780 3gb vs 780 6gb

Lasorous

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
Hello guys,

I keep going around in circles here as i don't know what to do when it comes to the 3gb vs 6gb vram war. I am getting the new Asus Rog Swift 2560x1440p 120hz monitor and i don't think my gpu (GTX 670 windforce) will cut it anymore to play all games on maximum.
So i was wondering would say the 3gb version of the gtx 780 such as this one suffice http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-014-IN&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1341

Or shall i go for the EVGA 6gb version http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KB5AQE4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Could someone help push me into buying the correct one without wasting more money on something that i might not actually need. I would consider a 780ti if it is truly worth it.

I hope you guys can help ;) Thanks !!

Solution
Even if you do run out of memory three years down the line. Your GPU will still be the bottleneck, not the memory. Spend that money somewhere else maybe better storage etc. I would recommend you keep your GTX 670 and wait until September. the GTX 780/670 both wont max out games at that resolution, at least not Crysis 3. In addition the GTX 780 isn't worth the upgrade, unless you cant wait. Don't bother with Inno3D It's worth spending slightly more on a more reputable brand such as Gigabyte, Asus, Evga. Also no point in 780 ti again in my opinion wait for the Maxwell GPUs in September, and 780, or 780 ti not are worth the upgrade, even at that resolution. Or maybe just buy the monitor and see what frames you get, and if its not enough...

kasol kay

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Even if you do run out of memory three years down the line. Your GPU will still be the bottleneck, not the memory. Spend that money somewhere else maybe better storage etc. I would recommend you keep your GTX 670 and wait until September. the GTX 780/670 both wont max out games at that resolution, at least not Crysis 3. In addition the GTX 780 isn't worth the upgrade, unless you cant wait. Don't bother with Inno3D It's worth spending slightly more on a more reputable brand such as Gigabyte, Asus, Evga. Also no point in 780 ti again in my opinion wait for the Maxwell GPUs in September, and 780, or 780 ti not are worth the upgrade, even at that resolution. Or maybe just buy the monitor and see what frames you get, and if its not enough get the Maxwell GPU's or GTX 780/Ti. Best of luck: ! :) (Probably just wrote the same thing a couple of times, sorry about that.)

Solution

Lasorous

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

Ok thanks for the response, i would definitely wait till September if the 800 series releases then but are you sure it will be coming out in September? I mean i did read somewhere that Gigabyte confirmed a september release but i don't know if that was true or not.

kasol kay

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

You never know, just depends on how long you're willing to wait.