others in my position.


    According to Paulb47, the data on these drives are encrypted. Did you find that not to be the case?
  13. par500206 said:
    djknox said:
    ... both hard drives were 100% OK. So it was the PCB card that had failed. So I kept the hard drives and threw everything else out. Incidentally, I did go into the local WD service center asking them if I could pay to get a new PCB card and, as you predicted, they would do NOTHING. I gave them an ear full. It's one thing not to engage in data recovery... which is understandable... but to not offer to sell a spare part seems irresponsible to me. Anyway, lesson learned. Raid 1 on a storage device is NOT enough protection for data... one needs to back up a RAID 1 device. Now I've bought an 8TB NAS to back up the OTHER external hard drives. Ridiculous but so be it. I hope this serves to help others in my position.


    According to Paulb47, the data on these drives are encrypted. Did you find that not to be the case?


    In my case the data was not encrypted... Possibly due to being an older model?
  14. Paul,

    I saw your knowledgeable response to a similar question:

    "Critical issue to understand with WD MyBook externals is that they have 2/TWO controller Cards. A PCB card which is more or less typical of any platter HDD but then a another controller that interfaces between the regular PCB and your USB connection. That card not only makes these drives USB3 capable, it also greatly facilitates being able to format these 3TB drives to run on an OS like XP 32--which normally doesn't recognize 3TB drives.

    MANY times it IS one of the MyBooks 2 PCB cards that malfunction--95% of those times it will be what I call the External PCB which piggy backs off the drives regular PCB. Occasionally It's even the read/write heads locking or parking and NOT BUDGING---and sometimes they will inexplicably unpack themselves and you can be back in business."

    I have a WD MyBook 250 GB that no longer shows up on my Mac. Model number WD2500E032. As this is an older model, does the 2 PCB card fix still apply? It is critical that I retrieve some of the data on the drive, but I don't have a couple of thousand dollars burning a hole in my pocket.
Ask a new question

Read More

Data Recovery Western Digital External Drive Storage