which 1150 cpu cooler to get?

Liamjmullen1998

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2013
I currently have an i7 4770k cooled by the stock heatsink. I get about 40c idle but im looking to upgrade and get something better. Im not bothered if the cooler is air or water i would just like some suggestions on what i should get. I want a cooler that will be able to accommodate high profile ram and isn't overly loud. Please tell me your recommendations
Thanks

Solution
I had the hyper 212 Evo and it worked pretty good on my 4670k even at an overclock of 4.4 ghz (1.212v) in the lower 60's c with 7 case fans. Its not really the idle temperatures that you should be worried about, its the load temperature because high temperatures is where damage may occur. If you want to achieve a moderate overclock (or even stock) you would be fine with the hyper 212 evo. If you have a good chip***. The hyper 212 evo is kind of big so make sure that it will fit in your case. It does a pretty good job especially for the price it is.

The case also plays a part in your temperatures as well, as far as how many intake fans you have and the air flow of the case. If you have bad air flow and its just pushing hot air around...

Ytyoussef

Distinguished
I would suggest a corsair H110 for a high-end AIO. It's quieter and runs cooler than the H100i, and I've seen it at the same price as the H100i a couple of times. (I'm assuming you want to overclock, as a high-end cooler like that wouldn't be necessary for stock speeds at all.)

For a budget option, I would also recommend the Hyper 212 Evo.

dispositional

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
I had the hyper 212 Evo and it worked pretty good on my 4670k even at an overclock of 4.4 ghz (1.212v) in the lower 60's c with 7 case fans. Its not really the idle temperatures that you should be worried about, its the load temperature because high temperatures is where damage may occur. If you want to achieve a moderate overclock (or even stock) you would be fine with the hyper 212 evo. If you have a good chip***. The hyper 212 evo is kind of big so make sure that it will fit in your case. It does a pretty good job especially for the price it is.

The case also plays a part in your temperatures as well, as far as how many intake fans you have and the air flow of the case. If you have bad air flow and its just pushing hot air around your case it will result in your temperatures being hotter.

If you would like to go for a higher overclock I would recomend one of corsairs Hydro series closed loop water coolers. They come in many different sizes, I have the H105 and I am happy with it. With the fan speed on low I get better temps than the Hyper 212 at a much quieter level when doing day to day computing. When doing very intensive stuff and all 4 fans on it are running at full blast it is a lot louder, but it does have much lower temps.

Basically ive tried both and if you have the money, want lower temps, want it quieter, and are not bothered by water cooling then go with one of the Hydro series.

Solution