Solved

Is this system capable of running dual graphics cards?

Hello all, long-time PC gamer, first-time poster here.

I built my first gaming PC (as an adult) a few months ago with the help of my brother-in-law. It has the following specs:

i5-4670 3.4GHz CPU
ASRock Z87 Extreme3 mobo
GTX 760 Windforce 2GB
650W PSU
8 GB RAM
500GB HD (will get 120GB Samsung SSD soon)
Zalman 5 fan case
21.5" 1080p single monitor

My initial goal with the system was to get 60fps/1080p with Bioshock Infinite, though I haven't tested it on that specific game yet. The only demanding game I have played so far is Metro 2033, which averaged 40fps throughout with everything on & cranked.

Not bad, but a little less than I expected, and looking forward to 2015 and all the great games on the horizon, I could do with some more power.

So my question is, could my CPU/PSU, etc. handle 2x GTX 760 2GB Windforces?

I don't know a great deal about computers, and I realize that there may be more efficient alternatives to what I am proposing, but they are not an option.

I live in Korea and video cards are considerably more expensive than in Canada, where I'm from. For example, my 2GB Windforce cost 320,000won or about $340CAN/$315US.

Full disclosure, I need to keep this a secret from my wife. She would flip out if she found out that I was planning to add anything to my computer (even though I earn 80% of our income, go figure.) The Windforce is a card I know I can buy locally and pay cash--no data trail.

Also, it seems like it would be the simplest thing to install.

Thanks all.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about system capable running dual graphics cards
  1. You can only handle it if you get a more Wattage PSU other than that the build is completely fine.
  2. Best answer
    Could you list the brand of PSU or link. You're Motherboard is capable of running two GPUs, and you're CPU is great. But for SLI GTX 760 a 700w PSU is recommended, also the GPUs require two 8 pin + two 6 pin connectors. Also Metro 2033 is one of the hardest games to run, it give my Crossfire HD 7950s a run for their money, but you won't see a lot of games as demanding as that. The only I can think of are Metro LL, Far Cry 3, and The Witcher 2.
  3. Steel_Nugget said:
    Could you list the brand of PSU or link. You're Motherboard is capable of running two GPUs, and you're CPU is great. But for SLI GTX 760 a 700w PSU is recommended, also the GPUs require two 8 pin + two 6 pin connectors. Also Metro 2033 is one of the hardest games to run, it give my Crossfire HD 7950s a run for their money, but you won't see a lot of games as demanding as that. The only I can think of are Metro LL, Far Cry 3, and The Witcher 2.


    Oh, short by 50W, eh? The PSU is a Powerex Blackhawk (Korean brand):

    http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=244733452

    Most of that is in Korean, but if you scroll down there are full specs in English.

    Farther down it says it's got PCI-E x 4 and in brackets 8 (6+2)..something something Crossfire, so I think that's good?

    Thanks a lot for the info!
  4. TopLuca said:
    You can only handle it if you get a more Wattage PSU other than that the build is completely fine.


    Good to know, thanks!
  5. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_760_sli_review,4.html Here is where I got the info on the power. Also if you want (Since every article I've seen I can't read) you can see the reliability of the PSU, and see reviews on them. If the PSU is Tier 1 it should be fine even if it is only 650w.
  6. Hm, so dual cards look to be very power hungry. I guess that makes sense.

    In light of this new information, I'm going to contradict my original post a bit and ask:

    Would a single GTX 780 (provided I am able to find one) be better?
  7. CK7 said:
    Hm, so dual cards look to be very power hungry. I guess that makes sense.

    In light of this new information, I'm going to contradict my original post a bit and ask:

    Would a single GTX 780 (provided I am able to find one) be better?
    http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=1168&page=10 SLI GTX 760 would be faster then a GTX 780, but a GTX 780 will be faster then a single GTX 760. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfMYb1Jk0FU This show the gap between GTX 760 and GTX 780. (GTX 760 is a few frames slower then a GTX 670)
  8. Also, I'm not sure about in you're country but here in the US a R9 290 is cheaper than a GTX 780 while they perform very close. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06VeQNQpLiQ So check the prices in Korea.
  9. Ok, thanks for all the help, Steel.
  10. CK7 said:
    Ok, thanks for all the help, Steel.
    Np. May I ask what you decided on?
  11. I looked up the R9 290, and it is indeed over $150 cheaper than the 780, and less than half the price of the 780Ti. Further research is in order.

    I think, for the time being, my single 760 will be fine for 90% of the games I want to play.

    I'll wait and save up some more cash, and then splurge on one very powerful GPU, the best one my CPU & PSU can handle.
  12. Okay, have fun.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Systems