Fx-8320 or i5-4460 for live-streaming?

rockr09

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
I'm just wondering if a i5-4460 could live-stream reasonably well (at least 720p) or should I go for the Fx-8320 instead? I want this pc mostly for gaming, but I was hoping to stream every now and then and record youtube videos on it. I don't plan on overclocking for now either. I'd much rather get Intel but if the Fx-8320 will be much better than I'll get it.

Edit: I'm also stuck with a 500w PSU right now.

Solution

Between those setups i would defently choose the 8320 since you can even get a decent cooler and a medicore mobo, (I've owned the 970 Extreme3 paired with a FX6100 in the past and it was a decent mobo that would take a decent or average-ish overclock)

So the 8320 with the medicore mobo and a decent cooler would defently be my choice here! ;)

EDIT: yeah the 500w is a limit that will make the overclocking option a no-go.
could you post...

NiCoM

Honorable
would take the 8320, it scores higher on cpubenchmark.net (~8.000 vs ~6.800) So the 4460's single-core performance is better, which is mostly important for gaming, but when you add streaming you'll be using more cores and therefore i would say that it's better with the 8320. I would also guess that the 8320 with weaker cores but double the ammount of the 4460s, is a better video editing cpu too.

One big difference is that the 8320 is unlocked (overclockable), whereas the 4460 isn't. The overclocked benchmark (though this is a little different from cpu to cpu) on cpubenchmark.net is pretty good at ~9250, if you have a decent cooler, that is suddenly quite a difference from the intel's ~6.800 score.

So straight out gaming it would be a harsh choice, but with streaming and video editing, i would recommend the FX8320. ;)

rockr09

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
It is around $260 for cpu/mobo/cooler. Basically I'm choosing between these two configurations:

i5-4460 with GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H LGA 1150 Intel B85 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

or

AMD FX-8320 with ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard and Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo

If you're only streaming occasionally then absolutely get the i5. It will handle 720p easily enough, and generally perform better in games.

The FX 8320 would perform better in streaming, but I wouldn't give up the intel for it if you're only doing it occasionally. The difference in some situations may be negligible.

May I ask what it is you're looking to stream? Any specific titles?

BTW if you export from pcpartpicker, you can change it to BBCode and that works well on these forums. Noticed you had it on earlier, just some info for future reference if you ever need it.

rockr09

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

Dark Souls 2

edit: I'm too used to reddit formatting...

rockr09

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
Oh another thing (that I probably should have put in the op) is that I'm stuck with a 500w PSU for now, and the estimated wattage on the Intel build is 414 watts and the AMD build is 484 watts? Should I factor that in too?

NiCoM

Honorable

Between those setups i would defently choose the 8320 since you can even get a decent cooler and a medicore mobo, (I've owned the 970 Extreme3 paired with a FX6100 in the past and it was a decent mobo that would take a decent or average-ish overclock)

So the 8320 with the medicore mobo and a decent cooler would defently be my choice here! ;)

EDIT: yeah the 500w is a limit that will make the overclocking option a no-go.
could you post your build specs? :)

Solution

rockr09

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
This is the AMD build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($139.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.48 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($182.00)
Case: Enermax ECA3253-BW ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($0.00)
Total: $613.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-08 14:42 EDT-0400

The Intel build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($182.79 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($63.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($182.00)
Case: Enermax ECA3253-BW ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($0.00)
Total: $601.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-08 14:46 EDT-0400

Also the PSU will be upgraded in a few months if it needs to be.

NiCoM

Honorable

Using extreme power supply calculator i got these results.
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

8320, 2 RAM DIMMs, R9 290 (some of the worst case scenario gpu), 2 HDDs, 1 SSD, 3 fans = 440w min, 490w recommended

4460 with same stuff was only 33w lower in consumption.

now i know the chances your build looks like this are small but it gives a good guideline, i putted a extremely power hungry gpu in there which is the component that draws most power in most cases. If you had a R9 270, GTX760 or something similar the power draw drops by ~90w.

So im pretty confident that your system can handle it, though i also won't blame you if you just like Intel processors more and rather want to buy that. :/

EDIT: power draw is ~20w lower replacing the R9 290 with the R9 280X, a recommended of 478w for the 8320 on the site.

rockr09

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
Well I guess I'm leaning towards the 8320 for now since it seems to be the best for my uses. I order the parts in around 4 days. I'll definitely be upgrading the PSU later though.

Actually one more question, would I be able to use the stock turbo overclock included on the AMD or is that not part of the estimated power draw?

NiCoM

Honorable

Think it's included. And a new psu would defently be useful since that would allow you to overclock, which is where the FX 83xx truly shines. :p

I would recommend getting the XFX Proseries XXX Edition 550w, it's very cheap and a high quality unit.
If you want to find a psu yourself you can use this Psu Tier list (would go for highest possible Tier and a minimun of Tier Three, the XFX is a Tier one unit at a good price!)
TIER LIST FOR PSUs:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

Im glad i could help :)

EDIT: Link to XFX psu pricing: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb9
Personally running a overclocked i5 4670K, H100i, R9 290 on a 550w Tier Two Class A, think my power draw is slightly higher than yours and this psu is 1+ year old too, so 550w is fine. ;)

Annihilate? No. Plus once you've spent enough money to have overclocked the FX you could have gotten a better i5, which would outperform the overclocked 8320.

PandaBear270

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013

I will not unless you overclock it too. And even I will seriously doubt it given the double brute processing capability.

NiCoM

Honorable

Even the i5 4670K doesn't have as high a score as the 8320 overclocked. So even if the bought the 4670K with a B85 motherboard it wouldn't outperform it. And remember the 4460 with a B85 mobo cost the same as a 8320 with a overclock-ready board and a 212 EVO so no, he's not spending more. ;)
EDIT: doesn't cost the same but OP can presumably get it around same price.

High score in what exactly? And where are the processors overclocked to? Or is this something you just made up?

Prices differ by location. A 212 EVO will only get an 8320 to about 4.4.

Purchasing an i5 4670k with a B85 motherboard would be a waste of time, I don't understand why you even gave that example.

I don't doubt that the 8320 streams better. I just doubt that it streams that much better.

I'm unsure what the several "it"s that you're referring to here are.

PandaBear270

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013

It will not unless you overclock it too (the i5). And even I will seriously doubt it given the double brute processing capability (of the 8320).

And yes, we all know the i5 is really close to the FX in everything due to the better, non resource sharing architecture.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
Either would be good honestly. If you're going to play more cpu intensive stuff like RTS or MMO I'd go i5. AMD isn't as bad as everybody makes it out to be, but the i5 is much better per core. Streaming matters much more on internet speed anyway, you need to set your bit rate and buffer size accordingly because your viewers aren't all going to have good internet. What's your internet speed and ping?

In day to day stuff because of the better single thread performance the i5 would likely appear faster.

How are you getting a brand new r9 280x for only ~$180? I just looked and they're going for about ~$300 on every major site. And the power supply shows up as costing 0.0 in the list posted when that 500w corsair builder usually goes for 50bucks.

I'd recommend going to the r9 280 (basically hd7950, still really nice for 1080p gaming) and using the saved money to get at least a decent 120gb SSD. That would make a world of difference. Using a HDD based pc feels really icky to me. An SSD is the single best upgrade you could ever do for your pc.

rockr09

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
I checked and apparently my internet speed(15mbs down, 1.5mbs up) isn't too good for streaming so I may just be making youtube recordings instead.

The PSU was a gift and I'm going to get the 280x used, a gamble I know but it would still have the warranty.

I'm getting a SSD eventually, it's not a priority to me though.

Also I don't plan on overclocking unless it's really necessary or shows a significant improvement. I'm still undecided though... guess it will just come down to when I actually buy it in 2 days.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
Yeah that internet speed really isn't that good for streaming, mine is barely better than that. (20mbs down and maybe 2.0mbs if I'm lucky Upload)

You could at a lowered resolution, I'm sure it might be good enough for at least 480p streaming, as a viewer I'd be fine with watching somebody on 480p, just means it would eat up my internet alot less than somebody trying to do 720p, or heaven forbid somebody trying to do 1080p lol.

In that case either would still be good, but the i5 would likely appear fast in day to day stuff due to the much stronger cores, the 280x is a really good GPU. I recommend an SSD as the next thing you ever upgrade, it's a night and day difference, at least to me, and I use my pc alot per day. I used a HDD for about 8 months and it was still good, just sometimes sluggish.

I could of honestly went AMD and probably been just as happy, I don't play stuff like RTS or MMO super tryhard competitively where the better single thread performance would matter. Mostly just console ports cheap or whatever pc stuff is cheap on steam sales.

BrandonCSLC

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
My rig:
CPU: Fx8320
MOBO: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
CPU COOLER: Corsair H60
GPU 1&2: Gigabyte GTX770 4gb SLI edition
PSU: Corsair CX750W

Sometimes waiting an extra paycheck for better parts is a good thing. My suggestion is get a mobo with a 990 chipset like the Asus M5A99FX and pair it with the 8320. Its no Intel chip but for the price it gets the job done. A nicer board for the fx8320 will provide you with the possibility of upgrades in the future (I.e. sli/crossfire, more hard drives...). You just have to make sure your PSU has a 8+2 ATX power connector. Either way, Intel or AMD, you cant go wrong. Both chips you have picked are good. The AMD is just cheaper but more power hungry. Which is fine. It just means More power =more heat and the stock coolers for both CPU are crap and very noisy. Your 500 watt psu will have no problems powering a single GPU with either of thise chips. I have Nvidia cards which uses shadowplay to stream games. It is a great tool that minimizes fps hits while streaming. I dont know if mantel offers the same service. Anyway, im rambling.

Fx8320 = cheaper CPU means you can afford better componants. Great chip you wont have any problems with.

Intel I5 = better performance at a higher cost. Great chip you wont have any problems with.

From what I understand these two chips are pretty close performance wise.

Good luck!