$1500 Final build review please!

Fromwithin

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
Hey guys, over the past week you guys have helped me a lot narrowing down all of my decisions on my new build. I'm back one final time for a final review before i order, just because I'd absolutely hate if i regret not getting something!

Here's my build so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v4rWJx

The main thing for me is the R9 290 or pay extra for the 780, and the pros/cons for 1600MHz ram vs 1866+
I was just wondering if the performance increase and features that come with NVidia, is it worth the premium? Same with the RAM

I'll be playing a lot of BF4 and newer games, along with some less intense games such as LoL and WoW all on a dual monitor 144Hz (1080p) setup. Any other questions I'd be happy to help you help me!

Thank you for your time!

-Blake

everything is fine and dandy
amd is better for lowend gaming
nvidia is better for high end gaming
if you arent on intense gaming go for R9 290

1866 is for OCers
if you wish to OC then get a 1866
but 1600 will be fine too

add an HDD im sure youll need it

Pr3di

Honorable
1. Drop the TIM.
2. If you plan to heavily OC, try and go for a Noctua NH-D14. If you will not OC, you`re dandy.
3. Go with a low profile RAM, because the tall one will interfere with the CM 212 Evo. 1600 is great if you will not OC your RAM just for 1-2% better speed.
4. AMD is a better bank for the buck, and the R9 290 will help you on dual screen.

Off-topic: @ patrichpachich

You lost me here:
"amd is better for lowend gaming
nvidia is better for high end gaming"

as in... WHAT?

Fromwithin

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014

This is gonna be a stupid question, but what do you mean drop the TIM?
Also, thank you for the response I'll grab Vengeance Low Profile RAM.
As long as NVidia doesn't offer crazy features I'd be using without knowing it I think I'll go with the 290.
I'll also be over clocking a fair bit, so I'd like the noctua, but jesus it's ugly, at least i think it would be with everything else in my case being black/gold D:
Thank you again

gizzard1987

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
actually that bit about the 1866 ram is for OCers is wrong. Most Haswells will run up to 2133 without needing to change anything. Some of the lesser haswells will need some slight tweaking, but thats about it. Haswell has also been proven to benefit greatly from ram over 1600.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell This pretty much just shows all the scaling and has useful information about the timings to look for if you purchase over 1600 RAM.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2014/march/haswellrealworld This shows some more scaling with an OCed i7@4.5 as well as a stock i7 at 3.5.

All in all 2133 seems to be the sweet spot for haswell, 2400 seems to be a very minute 1-2% gain in performance.

To everyone bashing the Intel fan, or the CM 212, both work just fine. I'm running my BONE STOCK FAN on my i7 4700k @ 4.3 GHz and I rarely exceed 60 degrees. I've been running like this for a year now with no problems. I game heavily and I do a lot of decrypting and compressing files and what not. Sometimes my PC stays on for 3-4 days at a time and I've yet to have any high points in my processor temps. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is a great fan, and only a few degrees higher than the Noctua D14. I hardly think that's worth another 50 bucks.

Fromwithin

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014

for low profile and 2133Mhz RAM, what would you recommend?

TRENDING THREADS