Solved

Questions on next PC build! [Performance & write speed issues]

Okay well, I will be getting my parts for my new computer soon and I want a few questions answered about the computer with the parts listed below, any help is appreciated :)
This will be my only PC so tell me if it needs parts replaced, or something better.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
GPU: MSi HD 7850 2GB DDR5 OC *I currently use this in my current build*
RAM: 8GB of 1600Mhz RAM from my current build.
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.99 @ NCIX US) (I also will be using my current one I have, so 2 of these)
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black/Orange) ATX Full Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro, since my current HDD will still be my main.

I personally have the Case, RAM, GPU, my current hard drive, current 450w power supply, a optical drive on my current PC, and such. So if I was to get the i7-4770k + Motherboard, put it in my new case, can I use it with my 450w power supply and not get bottlenecked? until I can get the 750w power supply, also I'd like to know if that power supply will work for my graphics card which uses a 6-pin power connector.

Also, would I need to use an anti-static bracelet when I build my PC? I read online and people say its good to make sure your parts are fine, but they never personally use one? Just want to make sure.

I currently have a A8-5500 + HD 7850, 450w Power Supply, 8GB of 1600Mhz Ram, 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive, and Win 8.1 Pro all into my small mid-tower, I run games like BF4 at medium 25-40FPS, 1920x1080 using DirextX 11, should the i7-4770k improve my gaming experience by alot? I am really hoping to run games like Watch Dogs at high, 40+ fps, and games like BF4 at high at 60+ so if anyone knows how this PC would preform, I'd love to hear!

Thanks for the help guys!
Also, one last thing, with my current PC I've been having write speed issues. I like to try to upload YouTube videos and I record with Dxtory, so my write speed has to be about 150MB/s or so, but recently it has been dropping to 40, 60, 80 at times and I can't record a steady 30fps even if I can run the game at 60fps. I have been trying to defragment daily with O&O Defrag, but it doesn't seem to be helping, any help guys or solutions? (I tried making sure the Sata cable wasn't the issue, I used a different one, then I also cleaned out my PC like dust, but I don't know how to fix it other than defrags. I'd love to hear some helpful comments about this part as well)

-Nexo
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about questions build performance write speed issues
  1. Best answer
    A couple things, I would get the i7-4790k instead of the 4770k, I would get a SSD (120 or 250GB), I would also suggest getting a better PSU for your build, I would suggest a 650W one from EVGA, seasonic or XFX.

    As for your write speed issues, how full is the HDD? as the more full it gets, the slower it will write onto the disk
  2. Nuckles_56 said:
    A couple things, I would get the i7-4790k instead of the 4770k, I would get a SSD (120 or 250GB), I would also suggest getting a better PSU for your build, I would suggest a 650W one from EVGA, seasonic or XFX.

    As for your write speed issues, how full is the HDD? as the more full it gets, the slower it will write onto the disk


    I can purchase the i7-4790K, so thanks for that suggestion, for an SSD I thought of one, but I won't get one until later in September so I didn't put it on the main things to buy just because I won't be able to get one somwhere within 2 weeks or less.

    Now, if I get the i7-4790k + Motherboard, and I decide to put it together with a 450w power supply, will it bottleneck and will it work properly?

    Also would this PSU fit my needs for when I upgrade it? XFX Core Edition PRO650W (P1-650S-NLB9) 650W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI CrossFire 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

    As for hard drive, I have 574GB free, so I don't know what the issue is considering before even with 250GB free I could record fine.
  3. I would say that it would be better to play it safe and get that XFX power supply to begin with and I would say that it is easier to get the SSD to begin with as well, then you don't have to install windows on it at a later date and then deal with all the issues that it causes
  4. Nuckles_56 said:
    I would say that it would be better to play it safe and get that XFX power supply to begin with and I would say that it is easier to get the SSD to begin with as well, then you don't have to install windows on it at a later date and then deal with all the issues that it causes


    Well my plan was to originally get the CPU and motherboard by about August 28th or so (if it takes long to arrive) then get the power supply and SSD towards the end of September. Personally I really enjoy playing Battlefield 4, and mate I am just wondering if I can run it on 450w for the time being, and also, if I get a SSD + 1TB HDD. Lets say I have things I want to keep (music and stuff), wouldn't I need to transfer my music over to the new HDD and stuff, then install windows on the SSD and then format my original hard drive? I personally don't want to have to back it up to a laptop, so would that work out?

    Also do you know what the performance difference would be from the A8-5500 to the i7-4790k for games like Battlefield 4, BF3, and Watch Dogs?
  5. I would advice against using the power supply you have got as it will be close to the amount of power that the system will use when gaming. What I would do is to do as you said but avoid backing it up to the laptop if possible, which means that you need one more SATA cable for your machine.

    With a dedicated GPU, there will be a fairly significant performance advantage to the i7 in those games
  6. Nuckles_56 said:
    I would advice against using the power supply you have got as it will be close to the amount of power that the system will use when gaming. What I would do is to do as you said but avoid backing it up to the laptop if possible, which means that you need one more SATA cable for your machine.

    With a dedicated GPU, there will be a fairly significant performance advantage to the i7 in those games


    Thanks mate, well I shall try to get those parts and such. Thanks for all the help but do you know anything about my current hard drives write speed? I try restarting and O&O Defrag, and doesn't seem to help.
  7. Yeah, I can't help you there, I would suggest that you create a separate post about it and hope someone who is more knowledgeable in that area than I can help you
  8. Nuckles_56 said:
    Yeah, I can't help you there, I would suggest that you create a separate post about it and hope someone who is more knowledgeable in that area than I can help you


    Ah well, thanks for all the help mate :)
  9. No worries and good luck with your new build and also find help with your hard drive issues
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Defragment Intel Motherboards Build Your Own Storage CPUs Build Components Memory Graphics Cards