HP 8000 SFF PSU Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

leebaldz5332

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
Hi guys, just asking. Anyone here who upgraded a PSU for HP 8000 SFF? The default PSU for this is 240w. I was just wondering if I could install a power supply that has a higher wattage (probably around 300w). I know HP discourages this. My warranty's out. and I just want to amp this PC up.

Solution
if your thinking of adding a graphics card you cant get anything more powerful then a 750ti or 7750 in low profile anywhay so you dont need a psu upgrade otherwise i would just get a new comptuer entirely

legokill101

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
if your thinking of adding a graphics card you cant get anything more powerful then a 750ti or 7750 in low profile anywhay so you dont need a psu upgrade otherwise i would just get a new comptuer entirely

Solution

leebaldz5332

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014

I see. I thought of that at first. Which one will be better then? Or should I say, which of these GPUs consume less power?

BrotherVan

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

This is true but only in theory. The lower powered GT 740 will allow the system to boot but as soon as you play a basic Youtube video the system will crash. You'll need more power. This is first hand experience. I have looked for days and have not found a conversion kit or adapter cable that will work with the TFX 350w PSU I bought. FYI it only looks like a Aux connecter. The pin-outs are different. Same with the 6 pin connecter that looks like a PCIE connector. The motherboard doesn't even have a 24 pin blank on it. At this point I am thinking that maybe an AMD low profile video card with a power connector on it would work if I adapted a laptop power brick to through power only to the card. Ill let you know if I find a cable adapter or pin-out information to make an adapter. I'll also let you know if I blow up the PC. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.