Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is this gaming rig good? Advices appreciated

Last response: in Components
Share
August 19, 2014 3:25:33 AM

Hi all, I want to buy myself new gaming rig and want your advices on it..

Here is the link of the parts I picked

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Proofy/saved/4KGbt6

Here's the list if you don't want to use the link

Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card
Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
SteelSeries Siberia V2 Headset
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit)

I will use LG 23EA63 23" IPS monitor. It max resolution is 1980x1080 and around 83 MHz which is why I picked GTX 770 graphic card because 780ti would be overkill in my opinion for that monitor.

PSU is a bit too pricey for me so could I get a cheaper one but still good for this rig ? (gold maybe instead of platinum). I'm planning to overclock CPU of course.
Also what do you think about CPU cooler, I have read that it is cooling better than h100i or h110 liquid coolers and that air coolers are more reliable than liquid atm.

Overall thoughts... should I change anything, I want this PC to last at least for the next 4 years.
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2014 3:35:20 AM

Unless you're planning to add another GTX 770 in the future you could save some money going for a smaller PSU. You will have plenty of power with a quality 650W unit. I agree that a 750W allows for future upgrades though if that was your plan! A gold rated PSU will be fine, the difference in efficiency is very small and your PC won't know the difference between a Silver, Gold or Bronze unit because you're not going to be running a 750W unit at anywhere near 100%, they will just make a small difference to your electric bill.

The Noctua is a nice cooler indeed and does remove the potential for liquid leakage :) 

It's a nice build though :) 
m
0
l
August 19, 2014 3:41:53 AM

Thanks for your answer, yes I also think that I can save some money on PSU because I don't think I will be upgrading it, I'll use it for 4-5 years sell it eventually and buy a new one. The reason I want gold or platinum PSU is because they have better safety if I lose electricity in the house while the computer is on. It happens few times during the winter when it's thundering so... Do you have any recommendations on other gold / platinum PSU-s that cost less?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2014 3:50:13 AM

Nice build!

Just changed the ram and PSU, otherwise great :) 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.67 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($96.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($311.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($34.99 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ OutletPC)
Headphones: SteelSeries Siberia V2 Headset ($67.49 @ Newegg)
Total: $1542.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-19 06:49 EDT-0400
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2014 3:51:59 AM

LucoTF said:
Nice build!

Just changed the ram and PSU, otherwise great :) 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.67 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($96.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($311.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($34.99 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ OutletPC)
Headphones: SteelSeries Siberia V2 Headset ($67.49 @ Newegg)
Total: $1542.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-19 06:49 EDT-0400


Good choice of PSU, OP I'd actually suggest that. As usual I've gone and forgotten to tick "all merchants" in PCPartpicker so the Capstone passed me by!
m
0
l
August 19, 2014 5:30:48 AM

Yea it's awesome PSU but there is none Rosewill PSU on the market in my country :( 
I will probably go with SeaSonic SSR-650RM in the end because I owned seasonic PSU for 5 years now never had trouble with it and I found it on the market for around 130$

This is the site where I have to find pc parts http://www.nabava.net/ since new egg and amazon don't ship to Croatia...

Also my RAM has to be very low profile because of the CPU cooler and I fear that ripjaw wouldn't fit ( and can't find it on the market also :( 

Thanks for the PSU suggestion! :) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2014 5:41:25 AM

Tried to save you some money without loosing performance,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LUCIFER 81.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($162.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($34.99 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ OutletPC)
Headphones: SteelSeries Siberia V2 Headset ($67.49 @ Newegg)
Total: $1487.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-19 08:40 EDT-0400

Maybe with a link like that can you put one there for every component needed if you want people to look for themselves.Make it price low->high.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2014 5:51:41 AM

The Seasonic PSU will be great. If XFX is available and cheaper in Croatia they are also made by Seasonic so would be a good choice too.

If your RAM fits, stick with it :) 
Share
August 19, 2014 6:39:44 AM

I have found these PSU from XFX brand

1.) XFX 650W Black Edition, XFX-P1-650B-BEFX (best one I guess)
2.) 650W, XFX XXX EDITION P1-650X-XXB9, ATX V2.2, 135MM VENT, PFC
3.) XFX 850W XXX Edition SR, XFX-P1-850X-XXB9

should i pick one of these instead of seasonic one ? and which ecactly
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2014 6:45:04 AM

Proofy said:
I have found these PSU from XFX brand

1.) XFX 650W Black Edition, XFX-P1-650B-BEFX (best one I guess)
2.) 650W, XFX XXX EDITION P1-650X-XXB9, ATX V2.2, 135MM VENT, PFC
3.) XFX 850W XXX Edition SR, XFX-P1-850X-XXB9

should i pick one of these instead of seasonic one ? and which ecactly


Pick the cheapest!
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2014 6:45:34 AM

Already got a good answer imo,


plywrlw said:
The Seasonic PSU will be great. If XFX is available and cheaper in Croatia they would be a good choice too.


m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2014 7:54:10 AM

Yep just go for whichever XFX or Seasonic is cheapest. If you want modular then pick the cheapest modular unit.

They are all good choices.
m
0
l
August 19, 2014 8:28:05 AM

Ok I have decided to go for XFX-P1-750S-NLB9 PSU

last questions...
1) It's haswell ready right ?

2) Will 750W be enough for all of the parts, OC-ing CPU to 4.7-5GHz and OC-ing GPU a little bit and 6 fans (3x140mm 1000rpm + 2x120mm 1350rpm + 2fans that are on noctua CPU cooler)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2014 8:32:52 AM

With a single gpu would 650watts already be more than enough.With 750 could you do sli.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 19, 2014 8:36:30 AM

1/ yes
2/ yes
m
0
l
August 19, 2014 8:41:00 AM

Thank you all so much, you helped me a lot! :) 
m
0
l
!