i7 4770 vs. i7 4790

thejoker175

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
I'm building my first gaming PC and I don't know if I should choose the i7 4790 or the i7 4770. The 4790 is about $10 cheaper. I know it's a small amount of money but I just don't want to waste money on something that I don't need. Is there a noticeable difference? Also, should I use the stock CPU cooler that comes with either of them or should I buy a separate one?

Solution
You don't really need it, and the difference at the moment is probably non-existent.

However, almost anyone would say its worth the extra cash. IT starts with about 14% more performance currently, and can be overclocked higher giving better performance overall. Right now this means little, but 5 years from now that extra bit could really help.

thejoker175

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

So the 4770 would be a better choice?

the 4770 runs at 3.4ghz(turbo to 3.9ghz) while the 4790 runs at 3.6ghz(turbo to 4.0ghz). the difference is purely core clock. i see the 4790 right now cheaper than the 4770... $290 vs $300... so obviously the faster chip that costs less is the better choice. though you could get the xeon 1230v3 for $250(3.3ghz and 3.7ghz turbo) and your not going to notice much difference but you would be saving $40-50 and depending on your budget that could mean the difference between a gtx760 and a gtx770... or whatever graphics card you are looking at... netting you a higher tier graphics card which is what you really want if its all about gaming.

and it should be said... if this is purely for gaming and nothing else... just get an i5... the i7 will provide you with 1-3fps at best while the $80 saved and put toward a higher tier gpu will get you 5-15fps depending on what models you are looking at.

That is true the Xeon CPU is a great choice if you want to save money and the performance is very close to that of the others. Same for the comparison in gaming performance, except I would say it goes a bit further. $80 in a GPU can make a differences of 25FPS between some high end graphics cards.

Some games like watch dogs can have a bigger improvement from faster CPUs but its more of a one of a kind thing and it doesn't happen often a game is so hard on the CPU.

The only real reason to go 4790k is if at some point you want to overclock, because it has better cooling. If you will never overclock, then the Xeon CPU has a huge advantage in terms of price/performance ratio.

Solution