Is this 500 Watt PSU enough for this rig?

chaimek1

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Alright, So I had built my computer a few months ago and last week my computer wouldn't boot. I tried a lot of troubleshooting and what eventually got it was re-plugging all of the cables from the PSU and now it boots.
The question is- is 500 Watt enough for this buid?
Here are the specs
CPU- AMD FX 8320 Black Edition 3.5GHz AM3+ Boxed Processor
Motherboard- ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Socket AM3+ ATX AMD
Graphics Card- GeForce GTX 760 Overclocked 2048MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card
RAM- Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL11 Desktop Memory Kit Two 4GB Memory
Hard Drive- Toshiba 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
So I tried the extreme power supply calculator but it didn't give me the option to choose specific parts.
And one more quick question. Will adding a secondary monitor strain my PSU even more?

Solution
CX is not ideal for loads nears it capacity. 350W is the load it'll be taking. 500W is just a showcause, it can't withstand more than 350W continous stable load. So you'll be living on the edge. Its not about wattage, but rather quality, an Antec HCG 520W or XFX Pro 550W will easily handle that load.

Its good to keep load under 75% for CX or builder PSUs, and the ones I mentioned will work great even under 85% load, which is exactly what you need.

My advice: get Antec HCG/ EVGA B2/ XFX Pro/ SeaSonic MII/SII PSU with atleast 520W (HCG) or 550W (others) capacity.
What exact 500W model are we talking about?
If its a high quality PSU from Antec/ EVGA/ SeaSonic/ XFX then yes it'd be good enough to support your rig, if its the Corsair CX or builder type then no it can fail under high loads.
And no extra monitor will strain your GPU not PSU, monitor have a separate power supply from main line.

chaimek1

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

oh well in fact it is a corsair cx 500 watt so do you suggest getting a new PSU? and based on my specs how much wattage are we talking about?

CX is not ideal for loads nears it capacity. 350W is the load it'll be taking. 500W is just a showcause, it can't withstand more than 350W continous stable load. So you'll be living on the edge. Its not about wattage, but rather quality, an Antec HCG 520W or XFX Pro 550W will easily handle that load.

Its good to keep load under 75% for CX or builder PSUs, and the ones I mentioned will work great even under 85% load, which is exactly what you need.

My advice: get Antec HCG/ EVGA B2/ XFX Pro/ SeaSonic MII/SII PSU with atleast 520W (HCG) or 550W (others) capacity.

Solution

chaimek1

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

so I need extensions on the PSU for the case fans but none of those suggestions have extensions on the PSU

chaimek1

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

lol maybe in a few years when I am more confident in my computer skills, maybe then I'll try overclocking but for now I am just fine.

chaimek1

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Thank you for your help! And just to clarify, its not safe to use my computer until I install my new PSU?

chaimek1

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
so I got the new PSU and I plugged all the correct cables and the mobo shows it is getting power. When I turn it on all I get is a brief spin on the CPU fan and nothing else. any ideas?