780 Classified vs 780 ti?

I Heart Llamas

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
Is the classified on par with the normal 780 ti? I've been trying to find benchmarks, but all of them were using different components. I'm going to upgrade my GPU and add some water cooling. The higher end 780 ti's are pretty much out of my price range. Thoughts?

Solution

the kingpin is definitely a further binned chip. like i said before, if your already going to spend $350 on a pump/rad/block, why not just spend the extra money for the gpu.... i mean, $350 can already buy you a gtx770 or maybe even an r9-290 on a good deal. if your not going to waterblock but you still like to have fun overclocking, get the classified. otherwise, most of the gk110s will overclock very good anyways 1.2ghz or so, which is still a noticeable performance improvement compared to out the box. otherwise... the $1100 you would spend on a single water cooled kingpin setup would be better spent on two simple 780s, unless...

getdamafiaonyou

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Personally I'd go with the 780ti, just make sure it's not voltage locked, then add your loop and OC it as desired, it'll perform just as good if not better then any higher end 780ti, and if you're liquid cooling you want a reference design anyway.

the 780 classified can easily pass up a reference 780ti and most out the box 780tis. but if your going to water cool you would be better off getting a 780ti classified kingpin. there is really no point in watercooling any other 780s except the lightning... the rest are either voltage locked or dont have the power delivery design to provide stable overclocks.

otherwise, i have benched it at 1375mhz@1.25v(133% power target) for quick unigine/3dmark runs, my 780 classified has a limit at about 81c in gaming a 1.212v@1300mhz core all on stock air, skynet bios, but i keep it at 1.20v@1250mhz and stay under 75c.

i dont really see how the higher ones are out of your price range. it will cost $350 for a d5 pump 240mm rad and an ek block for whatever card you choose... that still makes the regular classy about $900 just to get very high but stable clocks. another $125 for the ti version just makes sense at that price, or preferably the kingpin.

either get a regular classy and get as much out of it on air as you can or go with the kingpin and hit 1.6ghz under water, at which point it is very close to the performance of sli reference 780s.

I Heart Llamas

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014

Any benchmarks on heavy OCed Kingpins?

the classified is really the only model with the software available to push the gk110 to its limits... via the classified voltage tool. that tool allows core voltage up to 1.50v(780ti) and 1.35v(780), allows memory voltage control, and pwm control. none of the other models allow this much control on their controllers.

on top of all this, evga specifically allows you to remove this stock air cooler without voiding the warranty, and also allows you to flash the bios to whatever custom bios you want without voiding the warranty. good luck finding other manufactures who will allow these two key points for extreme overclocks.

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

the kingpin is definitely a further binned chip. like i said before, if your already going to spend $350 on a pump/rad/block, why not just spend the extra money for the gpu.... i mean, $350 can already buy you a gtx770 or maybe even an r9-290 on a good deal. if your not going to waterblock but you still like to have fun overclocking, get the classified. otherwise, most of the gk110s will overclock very good anyways 1.2ghz or so, which is still a noticeable performance improvement compared to out the box. otherwise... the $1100 you would spend on a single water cooled kingpin setup would be better spent on two simple 780s, unless your dead set on a single card or you have a mini itx build. i did see a 3930k+kingpin build stuffed into a bitfenix prodigy mini itx case cooled with two 200mm square radiators, pretty darn amazing to stuff so much power into such a tiny little case.

Solution