r9 290 crossfire trouble

ROCKSTARhjk

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
WELL, i paired up a pair of r9 290s with cross fire enabled, both the cards are overclocked,the memory has been clocked to 1450 mhz and the gpu itself to 1100 mhz i dont let the temps hit more then 70 even when heavy gaming, now my problem is that i started playing tomb raider today and there are large patches of square boxes that are either dark or missing and the game stops with an error that the app stopped working but, when i turn off the crossfire mode, kaboom 70 + fps on 1600x900 everything cranked to extreme,now the same problem is with watch dogs what can be done so that i can utilize the other card aswell, i am very worried because i guess i wasted 500 bucks on a card that is just sitting in my pc doing nothing at all
and yes most importantly
i7 3770k 4.8 ghz
asrock z77 extreme 4
2 seagate 3tb hdds
gpu r9 290 (two in number )
power supply seasonic x1250
32 gb of corsair vengeance memory clocked at 1600 mhz

Solution
While verifying the cache for your Steam games is not a bad idea, that multiple titles are exhibiting the same symptoms makes it sound like the source of your problems are separate from the games themselves.

I'm glad BF4 is working well with your overclock, but each game engine can exert unique stresses on the cards, causing them to reveal problems that are there, but not affecting all titles you run on them.

Down clocking and running with two stable 290's is going to far exceed what you could gain by overclocking a single one.

I know from my own experience in overclocking my CrossFire pair of Tahiti LE cards, one will operate fine up to about 1250 MHz while the other is good to about 1225 MHz, and if I try for 1 more MHz on either...
How have you determined that the overclock on your cards is stable? It is my personal opinion that from the description of your symptoms, your cards are not functioning correctly with your currently applied overclock. Temperature is not an assessment of stability in an overclock situation, although it can be an indicator that something is not good.

Unless you're playing your games on a screen capable of more than 60 Hz refresh, 70+ from a single card makes CrossFire a tad unnecessary. However, if you do get the occasional dip under 60 Hz and wish to avoid it, or are playing on a screen capable of higher refresh rates, turning down the overclock and getting functional CrossFire should yield better performance than a single overclocked card.

ROCKSTARhjk

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014

yes both the games are on steam and i am up to date and as u said. NOW i will try to verify the cache
How have you determined that the overclock on your cards is stable?
well on bf4 the thing is killing like a beast
but on these games i get these dark squares

It is my personal opinion that from the description of your symptoms, your cards are not functioning correctly with your currently applied overclock. Temperature is not an assessment of stability in an overclock situation, although it can be an indicator that something is not good
well i will try that aswell and crank these guys to a lower clocks and see if that helps
and yes the monitor is a 120 hz lg monitor and i played for around 7 hours and logged the fps and found out that the frames were above 68 at all the times

While verifying the cache for your Steam games is not a bad idea, that multiple titles are exhibiting the same symptoms makes it sound like the source of your problems are separate from the games themselves.

I'm glad BF4 is working well with your overclock, but each game engine can exert unique stresses on the cards, causing them to reveal problems that are there, but not affecting all titles you run on them.

Down clocking and running with two stable 290's is going to far exceed what you could gain by overclocking a single one.

I know from my own experience in overclocking my CrossFire pair of Tahiti LE cards, one will operate fine up to about 1250 MHz while the other is good to about 1225 MHz, and if I try for 1 more MHz on either one, they both tank. Temps are fine, it's just that the silicon is not stable beyond that point. Overclocking the RAM yielded issues right away, so it's pretty clear to me on my own setup, stock settings for the RAM on my own cards is already close to it's limit.

You may be able to overclock your GPUs a bit if you dial back on the memory, or vice versa, once you find which of the two is causing your symptoms.

Patches that appear to be corrupted or have missing textures would lead me to suspect memory before the GPUs processor.

Solution

ROCKSTARhjk

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014

HELL YEAH MAN U ARE A DARN PROFESSIONAL!!!!!, I UNDER CLOCKED BOTH THE MEMORY AND THE GPU, I UNDERCLOCKED THE GPU TO 1050 MHZ AND MEMORY TO 1200 AND KA BOOM!!, I JUMPED ABOVE 130 FPS WITH MAX 144 AND MIN 123 THANKS ALOT MAN !!, REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP, I WONDER WHEN IS AMD GOING TO RELEASE A DRIVER THAT CAN HELP US USE OUR GPUS AT HIGHER CLOCKS

Well, you're asking a lot of transistors to run at a very high frequency. 1050 sounds reasonable, but I wouldn't suspect the chips are able to push too much more, no matter the conditions. There's just too many pieces you need to be running in sync and not to hiccup. A new architecture or new manufacturing may help push things further, but I wouldn't expect significant gains without significant changes in the manufacturing process.

On the other hand, I'm glad you're up and running with your CrossFire. As you can see, the two cards running slightly slower are far more capable due to the added processing resources than just pushing the resources of one card harder.