Solved

Very odd FPS drops during online games.

Greetings everyone,

I'm writing this post because I'm at the end of my rope.
Since a while back (about 2-3 months) my desktop has been acting strange when playing games.
A few minutes into a game I start having FPS drops lasting around 10 seconds out of nowhere. These then disappear for around 25-30 seconds and then return consistently with the aforementioned intervals.
I've been browsing the forums and the rest of the web and seeing similar problems I tried various solutions that sadly enough were unsuccesful.


My specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon X2 2800+ Dual core.
Nvidia Geforce 440GT
4 Gig Ram.
Windows 7 64 bit.

The games I am experiencing problems with:

League of Legends
The Elder Scrolls Online
Final Fantasy 14 A Realm Reborn.

Sidenote: I know my computer does not have amazing specs but something like League of Legends should run fine.

Various info:

-The drops occur no matter what settings. League of Legends for example runs uncapped at 90 FPS and then drops down to 5-10.
- There's no difference as to wether a lot is happening on screen or not.
- I suspected CPU throttling due to higher GPU temperatures and it seemed that was the problem for a while. After installing new fans my GPU now runs at 45 degrees and the problem still occurs.
- I've downloaded the Nvidia control panel addon to increase GPU fan speed to 100%. This solved the problem for a short time but then it came back again.
- I've reinstalled Windows and ran Malwarebytes/Combofix in safemode with no problems found.
- I've updated all drivers.
- I've tried various settings like running windowed borderless mode and turning Vsync off.
- I've Uninstalled Pando media booster (League of Legends specific).
- I've checked for Packet loss/changed ethernet cables.
- I've cleaned out all fans in the PC and reapplied new thermal paste (including GPU).
- Disabled Cool 'n Quiet and changed Windows Power Settings to run at max performance.
- No Overclocks, checked RAM Timers and voltages.
- Reset CMOS by removing Motherboard battery and purging current.
- Checked mobo for blown condensers etc.

The things I do know:

- The problem started after replacing my PSU after a power surge.
- The problem only seems to affect online games. (Sims 3 runs stable. If you can call Sims 3 stable :P)
- Temperature naturally rises during games but never exceeds throttling benchmark.


I either missed some crucial thing but I just don't know anymore and I'm really hoping you guys can help me with your expertise.
If there is any information missing please let me know. This is the first time I'm posting something like this.

Thanks in advance and apologies for the wall of text,

-Aru.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about odd fps drops online games
  1. Hm. Interesting. Maybe after the surge some LAN driver flipped out and is giving you problems. Try running the task manager, and see if there's something that's using an abnormal amount of CPU when the drop happens.

    I assume you've also looked at your CPU temps, not only your GPU temps?
    Are you sure it's not throttling? Throttling is not only GPU dependent, but can also be motherboard dependent. If the motherboard components get too hot, it can also throttle.
  2. NightAntilli said:
    Hm. Interesting. Maybe after the surge some LAN driver flipped out and is giving you problems. Try running the task manager, and see if there's something that's using an abnormal amount of CPU when the drop happens.

    I assume you've also looked at your CPU temps, not only your GPU temps?
    Are you sure it's not throttling? Throttling is not only GPU dependent, but can also be motherboard dependent. If the motherboard components get too hot, it can also throttle.


    Hi and thank you for replying :D.

    I'm not close to my desktop at the moment but I'll do a HWmonitor run tonight to check temps while in a custom League of Legends game and report back asap.

    Thanks again for your time.
  3. NightAntilli said:
    Hm. Interesting. Maybe after the surge some LAN driver flipped out and is giving you problems. Try running the task manager, and see if there's something that's using an abnormal amount of CPU when the drop happens.

    I assume you've also looked at your CPU temps, not only your GPU temps?
    Are you sure it's not throttling? Throttling is not only GPU dependent, but can also be motherboard dependent. If the motherboard components get too hot, it can also throttle.


    Alright I've done some tests and found some more interesting things.

    The temps seem to be stable. Both CPU cores are running at 58-60 degrees during League of Legends.
    GPU runs at 47. Task manager does not show any unusual spikes in CPU usage. I've checked incoming and outgoing network connections and everything seems normal on that side.

    The Interesting thing occurs when leaving something on the foreground running (Task Manager for example).
    With a window on the foreground the game runs at 14 FPS in the background due to FPS background limiting. The FPS drops do not occur during this time. Soon as I minimize the window the drops start occuring again.
    I've lowered the FPS cap to 30 and this seems to stabilize it somewhat but as soon as I engage a fight (no difference between 2 or 10 people) the drops occur.
    It almost seems as if it's a League of Legends problem but it's the lightest game to run on the machine.

    I hope you got something out of this.
  4. Best answer
    Ok. This is very unusual... At least we eliminated some possibilities. I still have a few other things to check..

    How is your memory usage? Might be that 4GB is limiting the application, and since it can't load everything into memory, every time something 'new' happens in the game, it needs to use your hard drive, causing a frame drop. Just a possibility we need to verify. Although it would be weird if it wasn't doing this before.

    Do you still get the drops if you set everything on minimum? Any drop is significant, so if it drops to 40 fps from 120 fps (just an example) on the same regularity as right now from 90 to 10, that counts.
  5. NightAntilli said:
    Ok. This is very unusual... At least we eliminated some possibilities. I still have a few other things to check..

    How is your memory usage? Might be that 4GB is limiting the application, and since it can't load everything into memory, every time something 'new' happens in the game, it needs to use your hard drive, causing a frame drop. Just a possibility we need to verify. Although it would be weird if it wasn't doing this before.

    Do you still get the drops if you set everything on minimum? Any drop is significant, so if it drops to 40 fps from 120 fps (just an example) on the same regularity as right now from 90 to 10, that counts.


    Hi NightAntilli and thanks again for responding.

    Memory usage seems to be stable for as far as I know and the FPS drop remains the same at whatever settings I do it at. Your comment about using the hard drive as memory actually did trigger something in me.
    I changed the pagefile size to go to the recommended settings and things seem to be stable for now. There was a spike once in a game yesterday but the other 4 remained fine.
    I'll keep an eye on it and I really hope it's fixed now.
    I appreciate the help tremendously and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    I'll report back in a few days (or earlier if the problem returns).
  6. Glad to help. Let me know if that fixed the issue :)
  7. NightAntilli said:
    Glad to help. Let me know if that fixed the issue :)


    Well I've played some games and stuff seems to be back to normal.
    Thanks for the help and inspiration ;D
    I really appreciate it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Temperature Support Games FPS Graphics Help Desk