FX-8350 BSODS under 80-100% load

Newbie2pc

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
I know this looks long and i apologise, i have never been good at summing things up in as few words as possible..

SKIP TO THE BOTTOM IF THIS LOOKS TO LONG, lol

Here is my system:

CPU: Amd Fx-8350 processor (8 core 4ghz - 4.2 turbo)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 Amd 970 Chipset
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 OC 2GB
Hdd - Seagate Barracuda 2Tb Sata3 7200rpm Sata3 64mb (OS HDD) - also seagate barracuda 1Tb.
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws X 16Gb (8Gb x 2) Dual Channel DDR3-1600Mhz
Drive: Lite-on IHES212 12x Bluray Reader
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower
PSU: FSP RA-650 Raider Series 80+ Silver 650W Continuous
Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech MK270 Wireless
Hdmi to LG 32" 720p TV
Desktop Resolution: 1360 x768 60Hz
Gaming Resolution: 720P

Okay, Heres the problem. I had been having many issues with my pc failing to boot first time but always worked when you push the restart button on the case. but that went away - i think it was after an OS reinstall..

I also always had been having problems when the pc is under more or less full load (video converting/encoding/rendering dvd-bluray shrinking etc) and it usually resulted in a restart and BSOD the error was usually: WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR

I tried to find the problem but could not.

I recently bought a new HDD so i could install a vanilla OS and test (Plus it would be handy if i had to back everything up and return the pc)

i installed vanilla OS and then prime95 and ran all the tests for at least 30mins with no problems. then installed the stock drivers for the gtx 760 that came on the disc and ran prime 95. instantly cores began to fail and after a few minutes 3 cores had failed. i uninstalled the driver and prime 95 ran fine...

i also ran the same tests with amd overdrive with similar results.

fatal hardware error detected (prime95 error)
but prime95 runs fine without the gpu driver installed?
it cant be the specific driver because on my main os i have tried about 3 or 4 different drivers and am currently using 337.88 and the error still occurs. i am having to disable 2-3 cores and run encoding software (e.g Handbrake) on lowest priority to prevent BSods. The pc is fine under normal use though.

i tried removing the ram sticks one at a time and changing slots but the error still occured so unless both my ram sticks are bad its unlikely to be them.

I also dont think it could be temperature because its winter here and in a well ventilated place and the temperature never goes above about 58 degrees celsius.

it cant really be the PSU as its got plenty of power and the gpu etc is doing nothing when using prime 95..

i find it hard to see how it could be the motherboard or cpu/ gpu as it works fine until i install the gpu driver

but i find it hard to believe its the driver either as this is probably a reasonably common rig and i cant find anyone with the same problems... but it now seems to be the most obvious thing.

Also I believe the GPu is fine. its sweet using sikmod on doom3 with everything basically maxed and its algud under sleeping dogs and murdered soul suspect crysis 1 etc. those are probablyt the best pc games i have atm.

I have been dealing with this problem for about 9 months or so and i would like to sort this out already. the computer has an 18 month warrenty and they claimed to test it before they sent it to me, but i doubt they stress tested it or they wouldnt have sent it to me.

i dont understand its fine until i install the graphics driver.

SKIP TO HERE IF YOU WANT:

To sum up: The cpu runs fine in prime95 on a vanilla OS until i install the Graphics driver then 3 cores fail reporting hardware failures?

p.s - any comments welcome and dont bother reading all the crap above if you dont want to. just ask me instead, lol.

Many Thanks

Newbie2pc

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
i guess it could be. ill give it a try but since its still happening on a fresh OS (no software, games, files, updates - except for prime 95 and amd overdrive) i dont know how likely that is.

could be a slightly bad hdd and the windows files got a bit corrupted? i dunno.

p.s - that link you posted also said it could be psu and i guess thats possible. i install the gpu drivers so the gpu is active and requires more power and causes the cpu to not get enough?

thanks for the response btw

Newbie2pc

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Damn do i feel silly, lol.
How did i not figure that out earlier...

I found the answer: it was the ram was not set up right.. i had the ram set at 1600mhz and 10-10-10-30 1.5v as it was supposed to be, so i dont know why it wasnt working. I set it back to 1333mhz and changed the timings to 11-11-11-28 1.5v and everything worked. I then used the ram oc profile in the bios instead of doing it manually and it is now at 1600mhz 10-10-10-30 1.5v but now it works so it must have automatically changed something else that i missed when i did it manually.

so it WAS the ram....

but now its fixed - no more throttling back the cores for video editing, no more bsod's - YAY!

Man do i feel stupid for taking about 8 months (when i bought the pc) to figure out the problem...

oh, well - Thanks for the help and maybe this will be useful for someone else as noob as me.

: )