Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

ASUS Sabertooth 990fx VS. ASUS CROSSHAIR V Formula for AMD FX-8350

Tags:
  • Sabertooth
  • Corsair
  • fx
  • AMD
  • 8350
  • crosshair
  • Motherboards
  • v
  • Asus
  • Formula
Last response: in Motherboards
August 13, 2014 11:10:53 AM

Hey guys,
I'm gonna build a gaming pc my hardware config is as below;

AMD FX-8350
Cooler master hyper 212x cpu cooler
Sapphire 270x boost oc 2gb
corsair vengeance 2x8gb ram
wd caviar green 1tb hdd
Corsair vs650
3 extra cabinet fans

please help me to know, which mobo is better for this rig?

Asus sabertooth 990fx OR ASUS CROSSHAIR V Formula?

More about : asus sabertooth 990fx asus crosshair formula amd 8350

a c 576 À AMD
a c 385 V Motherboard
a c 141 Ĉ ASUS
August 13, 2014 11:11:51 AM

There is no real reason to get the Formula.
The sabertooth is an all around great board, with plenty of OC capabilities.
m
0
l
a c 126 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
August 13, 2014 11:16:24 AM

You dont need the crosshair unless you plan on balls to the walls ocing or a custom loop, the sabertooth is very durable and also it's a neutral colour so fits in with any rig
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 154 À AMD
a c 80 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 13, 2014 11:19:40 AM

'Green' WD drives are better used for HTPC, data storage and backups ... a 'Blue' or 'Black' WD (with an SSD for the OS?) is a better solution.

The Sabertooth is a fine mobo -- actual gains may be marginal moving up to the CHV unless you are a crazsy OC tweaker :o 

m
0
l
a c 78 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
August 13, 2014 11:38:33 AM

...guys, you're also avoiding looking at what he's doing.

He's got a mid-range processor and the rest of the build is budget...

So why in the WORLD are you recommending he buy a $180 motherboard that's going to give him no practical benefit?
m
0
l
a c 126 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
August 13, 2014 11:40:43 AM

Cause yolo
m
1
l
August 13, 2014 11:47:50 AM

DarkSable said:
...guys, you're also avoiding looking at what he's doing.

He's got a mid-range processor and the rest of the build is budget...

So why in the WORLD are you recommending he buy a $180 motherboard that's going to give him no practical benefit?


so which mobo should I buy?
well I'll upgrade other components in future...
m
0
l
a c 126 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
August 13, 2014 11:54:25 AM

A cheap am3 one will be fine
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 13, 2014 11:58:09 AM

If you're upgrading, you wouldn't be able to keep the motherboard, because any upgrade past the fx 8350 on AMD's lineup, is just an overclocked 8350. You'd have to do a whole switch to intel, which would be pretty costly.

As for a straight answer to your question, the sabertooth is overkill alerady. If you want to stick with AMD, just get that if you want a high end motherboard, otherwise get a gigabyte 970a ud3p (if you don't need crossfire/SLI)
(http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga970...)

or MSI 970 gaming (if you want SLI/Crossfire).
(http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-970gaming)
m
1
l
August 13, 2014 12:11:31 PM

Calnin said:
If you're upgrading, you wouldn't be able to keep the motherboard, because any upgrade past the fx 8350 on AMD's lineup, is just an overclocked 8350. You'd have to do a whole switch to intel, which would be pretty costly.

As for a straight answer to your question, the sabertooth is overkill alerady. If you want to stick with AMD, just get that if you want a high end motherboard, otherwise get a gigabyte 970a ud3p (if you don't need crossfire/SLI)
(http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga970...)

or MSI 970 gaming (if you want SLI/Crossfire).
(http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-970gaming)

I'll stick to AMD, But yes I'll upgrade other components for sure..

m
0
l

Best solution

a c 78 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
August 13, 2014 12:15:22 PM

yoyodolo said:
I'll stick to AMD, But yes I'll upgrade other components for sure.


Which still means there's no point in spending your money on a motherboard.

Get the FX-8350, decently cheap motherboard, a Hyper 212 EVO, 8GB of RAM, and a good power supply; you only need a 550w one, but it needs to be well-made.

Those parts won't have to be upgraded.

With the money that you save from not buying a ridiculous motherboard, you can get a Western Digital Blue, which is a much better option, AND probably either a cheap SSD or a better video card.

There are far better places to spend your money than on a motherboard that gives little to no benefit.

Share
August 13, 2014 12:15:51 PM

legend001523 said:
A cheap am3 one will be fine


Thanks But I'll not buy another mobo, please help me to buy one of them, give your recommendation for one them and explain why it is better than other..
m
0
l
a c 126 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
August 13, 2014 12:17:19 PM

Get the sabertooth then, cheaper and sam performance
m
0
l
August 13, 2014 12:19:24 PM

legend001523 said:
Get the sabertooth then, cheaper and sam performance

both are nearly at same price but I'm getting crosshair for cheaper price

m
0
l
a c 126 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b À AMD
August 13, 2014 12:22:21 PM

K, you won't be disappointed with it, have fun with it
m
0
l
August 13, 2014 7:11:50 PM

If you get the sabertooth 990fx r2 gen 3 you will have pcie 3.0 support if you plan on upgrading you graphics card. It's a great board too, just as good at oc as formula z. got one myself!
m
0
l
August 14, 2014 8:23:58 AM

jzazmann said:
If you get the sabertooth 990fx r2 gen 3 you will have pcie 3.0 support if you plan on upgrading you graphics card. It's a great board too, just as good at oc as formula z. got one myself!


Yes, but it's not really PCI-E 3.0 support, technically. It's an added-on chip that still interfaces with the CPU via PCI-E 2.0 lanes, iirc.
m
0
l
August 14, 2014 11:49:55 AM

Try the 990FXA-UD3 by Gigabyte it is $128 on Newegg compared to $185 for the Sabertooth. Take the money you saved and get an R9 280x, you can get a new one from Sapphire for $280 and it might be an error but you can get the same card I think for $250 also on Newegg right now.
In case you want to know my rig is:
FX-8320
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
8 GB 2x4GB Kingston Hyperx Beast
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
WD Black 1TB
XFX PRO 850W
XFX R9 280X
It is completely black
m
1
l
a c 3785 V Motherboard
a c 1001 Ĉ ASUS
a c 946 À AMD
August 14, 2014 11:58:46 AM

Sabertooth REV 2 is the best.
m
0
l
August 14, 2014 11:49:21 PM

IamJesus said:
Try the 990FXA-UD3 by Gigabyte


Nice choice. Just so happens, that's the exact board I'm currently using as well. Stuck a 4350 in it and Crossfire'd XFX 7850 1gb's.

Love it. Except for the lack of 4-pin PWM fan headers.
m
0
l