Video Card Upgrade for Precision T7400?

everydaytech

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
Ive been out of the PC game world for several years and now that my son is getting old enough to do and learn some things I have acquired a Dell Precision T7400 from parts being recycled from work. Yes, I realize the T7400 is old and EOL, but a free pc with 32 GB of ram with a 250GB SSD runnin Win7x64 (of course) is really hard to pass up. Obviously these were engineering pc's with their quadro fx400 video cards so the arent going to be doing any kinda gaming.

I dont expect to be doing the highest graphics settings of the latest games, but i am looking to upgrade the video card to something decent. Would a EVGA GTX 760 work for what I am looking for or would there be a better choice?

Solution
I would assume it would have 6/8pin connectors (and a lot of them) if its 1000W, you should be fine there. The age of the PSU is a concern though, but is probably fine. I dont think Dell would put the same generic PSU's in their top-tier workstation machines as they do in their bottom of the barrel $400 consumer systems.

Really, you can put whatever card you want in there.
You will find that price/performance tends to peak around the $250-300 pricepoint, and that kind of card is generally good to game at near max settings at 1080p for a year or two before starting to show its age.

To tie into what Avarice said, if your at all competent at building computers, I suggest pulling it apart and putting it back together with your kid.

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
The power supply seems to be a custom design for Dell - not a big surprise - but it does pose a bit of a challenge in upgrading it if needed for the GPU upgrade.

You may want to do a bit of father son bonding - and buy a mid-tower or full tower case he likes; a quality PSU (around 500W ) and the EVGA GTX 760 you had mentioned (I have a similar card and it works just fine for every game I have played - just not on full ultimate high detail).

Once you get these items work with him and teach him the parts and the considerations for building a PC.

everydaytech

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
I would hope the PSU is up to par, it comes with a 1000W supply. I would hope to keep the budget around $200 but if I need to go $300 if it would help that much more so be it.

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006

It's good to have details. I would go ahead with your plan for now. Us PSU snobs like quality - as it saves the rest of the system. If DELL designed this for more of an enginering appraoch - I would hope there is a little quality put into the build.

If you do have issues with the PSU - follow my previous suggestion - you have the foundation for a reasonable gaming PC.

I would assume it would have 6/8pin connectors (and a lot of them) if its 1000W, you should be fine there. The age of the PSU is a concern though, but is probably fine. I dont think Dell would put the same generic PSU's in their top-tier workstation machines as they do in their bottom of the barrel $400 consumer systems.

Really, you can put whatever card you want in there.
You will find that price/performance tends to peak around the $250-300 pricepoint, and that kind of card is generally good to game at near max settings at 1080p for a year or two before starting to show its age.

To tie into what Avarice said, if your at all competent at building computers, I suggest pulling it apart and putting it back together with your kid.

Solution

everydaytech

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014

Thanks for th advice avarice. I would certainly hope that Dell put some quality into it, but i will certainly keep that in mind. My son is 11 so he's not exactly into builds just yet, but we're getting there. 21 years ago when I was 15 I was already ripping out and tearing apart my parents pc trying to add a lousy 4GB of ram just to play the first command and conquer...ahhh those were the days. But i think for now this father-son bond would be more of the likes of 'make the best of what you have or wait ill you get a job' kinda deals lol

everydaytech

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014

Thanks manofchalk, its been several years...feels more like decades since i last bought a gaming card, i have to familiarize myself with the latest graphics hardware. One day he'll want to know the ins and outs of pc hardware and ill be happy to go over it with him. I have done desktop/end user support fo several years now, most of my users are engineers (hence the excess inventory of precisions sent out for recyling that i saved to build this one up.)