780 vs r9 290x for 1440p gaming

ToaBomber

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
I'm getting 3 1440p Korean monitors to game on and I don't know if I should go with an evga 780 6gb, an evga acx 3gb 780, an evga acx 780 ti, or a sapphire r9 290x tri-x. and should I do crossfire/sli with it

Solution

a single 780 would probably still struggle with med details as it lacks the processing power for that many pixels regarless how much ram it has. you would be better off with 2x 4gb 290's than 1x 6gb 780, just for the extra gpu power. Unless you were to get 1x 6gb 780 and see how it goes, then get another if you decide perofmrance isnt up to scratch. There is a fine line as to where the biggest performance hit is, running out of vram or running out of gpu processing power. Best not to run out of either!
for 3 1440p monitors 4gb vram would be minimum. Ram does not add in crossfire or sli, it is mirrored over the cards, each card has itrs own copy of vram. so usable vram is that of the card with the lowes amount of vram. crossfire 290 4gb cards as a minimum at that res. Preferably the 6gb 780's. Fast system ram will also help in the case of a vid card running out of vram, as it hten spills to system ram, which is much much slower. Quad channel ram and motherboard becomes beneficial at this res.

leeb2013

Honorable
+1 for 4GB VRAM or greater. I game on 3 x 1050 monitors and at least 2 games fill 4GB. I might be tempted to go for 6GB.

I'm not sure about crossfire issues, I never had any issues with 2x HD7950 and I thought R9-290(x) crossfire was meant to be better. AMD seem to regularly update the drivers.

a single 780 would probably still struggle with med details as it lacks the processing power for that many pixels regarless how much ram it has. you would be better off with 2x 4gb 290's than 1x 6gb 780, just for the extra gpu power. Unless you were to get 1x 6gb 780 and see how it goes, then get another if you decide perofmrance isnt up to scratch. There is a fine line as to where the biggest performance hit is, running out of vram or running out of gpu processing power. Best not to run out of either!

Solution

Likewise hitman absolution hit 2.8gb usage on a single 1080p monitor at times on my pc (although i suspect that game just uses it as some kindd of buffer and uses whatever it has available), were now talking 3x 1440p....

getdamafiaonyou

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Go with the vapor-x, it runs cooler (and also looks better) also go with the 290x, idk why people still think crossfire has issues. One thing that swayed me on AMD for multi monitor is the ability to have hotkeys, meaning I can switch between eyefinity (for gaming) and extended desktop for every day/work, with only a key combination. When I had Nvidia cards I had to go in the settings every time and rearrange the monitors. That was always a pain. Go with dual vapor-x 290x's, you wont regret it.

ToaBomber

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
so I will be able to get medium settings at a decent framerate with daul r9 290x 4gb and what settings do you think I would be able to get and still get above 60 fps or would gtx 780 6gb be better for fps I want to make a very informed decision

getdamafiaonyou

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Currently I run 2x tri x 290s, 5760x1080p, The lowest I see in BF4 at ultra is about 55fps. The 290x will out perform the 780 at that resolution. As for what your fps will be like I honestly do not know as I have never seen benchmarks done for 3x 1440p. I would imagine with 2x 290x's (keep in mind you can OC the vapor X rather well) you can get playable fps on medium.

TRENDING THREADS