$300 cost for a shop building my pc..?

ForestDingo

Honorable
Aug 13, 2014
Just wondering if people know what's the standard price for shops building your PC for you.

He said it was around $300, or $80 an hour (if I watch/have questions)

I might just build it myself, but I'm so lazy and I don't trust myself with the pieces.

Solution
I reccomend doing some reading about computer builds in your free time and when you feel comfortable enough, do it yourself. $300 is a ridiculous price for someone to build your computer for you. Doing it yourself is a good experience to have and you learn a lot about computer hardware in the process.

If you really must let someone else do it for you, you should atleast look around and see which computer shop offers the lowest price.

nathan4102

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
I reccomend doing some reading about computer builds in your free time and when you feel comfortable enough, do it yourself. $300 is a ridiculous price for someone to build your computer for you. Doing it yourself is a good experience to have and you learn a lot about computer hardware in the process.

If you really must let someone else do it for you, you should atleast look around and see which computer shop offers the lowest price.

Solution

ForestDingo

Honorable
Aug 13, 2014

I'll be waiting for the 880 to come out next month anyway, so I suppose I will hit up some youtube vids and tutorials about it.

Its like playing Lego's only not for kids. If it fits its good.

ForestDingo

Honorable
Aug 13, 2014

Fitting the pieces together isn't too big a deal. I'm more concerned with the wiring, thermal paste (whatever) on the cpu and getting that right, as well as trouble-shooting any potentional problems. I don't want to have to play around in Bios or any place I'm not comfortable with.

actually $300 isnt bad if you watch and he has to stop what hes doing to answer questions.if you dont watch or interrupt it will probably be a lot less.this is probably a punitive labor charge as no tech,computer or otherwise,likes anybody looking over his shoulder.lol

nathan4102

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
The wiring is very simple, power and data transfer cables to your HDDs, a big mobo cable, a little mobo cable, a CPU fan cable, some other small mobo cables that the manual describes and you're good to go. If you get a CPU with a stock cooler, you don't need to worry about the thermal paste. It's already been applied, just mount the cooler and don't take it off again! (tbh its not that big of a deal, I removed my cooler from my CPU then re-attatched without new paste and I get fine temps) You shouldn't need to change any advanced bios settings. You may need to play with the boot settings however to install your OS to the HDD. If anything goes wrong, you always have us here to help!