Solved

Opinion On First Gaming Build!

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ypNgrH
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ypNgrH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS228H-P 21.5" Monitor ($127.58 @ Newegg)
Total: $905.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-13 19:08 EDT-0400

Would this be a good gaming build? Also I was trying to get the lowest price possible for a build that can handle most/all games at a pretty good frame rate. Is there any way to lower the price but still get a great gaming experience? Any advice would be helpful, thanks!
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about opinion gaming build
  1. this should be able to handle most modern games at 60 fps. Most of them on highest settings. I have a similiar build, and i can handle bf4 on ultra at 60 fps+. But use 2x4 gb ram instead, i'ts much faster.
  2. Best answer
    grab the 280x, near same price point and the next step up. The sapphire dual x right now is like $5 bucks more.

    If this is only gaming I'd get a 2x4 8gb kit. If you plan on doing other things stick with 1x8 as it allows for full expansion. Also, the performance difference between the two isn't noticeable as RAM provides such little difference in system performance 99% of the time.
  3. there is no reason buying a Z-series MOBO if you are not going to buy a K-series (unlocked) intel processors to OC and MSi is not that great at MOBO products thats what i heard and im hearing that over and over again try searching for some other but thats really a personal opinion i whould not go with MSi mobo
  4. MSi is great mobo maker, only down side is some people complain their UEFI isn't as easy to use as other, but quality and etc they are right up there. My MSi is over 4 years old and going strong, plus their built in OC tool helped me get more life out of my aging i5.
    But yes, go with a h97 mobo if you don't use a k series.
  5. woltej1 said:
    grab the 280x, near same price point and the next step up. The sapphire dual x right now is like $5 bucks more.

    If this is only gaming I'd get a 2x4 8gb kit. If you plan on doing other things stick with 1x8 as it allows for full expansion. Also, the performance difference between the two isn't noticeable as RAM provides such little difference in system performance 99% of the time.


    Can you explain to me or give me a comparison between the two GPUs? Thanks!
  6. Are you talking about the GPUs? the 280x competes with the 770, which is the step up from the 760.
  7. woltej1 said:
    Are you talking about the GPUs? the 280x competes with the 770, which is the step up from the 760.


    OK, thanks.
    Also the regular Sapphire R9 280X is $240 while the Dual-X one is $260. Is there a big difference between these two? And are there big differences between the different brands of the 280X like MSI or Asus or Sapphire?
  8. woltej1 said:


    How's the i5 750? Feels pretty old in comparison with the r9 280x :P
  9. Jovan93 said:
    there is no reason buying a Z-series MOBO if you are not going to buy a K-series (unlocked) intel processors to OC and MSi is not that great at MOBO products thats what i heard and im hearing that over and over again try searching for some other but thats really a personal opinion i whould not go with MSi mobo


    How could you say no, to a MOBO this Rexxy: http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=1876429
  10. woltej1 said:
    MSi is great mobo maker, only down side is some people complain their UEFI isn't as easy to use as other, but quality and etc they are right up there. My MSi is over 4 years old and going strong, plus their built in OC tool helped me get more life out of my aging i5.
    But yes, go with a h97 mobo if you don't use a k series.


    William Norberg said:
    Jovan93 said:
    there is no reason buying a Z-series MOBO if you are not going to buy a K-series (unlocked) intel processors to OC and MSi is not that great at MOBO products thats what i heard and im hearing that over and over again try searching for some other but thats really a personal opinion i whould not go with MSi mobo


    How could you say no, to a MOBO this Rexxy: http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=1876429


    dont know just dont feal comfortable with it couse i really prefer ASUS over MSi thats just a personal opinion i had luck with ASUS allways and i very much like theirs products
  11. William Norberg said:
    woltej1 said:


    How's the i5 750? Feels pretty old in comparison with the r9 280x :P


    it's going great. Bought a hyper212 cooler and used my MSi board to auto OC it 600mhz and it is holding up fine. Figured if it did well I would just run this CPU till it dies or another GPU upgrade is needed and then I think it's time to throw in the towel on the 750. Just goes to show how unnecessary it is to upgrade the CPU vs GPU.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Computers Systems Build