R9 280 overclocked to R9 280X specs??

EmnicJr

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Is it possible for me to save some cash and purchase an R9 280 and then overclock its GPU and memory to 280X specifications? Or is this not a possible feat with the 280?

Solution
no better performance is guaranteed .......oc increases the performance the card it will not be better than the r9 280x but it will able to keep up with it...same goes for r9 270 and 270x....they are basically the same cards with higher factory clock speed..
no better performance is guaranteed .......oc increases the performance the card it will not be better than the r9 280x but it will able to keep up with it...same goes for r9 270 and 270x....they are basically the same cards with higher factory clock speed..

Solution

yoyodolo

Reputable
May 29, 2014
just buy r9 280x without thinking too much and wasting your precious time, it will be better than r9 280 in all conditions, r9 280x is unlocked for oc and the 'x' versions have better cooling than normal one.

wrong ........every gpu is unlocked for oc and oc doesn't requires much time and the cooling depends on the brand if u buy a reference 280x it will not give u good cooling plus r9 280x have higher tdp 250 watt compared to 200 if performance matters to someone over the price then go for 280x u can oc it to much higher but if u dont want to spend extra 50 -70 $ on a card just for 5 % performance go for r9 280....

Brunostako

Honorable

Dude, where did you read that? That's not true.

I also recommend going directly to R9 280X to not spend extra time on a risky procedure. But the name of the GPU doesn't say anything about its OC capabilities.

The only thing he has to do is look for one with a good cooling system. Also, i think if he buys a reference card, there may be an aftermarket liquid cooling system, but I really don't know if that exists.

its not about the selection its about the fact......they have same architecture they are basically the same card and the fact is that it could be oc to the clock speed of r9 280x ......watch this video its about r9 270 and 270x same goes for r9 280 and 280x ....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa-H2auvlHs

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

Your opinion is wrong.

My 7950 equals or betters 7970 ghz edition performance.

Overclocking is free and carries no risk if you do it properly.

The most important thing is getting an aftermarket cooling version of a 280, then yes you get a 280x for less.

Brunostako

Honorable
That "if done correctly" is the point.
If it is about free performance, why not buying a R9 280X, OC it and have similar performance to the R9 290?
I hold my opinion, because is not wrong, is just that I don't like risks. Go with the R9 280X.

again wrong 280x is not similar to the r9 290 ............a lot of people oc their card and processors i personally dont oc anything which is my choice but that does not means oc damages the product and it shouldn't de done......and their are a ton of safe oc guide in youtube for processors and GPU .....if oc is that bad then no one would have done it or the k version processors and the z version mobo shouldn't be introduced.....you are just saying you cannot oc the r9 280 which is totally incorrect....

EmnicJr

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Thanks for all the useful information everybody, but if i were to OC the 280, which am cooler would you recommend to cool it efficiently enough? I'm also trying to shove this beast of a card into a mini-ITX form factor, so the coolers can't be longer than 13.5 inches. Thanks in advance.