Would a 7970 without mantle be better than a 260x with mantle?

I recently bought a computer from a friend for an absolute steal. It was only missing an HDD, RAM, and a CPU cooler. But i got a pair of 7970, and I'm wondering if one of them will be better than my 260x I currently had in my rig. I know that mantle is suppose to really help performance, but the 7970's are beats. So the title says it all. Which would perform better.

Also I am looking to sell one of the 7970's if anyone is interested.

The HD 7970 is almost identical to the R9-280X. They use the exact same core and configuration, but the newer R9-280X has a few minor tweaks. A single 280X will beat the pants off of a pair of 260X in crossfire.

oxiide

Distinguished
You should also take into consideration that Mantle is more about the CPU workload than the GPU. Processors that have little or no trouble keeping up with the extra overhead posed by DirectX (like a Core i5 or i7) won't really show much difference when you're running Mantle instead. Sometimes Mantle is even slower in those cases.

CPUs for which Mantle makes a huge difference are lower end ones, usually AMD: Athlon II's, APUs, FX-4000's, FX-6000's a bit. So it may not even be worth bothering with, depending your setup.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-mantle-performance-benchmark,3860.html

Thanks for the explanation. These 7970's seem awesome. Only a month ago I was using a 7570. Then I went up to a 260x and now 7970. I could use the new motherboard, and crossfire both 7970's but I don't have a copy of windows, and I don't think I can use my current windows with changing motherboards because it was originally an HP setup.