Solved

Is This a Good Build for gaming and video rendering?

is this a good build
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.99 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($178.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($142.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.50 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N10 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($11.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1305.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-14 18:01 EDT-0400
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about good build gaming video rendering
  1. Swap the GPU for a R9 280 (better OpenCL performance) and it will be a great build.
  2. Yeah Very good but u might wanna swap the GTX 760 for a 280X which is better and will cost you 20 more bucks. For Video Editing the 16Gb and Core i7 are needed which is a good choice but you could go for the K version to get the most out of your motherboard anyways solid build.
  3. TopLuca said:
    Yeah Very good but u might wanna swap the GTX 760 for a 280X which is better and will cost you 20 more bucks. For Video Editing the 16Gb and Core i7 are needed which is a good choice but you could go for the K version to get the most out of your motherboard anyways solid build.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.99 @ TigerDirect)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($178.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($142.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.50 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Dual-X Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N10 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($11.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1315.39
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-14 18:22 EDT-0400
  4. You might also want to look at a bigger SSD.

    With 16GB ram it probably won't be an issue and the 120GB is a nice size for the OS and some additional files, if rendering 4k video or some other very large files - being able to use the SSD for additional cache/swap (or faster saves of large completed files) wouldn't be a bad thing.

    Alternatively - wait till they are a little cheaper and no issue to have one SSD for OS/swap and a second for the source/completed files as you are working on them.
  5. menetlaus said:
    You might also want to look at a bigger SSD.

    With 16GB ram it probably won't be an issue and the 120GB is a nice size for the OS and some additional files, if rendering 4k video or some other very large files - being able to use the SSD for additional cache/swap (or faster saves of large completed files) wouldn't be a bad thing.

    Alternatively - wait till they are a little cheaper and no issue to have one SSD for OS/swap and a second for the source/completed files as you are working on them.

    i wont be really working with 4k but ill be watching the prices of ssds when they get cheap enough to buy a large size one without it costing so much.
  6. for video rendering why not go i7 4790k@ by overclocking you'll make it work bit faster and also get 2400mhz memory instead, will be better in rendering
  7. legend001523 said:
    for video rendering why not go i7 4790k@ by overclocking you'll make it work bit faster and also get 2400mhz memory instead, will be better in rendering


    $1300 is my budget
  8. Bombular said:
    legend001523 said:
    for video rendering why not go i7 4790k@ by overclocking you'll make it work bit faster and also get 2400mhz memory instead, will be better in rendering


    $1300 is my budget


    eoh.
  9. okay, how about this, you get a i5 4690k instead, 8gb of ram and then spend the rest on a 780 or 290? You can just render overnight
  10. legend001523 said:
    okay, how about this, you get a i5 4690k instead, 8gb of ram and then spend the rest on a 780 or 290? You can just render overnight


    because i will get better performance out of the i7 and 16gb of ram and dont want to screw around with overclocking and while editing it will be more smoother
  11. Best answer
    Bombular said:
    legend001523 said:
    okay, how about this, you get a i5 4690k instead, 8gb of ram and then spend the rest on a 780 or 290? You can just render overnight


    because i will get better performance out of the i7 and 16gb of ram and dont want to screw around with overclocking and while editing it will be more smoother


    Your Build with the 280X is definitely wonderful , stick with it ;)
  12. Bombular said:
    legend001523 said:
    okay, how about this, you get a i5 4690k instead, 8gb of ram and then spend the rest on a 780 or 290? You can just render overnight


    because i will get better performance out of the i7 and 16gb of ram and dont want to screw around with overclocking and while editing it will be more smoother


    understandable
Ask a new question

Read More

Components