Solved

First build: Is it good?

Hello, all!

I've been reading a lot and watching a bunch of videos about pc building. This will be my first and I'm kind of nervous about it... that's why I'm here: so you guys, more experienced builders, can tell me if this spec can hold it's own. I intend on gaming with it:

mobo: AMD GA-78LMT-USB3 Rev 5.0 AM3+
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz
RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB 1600MHz (x2)
GPU: R9 290 4GB Tri-X DDR5 512-bits
PSU: OCZ ATX 750W
HD: WD SATA3 500.0GB 7200RPM Caviar Blue 6Gb/s

Will I have any bottlenecks with this spec? Can I game with it?

Thank you all!
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build good
  1. hd: for like $5-7 more u can get 1tb caviar blue hdd ususlly
  2. Your memory frequency for that motherboard is max 1333Mhz so yours is 1600Mhz, you need to change that. PSU is overkill a 600W will do fine. Replace the motherboard with MSI 970A-G46 http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-970ag46
  3. Best answer
    This motherboard is too weak for a FX 8 core :

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($177.98 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.95 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card ($369.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $843.87
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-08 10:36 EDT-0400

    Al you need is to had a case. since it is really more aesthetic than anything i let you choose.
  4. I'm not sure that the FX-8350 would bottleneck your GPU, but single core performance isn't really its thing (and that's what matters for gaming). If you can fit it in your budget, you might want to swap out the motherboard for a decent z97 and get an i5-4690k.
  5. iceblitzed said:
    hd: for like $5-7 more u can get 1tb caviar blue hdd ususlly


    Thank you for your reply!

    I'm aware that I could do some small tweeks. Unfortunately everything is extremely expensive here (Brazil), the difference here is considerably higher and I'm already a bit out of my budget... also, I don't intend on holding on movies or musics, and won't be playing a huge variaty of games at once...

    Thank you!
  6. majormajormajormajor said:
    I'm not sure that the FX-8350 would bottleneck your GPU, but single core performance isn't really its thing (and that's what matters for gaming). If you can fit it in your budget, you might want to swap out the motherboard for a decent z97 and get an i5-4690k.


    Hi! Thank you for your reply!

    I was going to buy an i5 4670k, but I'm already out of my budget with the presented spec (I'm brazilian and here everything is realy expensive... the spec I posted will cost me about US$ 1.510,00... the gamer's life is hard around here! <xp).
  7. pierrerock said:
    This motherboard is too weak for a FX 8 core :

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($177.98 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($73.95 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card ($369.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $843.87
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-08 10:36 EDT-0400

    Al you need is to had a case. since it is really more aesthetic than anything i let you choose.


    Thank you for your help!
    I was worried about the mobo... I'll try to find another one that doesn't go too crazy on my budget...

    Thank you!
  8. Guys, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

    I decided to go with the GigaByte p/ AMD GA-970A-D3P AM3/AM3+ mobo and down a bit the PSU! I think I can do a nice balance on my budget with this!

    Really apreciate the help!
    All the best!
  9. K6-II said:
    Your memory frequency for that motherboard is max 1333Mhz so yours is 1600Mhz, you need to change that. PSU is overkill a 600W will do fine. Replace the motherboard with MSI 970A-G46 http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-970ag46


    Thank you! I was worried about the mother board...

    I read a coment from a buyer that he changed the multiplier of ther memory at the bios; he put it to x8 and made the memory run at it's 1600mhz... does it make sense?

    Anyway, I won't risk it... will change the mobo... thank you!
  10. Wagner Zoccoli said:
    K6-II said:
    Your memory frequency for that motherboard is max 1333Mhz so yours is 1600Mhz, you need to change that. PSU is overkill a 600W will do fine. Replace the motherboard with MSI 970A-G46 http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-970ag46


    Thank you! I was worried about the mother board...

    I read a coment from a buyer that he changed the multiplier of ther memory at the bios; he put it to x8 and made the memory run at it's 1600mhz... does it make sense?

    Anyway, I won't risk it... will change the mobo... thank you!



    He changed the frequency from BIOS because the motherboard supports 1600Mhz sometimes motherboards come with default 1333Mhz, and you have to manually change it from BIOS

    Your welcome
Ask a new question

Read More

System Builder help Systems