Solved

What's The Best Way To Upgrade From 12 GB To 16 GB Ram On My Dell Laptop?

Hello All!

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 (5547) laptop (see it on Dell's Website). My particular model, which I bought from Costco, came with 12 GB ram. I want to upgrade my ram to 16 GB but I need to know what my current configuration is. I don't know if it's 8 + 4 GB, 6 + 6 GB, etc.

My first question is, how can I check the memory slot configuration? Is there a software program that will do this or do I have to physically open the panel and check?

My second question is, should I not worry about my current configuration and just buy 2 x 8 GB modules and toss out the old ones? I think I read somewhere that it's better to match memory modules anyway. The thing is, however, I just checked Newegg.com and it's about $150 for 2 8 GB memory modules. If one of my laptop's slot's already has 8 GB I would save some money.

Let's assume for now that my laptop is configured with 8 + 4 GB modules and I decide to toss the 4 GB and buy 1 x 8 GB module. Is there anything I need to be careful of? Do I need to find out all the information I can about the current 8 GB module and then use this information to make sure my new 8 GB module matches? If they don't match 100% does it really matter?

Thank you!

Jan
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade ram dell laptop
  1. Can you download CPU-Z, and then go to the SPD tab. You will be able to see what size cards are installed.

    I would say that your laptop has one 8GB card and one 4GB card, i don't think there are 6GB cards.

    If i may ask, why do you need to upgrade to 16GB of RAM? 12GB is more than enough for pretty much everything currently.
  2. HWInfo will tell you.

    The only way you're going to have 12gb is with a triple channel mobo. You'll have 3 x 4gb.

    Next step up is 3 x 8gb
  3. bradsctt said:
    Can you download CPU-Z, and then go to the SPD tab. You will be able to see what size cards are installed.

    I would say that your laptop has one 8GB card and one 4GB card, i don't think there are 6GB cards.

    If i may ask, why do you need to upgrade to 16GB of RAM? 12GB is more than enough for pretty much everything currently.


    I will download that program now thanks. And yeah, I probably won't notice the difference. :)

    I would still like to know, if you mind answering, how important it is to match memory module and to what level do that have to match? Obviously if it's a DDR3 then you need to get DDR3 but I am thinking of specs like latency, speed, etc?

    Thank you.
  4. i7Baby said:
    HWInfo will tell you.

    The only way you're going to have 12gb is with a triple channel mobo. You'll have 3 x 4gb.

    Next step up is 3 x 8gb


    I will checkout that program too thanks!
  5. 90% of the time with non-identical sticks of ram, you get pc problems eg bsod's
  6. Also, even with sticks that appear identical, there can still be issues sometimes.
  7. bradsctt said:
    Also, even with sticks that appear identical, there can still be issues sometimes.


    So I guess the bottom line is, unless I am buying from Dell, get 2 new matching sticks?
  8. Best answer
    tackyjan said:
    bradsctt said:
    Also, even with sticks that appear identical, there can still be issues sometimes.


    So I guess the bottom line is, unless I am buying from Dell, get 2 new matching sticks?


    No, they would still work. There are some uncommon cases of the cards still not working together properly, however its nothing to worry about. As long as the new card has the same speed, voltage and timings, it should be fine.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Memory RAM Configuration Dell