fx 8320 overkill ?

Solution
there's no term "overkill" in pc world..

buy the best that you can get today..

future software, gaming and application will use more thread for running, so like Yubelikedat said, fx8320 will be future proof rather than fx6300.

about turbo mode..
"The Turbo mode on AMD's is a speed boosting feature for when you need more power form your CPU it then returns to the normal speed when the extra boost is not needed. It is NOT the same as a straight over clock. If you want to actually over clock, you need to disable the speed boost. "

proropke

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2014

All right and can you explain what is turbo mode ?

Pr3di

Honorable
You made a good choice, don`t worry.
Maybe you`ll not feel the difference between these two CPU`s right now, but in the next years, with more powerful games, you`l have more performance from the 8320.

Quaddro

Distinguished
there's no term "overkill" in pc world..

buy the best that you can get today..

future software, gaming and application will use more thread for running, so like Yubelikedat said, fx8320 will be future proof rather than fx6300.

about turbo mode..
"The Turbo mode on AMD's is a speed boosting feature for when you need more power form your CPU it then returns to the normal speed when the extra boost is not needed. It is NOT the same as a straight over clock. If you want to actually over clock, you need to disable the speed boost. "

Solution

proropke

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2014

I don't plan to overclock at all, so when i buy it this turbo mode will be activated already or i will need to do it in bios ?

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

The part about the 8320 being easier to overclock is incorrect. I have both. The 6300 is easier to get a good overclock out of because it generates less heat. For most situations the 6300 is actually the better of the two cpu's. It needs less voltage. Generates less heat and on the whole overclocks better.

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
Eh either would be decent for gaming today. By the time 8 cores are needed the 8320 would really be obsolete. It's a really good CPU for the money though along with the fx6300. You don't see very many people who held onto those old core 2 quads trying to run BF4 64man multiplayer do you? Most serious PC gamers have at least moved onto the i5 2500k which is much stronger per core, or at least a high clocked modern AMD cpu.

I seriously doubt a strong quad core becomes obsolete ANY time soon tbh. For 10 more I would of went with the 8320 as well, but yeah, you need to pair it with a good motherboard, it's a power hungry CPU and gets hot. The fx6300 is more forgiving on cheap motherboards because of the 95w TDP

proropke

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2014

Can you please be absolute crazy man and help me what mobo. I just cant find there is so many options and please don't find me a list of 10 motherboards cause you know i can't. budget is about £70 but if really needed i'm sure i can find more