Mar 12, 2011
So hardware first
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition
8gb ram
Corsair cx 750 (brand new)
Sapphire 7950
MSI 7950

So the other day PSU died so was replaced. Mobo and CPU are less than 3 months old and cpu is only oc'ed to 4.4. and stable PRIME 95 tested. Temps are great... CPU around 50 c and GPU's never over 65. Problem

I can only run one card at a time. Doesn't matter which slot or which one. Install both and when enabling crossfire it'll crash, if not will crash the second and video is involved. Youtube, gaming, etc.
They are not overclocked.
I am not getting a BSOD so no dumps to check out. Kind of at a loss as to whats next. Any tips?

Dainius56

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
I should have mentioned for about a month there the Rosewill 850 would power both cards oc'ed to 1050/1450 and cpu oc'ed to 4.6 with no problems. That is only reason Im leaning towards this corsair being just fine for the job given the amount of reviews and research I did prior on it.

Dainius56

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
temps in crossfire run around 60-65... I have a gelid cooler on the MSI to help and the sapphire runs really cool... I would think the corsair could power them since the rosewill did for the longest... I don't even get a chance to check temps now with new PSU since comp locks up the second I do anything video related so they don't even come out of idle really which makes me think not PSU. The rosewill I had prior to the corsair was severely worse than the corsair. Not even having a single 12v rail to work with and it powered them for a bit.

Embra

Distinguished
CX models of Corsair use low end quality parts. They are their "budget" line and do not always provide consist performance. The issues you state make me think the PSU. The Roswill you had before is also not a great quality PSU.
You temps are good, no trouble with heat.
Take off your OC on cpu and see if it will run crossfire.

Dainius56

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Sry didn't have yime to post yesterday evening... I had already tried removing the oc and resetting bios to defaults as well. But yesterday I got to do a major driver cleaner overhaul . Ran through DDU a few times and rolled back drivers ti 14.4 and so far working fine no issues. Thanks for the input and taking time to help!

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

such poor quality that Jonnyguru has recommended them, even with their cheaper caps...

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Cool, I was going to suggest a fresh installation of windows to rule out any old software or driver issues, sounds like the driver clean up has done the trick.

I wouldnt worry about your PSU too much, Ive been using Corsair CX for ages, no issues, you can get problems with any brand/model, they arent as bad as people make out and still far better than the real low tier psus.